New owner. Long-winded introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:19 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New owner. Long-winded introduction

Howdy all.

I just inherited a 2002 when my Dad passed a few months back. It's an Electron Blue coupe with 77K miles. It's an auto, so there's that. Many, many moons ago he would never have considered an automatic!

So, this is my first time owning a Vette. Dad had a few but he switched to German cars by the time I hit my early teens, so that's the bug that I got bit by. We currently have 8 some odd euro headaches. I love em but they're a needy bunch. Except for the Toureg, that one behaves.

Since the poor car has been sitting undriven for at least 5-7 years. He lived in southwest Utah and when I was out there 4 years ago, I took her for a quick spin around the block. Battery was dead and needed a long charge to start and when she did run, she was rough and the active handling message was in the DIC along with a few TPMS messages.

Fast forward to now, it's now home here in CT with me. The transport company said they barely got it started to get it on the truck and I have not been able to get it started since. My assumption is the gas has long gone bad. Very bad. That jives with it being rough 3 years ago when it had already been sitting for 2-3 years.

Here's what I've done...
- New battery -- Old one had 1.5V! Never seen one that low before
- New ignition switch -- Random clicking and gauge needle action when powered on. Figured it would fix the no start. No luck. I did also get the tumble portion of the switch and I popped it in temporarily just to see if it was the VAT sensor. I do also have the original key and a copy. Resistance is the same in both.
- Disconnected the speaker in the cluster -- Was buzzing obnoxiously

To be clear, it cranks but doesn't start. It has a couple of times almost started. The Security light on the dash is on, but I'm not sure what normal is for it.

My plan is to pull the fuel filter and before swapping in a new one, jumping the pump to get rid of the old gas. I'll drain the line to the front, too. New plugs and an oil change to cap it off. I'm also considering pulling the injectors and having them professionally cleaned, altough I don't know how much that matters.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to hear me ramble. It's been a tough year and this and the memories are all I have left and I'd like to do it right.

Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by CTJoe:
Dads2kconvertible (11-13-2021), NotreOkc (03-17-2022), Yello95 (11-14-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:00 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Some quick pics...

Name:  u3GTeGZ.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  753.1 KB

Name:  ALf1Glh.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  796.7 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by CTJoe:
Big Stig (11-12-2021), Pegasus10 (11-13-2021), TCFS (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:24 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sounds like you’re on the right track. You may also want to check the age of the tires. If you google “tire DOT age” it will show you what the numbers translate to. If they are more than 7 years old they should be replaced, regardless of tread left.

Would also be a good idea to have all the fluids changed, including have the coolant, brake fluid, and trans fluid power flushed.

enjoy your vette
Old 11-12-2021, 11:04 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I’ll bet fresh gas would help, maybe just add Chevron Techron concentrate plus fuel cleaner, maybe mix some with gas in can, after calculating ratio?

Or wait until car can be driven to pump and dump bottle in then fill up so it mixes.

My question is where can one dispose of old expired gasoline? Legally...

Have similar situation on a Suzuki Intruder that family member passed away, got it running but next year it would not fire up, except starting fluid.

I would see if it runs with fresh gas, if not then pull injectors to be cleaned, the Techron should clean them out, hopefully.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:37 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to the forum. Nice car you have.
TCFS
The following users liked this post:
CTJoe (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 10:02 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Sorry for your loss.
That's a fine looking C5 you inherited. I hope you get her running soon. Keep the new battery on a battery tender, C5s tend to eat batteries if let sit for more than a couple of weeks. I too would recommend putting some Techron in the first few fill ups.

The following 2 users liked this post by knewblewkorvette:
c5arlen (03-27-2022), CTJoe (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 12:23 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
I’ll bet fresh gas would help, maybe just add Chevron Techron concentrate plus fuel cleaner, maybe mix some with gas in can, after calculating ratio?

Or wait until car can be driven to pump and dump bottle in then fill up so it mixes.

My question is where can one dispose of old expired gasoline? Legally...

Have similar situation on a Suzuki Intruder that family member passed away, got it running but next year it would not fire up, except starting fluid.

