Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifters.... which one works the best of these three?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Centerline1932
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Shifters.... which one works the best of these three?

I've been researching aftermarket shifters and have found there are a lot of differing opinions as to which manufacturer makes the best one for our cars. So, after reading literally dozens of threads and reviews I've narrowed my choice down to three main possibilities. First let me say that I'm not really considering the C-6 stock unit simply because I have friends that own C-6's and they're not overly pleased with theirs, and thus it seems like one of those wouldn't be that much of an improvement.... as far as I can tell.

What I'm looking for is a mechanical feel that doesn't require you to "hunt" for the next gear. That said, I'm not really interested in spending time at the gym working my right bicep so it's strong enough to overcome the spring pressure to get into reverse either. So as you can see I'm looking for input on these units and opinions on their usefulness for a daily/sunny day driver. The other issue of course is the price... I don't really want to break the bank either. I have a limited amount to spend on this car and I've already purchased new seats and custom paint will be another expense... (just the cost of materials, I do my own work which includes painting).

So, as far as shifters go my first option would be the ever popular MGW. Everything I've heard about this unit is positive... except of course the price. It is kind of pricey but given that it comes with its own lower box that would account for for the additional $175 over the other shifters I'm considering. The other two are the MTI Six Shooter and the Kirban. Both of these have similar reviews with some that are very positive however, excessive noise seems to be a recurring theme for these two shifters. The main advantage of these is that they are between $100-$150 less than the MGW, however my FRC has 165,000 miles on the odometer and I will admit its entirely possible it could do with a new lower box... which would definitely make the MGW worth the extra money.

So I'm open to all opinions on how you like what you've got, and if it creates any unwanted noises... which would bug the crap out of me to be honest. I also will be doing the Anti-venom mod to loosen the feel a bit. I know it sounds like I'm leaning towards the MGW unit and I probably am, but I want to make sure I've thoroughly explored all other options before I commit to spending the extra $$$.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:16 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I like my Hurst. It's spring pressure is adjustable. I've never heard a peep from it. A little notchy but I'm used to it. It cost $100 used. Definitely do the Anti-Venom mod.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:30 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 514 Posts

Don't know anything about the Kirban, but the MTI looks like 5 other short throw shifters for the C5. I've had a B&M Ripper (similar to the MTI), with and without a TMOD lower box. I went from that to an MGW. Not TOO much of a difference between the B&M/TMOD and the MGW, but sounds like what you're looking for. B&M took much more shoulder/muscle, but felt more direct than the MGW. After driving with the MGW for a while, it feels great. Very smooth overall feel and I haven't felt like I'm guessing on anything. I also have/had a 1 washer anti-venom mod for both. I got a great deal on my MGW used, but after having it, I think I would justify paying the extra for it if needed.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:59 PM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 274 Posts

Why one shifter is better than another baffles me. The shifter just floats on a pivot. It doesn't create any "gates" to make shifting more precise as far as I can tell. Maybe someone can explain? Having said that I think I have an early B&M. When I first got the car the shifting was terrible, hard to shift and 5th was a pain to get into gear. First thing I did was replace my reverse solinoid, that fixed the 5th gear problem. Still shifted like crap compared to my son's Z06. Then while doing the radio I removed the shifter and looked inside the box. Virtually no grease on anything. So I greased it up and now the shifter became much easier to shift. I have noticed that the higher you rev it before going into the next gear it becomes easier to shift. I was going to do the anti venom mod and even bought the washers to do it. It's on the list.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 PM
Centerline1932
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. Upon closer inspection I believe I may have an aftermarket shifter installed. It takes quite a bit more effort to shift into gears than a stock unit and is very mechanical. I think the reason I don't like it is that it needs the Anti-venom mod to reduce the notchy feel some. I've ordered the washers and when they arrive I'll do the mod and see what effect it has. At that point I'll investigate the shifter as well just to see what it is for sure. And the saga continues.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:32 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Your synopsis of the MGW hits the nail on the head. It's the lower shift box that makes it.

I've had a Hurst in my car since 2006. It was Ok, but nothing mind blowing. Definitely shorter and a better feel than the OEM. Earlier this year I put a TModCustoms lower box on my car too while I had the console all apart. THAT made all the difference in the world. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's unlike anything else I've ever driven. There is ZERO slop in the shifter now while in gear, and it's extremely precise and positive going into each gear now.

@C5MSG2004Vert I think part of the differences between shifters being sold is the location of the pivot more than anything else. Keeping the overall shaft length the same, raising or lowering the pivot point can have a marked effect on throw and effort by the operator. They may look the same but there's ever so slight differences in each one and I have the feeling that with the shafts laid side by side you'd find variances that could account for the difference in feel.
The following users liked this post:
leadfoot4 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 08:22 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had an older Ripper in mine for years now. Nice and notchy. I like it.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:48 AM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,329 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Centerline1932
Thanks for the input guys. Upon closer inspection I believe I may have an aftermarket shifter installed. It takes quite a bit more effort to shift into gears than a stock unit and is very mechanical. I think the reason I don't like it is that it needs the Anti-venom mod to reduce the notchy feel some. I've ordered the washers and when they arrive I'll do the mod and see what effect it has. At that point I'll investigate the shifter as well just to see what it is for sure. And the saga continues.
I had an eerily similar experience; same symptoms. I bought an extra used box and TMod worked it over. When I went to install the new box, I discovered a Hurst shifter! That was not mentioned when I bought the car.

