Sponsored by:

Most costly things to replace on a C5? How reliable is it for DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 07:20 PM
Gannikus
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most costly things to replace on a C5? How reliable is it for DD

So i found a 1999 FRC in great condition and Manual. 90k miles, the clutch is sticky and needs to bleed the clutch, most likely AC doesn't work. Needs front tires. Didn't see any leaks or battery corrosion. Asking $15k gonna go to a mechanic to get before purchase. Didn't mention anything about the steering column lock or ebcm. Do you think I kay have to replace the clutch soon?

As for the steering column lock issue and ebcm that could go bad, is it a expensive repair? I see some used ebcm on ebay around 900 to even 1500. I only drive about 25k in last 4 and a half years and only a 22 mile round trip to work.

I see a 50k miles $33k C6 2012 on carmax that I am interested in. But considering this c5 because no car payments is pretty awesome.

Besides the interior the car looks great, it's just outdated interior

Old 08-07-2021, 08:04 PM
AngusVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, when I bought mine after a few months I ended up with a $10k bill to get everything fixed up, however I think that would be unusual (and that was at dealer prices). That included a major service, gearbox rebuild, new clutch, new dash, a couple of sensors at the back of the engine, new discs and pads, alignment, aircon re-gas and half a dozen other things I can't remember. The gearbox rebuild was the most expensive item.

I was happy because the car was fully loaded, low mileage, fundamentally in excellent condition (never crashed, no rust, paint and interior in excellent condition) and I got a great price. Since then it has been highly reliable, with one exception which is probably just due to a drained battery.

I would say get it inspected, and budget $5k for fix-ups.

Last edited by AngusVette; 08-07-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:35 PM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Received 3,204 Likes on 1,699 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

It's 20 years old. Unless there's records of service, it's going to need service. Read the sticky threads to see some of the biggest possible issues.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 08:47 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Check the background on the seller - if it’s a kid I wouldn’t buy it. Maybe even check this persons Facebook etc account for potential abuse of the C5. Is it paranoid? Yup….simple things like this can save you a lot later on if you buy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

By the way my ‘98 has never seen a dealer since I picked it up basically - except for column lock. A well kept C5 is awesome. Don’t worry there are plenty out there to look at. Be choosy.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:58 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannikus
So i found a 1999 FRC in great condition and Manual. 90k miles, the clutch is sticky and needs to bleed the clutch, most likely AC doesn't work. Needs front tires. Didn't see any leaks or battery corrosion. Asking $15k gonna go to a mechanic to get before purchase. Didn't mention anything about the steering column lock or ebcm. Do you think I kay have to replace the clutch soon?

As for the steering column lock issue and ebcm that could go bad, is it a expensive repair? I see some used ebcm on ebay around 900 to even 1500. I only drive about 25k in last 4 and a half years and only a 22 mile round trip to work.

I see a 50k miles $33k C6 2012 on carmax that I am interested in. But considering this c5 because no car payments is pretty awesome.

Besides the interior the car looks great, it's just outdated interior
I don't know that I would characterize clutch and a/c issues as "great condition" but you're the one who has seen the car. On the EBCM, if it goes bad, that is a problem. New ones are not available. Used ones are expensive and just as likely to go bad sooner or later. I'm not sure of the latest info on whether the later model (2001 and up?) EBCM can be retrofitted/adapted to the earlier cars - I've heard comments that it is possible but . . . well, you know the Internet. I have a '99 convertible and love it and have not had any EBCM problems (yet?) but if I were looking for a C5 today, I would stick to 2001 and up (unless it was a really good deal, which $15K is not).
Old 08-08-2021, 09:30 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Clutch and rebuild TT will be most costly thing due to labor involved from most shops.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:12 PM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 356 Posts

The 99 looks great in the pictures, but it seems 15K for a 99 with known significant mechanical issues is little high. Lots of potential.

Let’s be realistic, these are machines and any problems can be fixed if you have the patience and money to fix it.

There are a lot of C5’s out there. This is not a Unicorn you are looking at. Don’t be afraid to take a little road trip to look at other FRC’s.

I would make sure the seller knows that you like the car, but the repairs will be expensive. Get that price down to compensate for your best estimate of the repairs.

If you make the purchase, do it, don’t second guess yourself afterward, and enjoy. My ‘99 Vert drives like new with 72K on the odo.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:52 PM
LSgoBRRR
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah the clutch job is not easy/cheap. ECBM is the Achilles heal, though I think you can disable ABS and get by without it? If the clutch is bad that means it's probably sat a long time and you have to worry about battery and seals and hoses, etc. Also makes it hard to suss out any other issues. So big discount or don't do it.