I would see if it runs with fresh gas, if not then pull injectors to be cleaned, the Techron should clean them out, hopefully.
Knowing what ethanol gas does when it gets old, i just wanted to pump it straight out and start fresh.

I'm in CT, so there's limited places to get rid of the gas easily.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:24 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TCFS
Welcome to the forum. Nice car you have.
TCFS
Thank you. Very much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:28 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Sorry for your loss.
That's a fine looking C5 you inherited. I hope you get her running soon. Keep the new battery on a battery tender, C5s tend to eat batteries if let sit for more than a couple of weeks. I too would recommend putting some Techron in the first few fill ups.

Thank you. It's been very difficult.

Battery is disconnected for the time being. If the weather turns, I'll just put the cover on it until the spring. I do want to at least drain the gas, change the filter and add new gas with a can of Seafoam. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-13-2021, 01:40 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Welcome to the asylum...
Old 11-13-2021, 01:48 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Joe, welcome aboard ! Condolences for your loss, Dads are special, I lost mine over 3 years ago so I share your pain

As for getting the 'ole girl up and running I would encourage you to do so before subjecting the car any more storage. Fluid changes are important IMO along with a complete brake inspection and flush IMO as well.
The following users liked this post:
CTJoe (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:29 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Welcome to the asylum...
Why thank you! I'm a member of a few other car boards so it only felt natural to join here, as well.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:36 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Joe, welcome aboard ! Condolences for your loss, Dads are special, I lost mine over 3 years ago so I share your pain

As for getting the 'ole girl up and running I would encourage you to do so before subjecting the car any more storage. Fluid changes are important IMO along with a complete brake inspection and flush IMO as well.
Thank you. From what I've read lurking so far, this seems like a pretty great place. I still can't believe he's gone. Now of course I regret not going out to Utah more often. He made me everything that I am today.

I have one more job for a client this week(I turn wrenches and detail) so after that, I'll get her in the driveway and at least drop the fuel filter and pump out the gas. I'll likely get the oil changes and the plugs, too. I have everything on hand already so that's a good thing. I may not get to the other fluids unless the weather holds out. The big hassle is I'm still waiting for my carport(really a metal garage) to get installed. Apparently, no one wants to work so they can't get anyone in my region to install it, so now I'll be hoping for next spring/summer.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:42 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vette4fl
Sounds like you’re on the right track. You may also want to check the age of the tires. If you google “tire DOT age” it will show you what the numbers translate to. If they are more than 7 years old they should be replaced, regardless of tread left.

Would also be a good idea to have all the fluids changed, including have the coolant, brake fluid, and trans fluid power flushed.

enjoy your vette
Oddly enough, there are DOT codes only on the drivers side tires. Front is 0505 and the rear is 1905. So both from 2005. I assume the other side is the same. They're all Goodyear F1s. They'll have to go based on age, regardless. Fluids are in the works, too.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:00 PM
GeorgieMporgie
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome to the group. That's a great looking C5.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:24 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GeorgieMporgie
Welcome to the group. That's a great looking C5.
Thank you. I love the color!
Old 11-13-2021, 04:27 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by CTJoe
Knowing what ethanol gas does when it gets old, i just wanted to pump it straight out and start fresh.

I'm in CT, so there's limited places to get rid of the gas easily.
I suspect the environmental ****'s will raise he** with this suggestion, but if there no dump stations in CT in a reasonable distance just put the gas put it in a open metal container and light it. You will not do any more danger to the environment then if you drove 20 miles to dump it.

Get notified of new replies

To New owner. Long-winded introduction

Old 11-13-2021, 05:55 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I suspect the environmental ****'s will raise he** with this suggestion, but if there no dump stations in CT in a reasonable distance just put the gas put it in a open metal container and light it. You will not do any more danger to the environment then if you drove 20 miles to dump it.
If you know this state, you'd know how true that is. Luckily, i live in a very small, rural town. I live in a lake neighborhood so i won't do anything untoward. Plus everyone here has wells. I may look into our transfer station, since they already take used motor oil.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Best of luck getting your car back in shape and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:49 PM
CTJoe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Best of luck getting your car back in shape and welcome to the forum.
Thanks man. I'll keep y'all updated.

Quick Reply: New owner. Long-winded introduction