Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do if you bought a c5 lemon from a private seller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 11:09 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
That's a little harsh. These cars are 20+ years old. Do you think cars get "old" even if they are not driven much. How many other 20 year old cars are being driven around. Not many, they are mostly in the junk yard or scrapped.

The fact that the car wasn't making any noises initially, and oil pressure was ok when it was test driven, says the engine was not damaged at that point. When it was subsequently driven with the wavering oil pressure gauge was the most likely point where something failed. Especially if it was being driven aggressively.
all the problems that I listed were evident in cars only 5-10 years old. I forgot to add the hazard flasher causing the annoying abs/traction control issue and the rubber balancer wobble causing noise and balancer failure.

I've been a c5 owner for 18+ years. I've had a plethora of cars. NEVER have I ever even heard of a car with the multi tude of issues that a c5 has. I've had two, and surprise surprise, both have largely exhibited the same traits. I would NEVER recommend anyone buy one of these unless they are gluttons for punishment like all of us and use them for 2nd or 3rd vehicles and punish them on the track. As a daily driver the c5 didn't stand the test of time. And it wasn't that many years that passed before they were known to be lemons.

simple crap like the weather seal glue cracking and letting water inside the car to ruin everything with mold and rust. I've had 1968 cars and 1980's, 90's and 2000's and 2010's cars and none of them did that. And the problem is EVERY SINGLE FRC-Z06-COUPE WILL have this problem, the majority likely have already had it.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 05-29-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:53 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Geardownson
Whole damn reason I got a vette was for reliability.
Really? Since when are Corvettes considered to be reliable cars? If you wanted a very reliable and inexpensive to maintain car you should've bought a Miata. It saddens me to have to say this but I've been through 32+ years of Corvette ownership. They are great performers, as are many BMWs, Audis, and AMG Mercedes but I wouldn't want to have one that is past the warranty period - not anymore.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:18 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I feel like I'm getting karma from my g35 I had with a temp issue that I sold that I thought I fixed. I let the buyer know and I explained what it was doing. He bought it for his daughter. Probably blew a gasket and now I'm paying for it lol
Not at all. So many new used cars purchases c5 c6 after a week or even few months break mechanically and electrically and that's the big one. See it over and over. it happen to me with in the first couple weeks. Didn't even bother calling the guy because it ran great when i got it so how could it be his fault.

Buddy both c5. but these time i went with him since now i know these cars. I told the seller we are talking it out for a long ride. after signing, off we went. will 4 hrs later abs/tc popped limp mode 1514, 1278. bluh bluh. The guy had the ***** to deny it. If they refuse to let u take it for an inspection and a good drive so the little gremlins show their face, walk away. just my experience.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:28 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I bought my C5 in 1997. It spent most of the warranty period getting fixed every couple months. Always something different. But at 3 years old, it grew up and it was not until a couple years back that I needed the inevitable oil pressure sensor and then a new hazard switch. Oil consumption? Almost zero between changes. Been that way from new. Yeah, I had the battery acid problem - but it was only early Delco batteries that gave problems. Mine was replaced under warranty and was good for about 8 years after that.

But something else will let go, that's for sure. That's what happens with 24 year old Chevys. And the components they used for C5's were no better quality than for any other GM car of the era - think Cavalier or Lumina. You want real reliability, buy far eastern brands. We owned two Subaru Legacys. The first for 10 years, and the second for 12 - and that was the turbo version. Neither ever had to go to the dealer or a shop for work. Currently have a 2017 Genesis. Again, just plain reliable - and of course it's still under the 5/10 warranty.

Last edited by jackthelad; 05-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:36 PM
Geardownson
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I should clarify that when I state reliability I was referring to the ls1 motor. I know the rest of the car has issues after time. You have to understand that I was debating on either the c5 or an audi ttrs.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:03 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Just God's way of telling you, you need to build a nasty motor right now.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:27 PM
Dave68
Race Director

I should clarify that when I state reliability I was referring to the ls1 motor. I know the rest of the car has issues after time. You have to understand that I was debating on either the c5 or an audi ttrs.
As an FYI, here are the top 6 most reliable manufacturers:

Most reliable vehicle manufacturers, Consumer Reports, 2021
Old 05-29-2021, 10:57 PM
Dzv69
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
all the problems that I listed were evident in cars only 5-10 years old. I forgot to add the hazard flasher causing the annoying abs/traction control issue and the rubber balancer wobble causing noise and balancer failure.