I tackled some more common electronic issues when I bought mine (windows regulators and Door Control Modules) That stuff is cheap if you do it yourself.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:57 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

The EBCM can be easy if it is C1214 (send to ABSfixer) or one of the sensors, or it can be difficult/impossible/expensive if it is anything else in EBCM or the BPMV. Or you can just do without, which is what I have been doing for several years.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by wrmiles
The EBCM can be easy if it is C1214 (send to ABSfixer) or one of the sensors, or it can be difficult/impossible/expensive if it is anything else in EBCM or the BPMV. Or you can just do without, which is what I have been doing for several years.
It’s a 99 so he can’t send it to ABSfixer. The 97-00 are not serviceable. Only option is to buy a used one for big $ and hope it lasts for sometime.
Stingroo (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

I will give you my opinion, but it may not be what you want to hear. First of all. $15k seems high for a C5 that needs $5k work right off the bat. Tires, AC, clutch, ect are all expensive, and that's just the stuff you know about. The car is over 20 years old and things wear out, and nothings cheap to fix. People always mention the ECBM, but that could be the least of your worries. My 97 has been fairly reliable over the last 7 years or so, but I always had another car to drive and didn't use as a DD.

If you really know how to work on cars, it may work out for you. But if you rely on a mechanic for everything, good luck. Also keep in mind, depending on your age, full insurance coverage will be pricey. Not trying to talk you out of anything, Corvettes are great and fun cars, I'm on my eight, just be realistic in your expectations. And don't rush into anything, there are plenty out there for sale.
old stingray (08-17-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 06:04 PM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ronwc
I will give you my opinion, but it may not be what you want to hear. First of all. $15k seems high for a C5 that needs $5k work right off the bat. Tires, AC, clutch, ect are all expensive, and that's just the stuff you know about. The car is over 20 years old and things wear out, and nothings cheap to fix. People always mention the ECBM, but that could be the least of your worries. My 97 has been fairly reliable over the last 7 years or so, but I always had another car to drive and didn't use as a DD.

If you really know how to work on cars, it may work out for you. But if you rely on a mechanic for everything, good luck. Also keep in mind, depending on your age, full insurance coverage will be pricey. Not trying to talk you out of anything, Corvettes are great and fun cars, I'm on my eight, just be realistic in your expectations. And don't rush into anything, there are plenty out there for sale.
Insurance is cheaper than you'd think. It costs me less to insure my Corvette than it did for the 2000 Buick Century I owned before it.

I do agree with you overall though - being realistic is always the key with these types of threads. Most people don't have the tools, patience, time, or knowledge to daily drive a 20 year old car. That doesn't mean they can't be gained, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:10 PM
Gannikus
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will take my time in my search. I may just wait for a 01 to 04 instead of go with a C6 since I need a reliable one for DD to work
Old 08-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,450 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Considering what you have said the car needs, your decision to keep looking is probably a good one. There are plenty of C5s out there for sale that do not need such work done.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:56 AM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Gannikus
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will take my time in my search. I may just wait for a 01 to 04 instead of go with a C6 since I need a reliable one for DD to work
just to give you a reference point I bought an 02 7 months ago with pristine interior,a 2k dollar stereo, and no known issues for 15k in texas. 74k miles. Everything worked but I still had to take care of all fluids and buy tires to my liking. The other tires were getting older.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:08 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I think you made the right decision to keep looking. The column lock issue is nothing to worry about. Get an LMC5 and never worry about it again. The EBCM on the other hand is a really big deal. transmission work is costly as well. Get a newer C5 that is in good shape. As long as you take good care of it, it will take good care of you.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:03 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

this is a car designed to be entertaining, not thrifty. I wouldn't choose a C5 as a daily driver, too old, but it might work for someone who enjoys working on cars and has a lot of time and money to devote to automobile stewardship. You will still need a dependable alternative transport for work.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

For the money thats a heap keep looking. 15k can get you a no issues C5 with less miles.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cv67
For the money thats a heap keep looking. 15k can get you a no issues C5 with less miles.
Agreed. I know it's small change to some people here but if I were parting with fifteen thousand of my hard earned dollars, that car better be perfect. More than twice as much as I've spent to purchase any car I've ever owned.
Yello95 (08-11-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Most costly things to replace on a C5? How reliable is it for DD

Quick Reply: Most costly things to replace on a C5? How reliable is it for DD