I removed the Hurst and installed the TMod box with a C6 shifter. Shifts smooth as silk! Some like that notchy feel, whereas I wanted a smooth sophisticated feel. I highly recommend TMod. Tom also makes a short throw shifter if that’s your thing. Excellent quality and workmanship.

Last edited by vette4fl; 08-14-2021 at 12:50 AM.
ibrockn (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 08:28 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4fl
I had an eerily similar experience; same symptoms. I bought an extra used box and TMod worked it over. When I went to install the new box, I discovered a Hurst shifter! That was not mentioned when I bought the car.

I removed the Hurst and installed the TMod box with a C6 shifter. Shifts smooth as silk! Some like that notchy feel, whereas I wanted a smooth sophisticated feel. I highly recommend TMod. Tom also makes a short throw shifter if that’s your thing. Excellent quality and workmanship.
Did you try the Hurst shifter with the t-mod box? If you did was it notchy with the new box?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,351 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
Did you try the Hurst shifter with the t-mod box? If you did was it notchy with the new box?
What people seem to overlook, is that the Hurst shifter has a number of adjustments, which allow you to tailor it to your personal liking. Also, and equally important, in my opinion, is that the OE shift box has a "neutral gate adjustment" that also needs to be done, in order to make for smooth shifting. When I first installed my Hurst, back in 2002, I spent an hour or two, just "fine tuning" it, and I've been very happy with it, the past 20 years........
Old 08-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Centerline1932
Intermediate

Did the anti-venom mod yesterday and it solved almost all of the notchy feel. The rest of the issue I believe is a lack of lubrication in the shifter box. I plan to remove the shifter and lube everything with some anti seize and see how that works. But have to finish the new seat install first.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:36 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm sure your lower box is contributing significantly to any slop, my guess is the hunt you feel, is the bushings give when you move the shifter.
There's member/vendor here that will rebuild your lower box with I think better than OEM bushings as an option, you'd have to search but he advertised this not too long ago
Installing whatever shifter you buy properly is the second part of getting rid of the problem, if it still persists after a new lower box and shifter, check how it's joining to the shift rod.
I bought the MGW after waiting forever for a Hurst to never show up, but I'm glad I did, it's amazing, shifts ideally every time now

Last edited by F1Fan; 08-14-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:45 AM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Centerline1932
Did the anti-venom mod yesterday and it solved almost all of the notchy feel. The rest of the issue I believe is a lack of lubrication in the shifter box. I plan to remove the shifter and lube everything with some anti seize and see how that works. But have to finish the new seat install first.
For $20 you can get the TMod delrin bushing for the shifter. Stiffer than the GM plastic one and will last.
Centerline1932 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 11:46 AM
ibrockn
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Love my TMod shifter. Went with the longer throw but had the stick shortened by 1-1/2”.
Also added one Anti-Venom washer.
The following 2 users liked this post by ibrockn:
Centerline1932 (08-16-2021), vette4fl (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 11:56 AM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
I did not try it with the new lower box. I was so fed up with the Hurst setup I just changed out the whole enchilada. I did try the venom mod first while the Hurst was still in it, and that helped somewhat. At least I could get reverse without fighting with it.

I am older and I wanted it to shift easily and provide something my wife would be comfortable with too. No regrets on the function, and the C6 setup looks cool and not out of place.
Centerline1932 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:17 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Love my MGW! So much so that even though I had the original (which was great), I bought their newer version with the lower box.

I just replaced the pinch bolt in the shifter linkage collar today, and she’s good as new!!!

The MGW is still one of my favorite mods! 😁

Last edited by FrankLP; 08-15-2021 at 05:18 PM.
DCDs (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Keev1414
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 117 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

B & M Ripper with Anti-Venom on my 02. Luv it!

Bought shifter here on the for sale parts section last spring for 100.00.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifters.... which one works the best of these three?

Old 08-15-2021, 07:51 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with the TMod shifter. It is a very mechanical feeling shifter. I had some type of aftermarket shifter in my car when I bought it. Switched to TMod during a clutch switch and find it a very well made product.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:39 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

I tried several shifters at my hi-po mechanic's shop in different cars before I bought. I ended up with a Hinson shifter for my 500HP C5 Coupe, and I like it more than anyone else I have tried.
RCS (08-24-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:30 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I have the MGW with the 2 washer anti-venom mod and I’m happy with it. It’s much better then the stock.

Quick Reply: Shifters.... which one works the best of these three?