I've been a c5 owner for 18+ years. I've had a plethora of cars. NEVER have I ever even heard of a car with the multi tude of issues that a c5 has. I've had two, and surprise surprise, both have largely exhibited the same traits. I would NEVER recommend anyone buy one of these unless they are gluttons for punishment like all of us and use them for 2nd or 3rd vehicles and punish them on the track. As a daily driver the c5 didn't stand the test of time. And it wasn't that many years that passed before they were known to be lemons.

simple crap like the weather seal glue cracking and letting water inside the car to ruin everything with mold and rust. I've had 1968 cars and 1980's, 90's and 2000's and 2010's cars and none of them did that. And the problem is EVERY SINGLE FRC-Z06-COUPE WILL have this problem, the majority likely have already had it.
This is a serious eye opener, stated with such conviction. I had my heart set on an '02 or '03 C5 base or Z06 for my first Vette. I see so many low mileage ones for sale and they look so clean, well kept, well maintained. I've read plenty about the EBCM and Column Lock issues and the easy inexpensive repairs for these. Also read about the defective two piece HB's that wobble and eventually shred themselves and the FFS Fuel System put in the mid '03s and '04s and the fuel gauge goes to E with plenty of gas in the tank remedied by some Techron or SeaFoam. But also read about the bullet proof reliable LS1/LS6 and drivetrain. Are these cars seriously that low quality ? There seem to be many folks out there owning, driving and enjoying them. A service advisor at my Chevy dealership told me he had an '04 base and put 140k miles on it and had no problems. I understand they are twenty years old, but was hoping a low mile well maintained garage kept two or three owner car wouldn't be that bad (I can handle the few things mentioned above EBCM, the LMC5 kit for Service Column Lock). i'm fanatical about maintenance, all fluids,...etc on regular intervals with top quality brands, AMSOIL,...etc. The C5 is so sharp looking inside and out, I was really looking forward to someday owning one but I am NOT a glutton for punishment and now contemplating never owning a Corvette. Many say the C5 is the best bargain of a sports/performance car.

Last edited by Dzv69; 05-29-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:00 PM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Received 3,203 Likes on 1,699 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Dzv_Vette
This is a serious eye opener, stated with such conviction. I had my heart set on an '02 or '03 C5 base or Z06 for my first Vette. I see so many low mileage ones for sale and they look so clean, well kept, well maintained. I've read plenty about the EBCM and Column Lock issues and the easy inexpensive repairs for these. Also read about the defective two piece HB's that wobble and eventually shred themselves and the FFS Fuel System put in the mid '03s and '04s. But also read about the bullet proof reliable LS1 and drivetrain. Are these cars seriously that low quality ? There seem to be many folks out there owning, driving and enjoying them. A service advisor at my Chevy dealership told me he had an '04 base and put 140k miles on it and had no problems. I understand they are twenty years old, but was hoping a low mile well maintained garage kept two or three owner car wouldn't be that bad (I can handle the few things mentioned above EBCM, the LMC5 kit for Service Column Lock). i'm fanatical about maintenance, all fluids,...etc on regular intervals with top quality brands, AMSOIL,...etc. The C5 is so sharp looking inside and out, I was really looking forward to someday owning one but I am NOT a glutton for punishment and now contemplating never owning a Corvette. Many say the C5 is the best bargain of a sports/performance car.
You'll be fine. They built a quarter million of them. Don't let Debbie Downer up there discourage you. I'm an hour and a half from you. If you ever want to drive a C5 with over 270,000 miles and see what a well sorted one is capable of, PM me when you're on the coast.

You can read horror stories about any vehicle on the road. You know what the most unreliable car I've ever owned was? A Honda Civic.

They're all machines. They all break. Buy the best one you can afford.

Last edited by Stingroo; 05-29-2021 at 11:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stingroo:
Dzv69 (05-29-2021), pauly1119 (06-02-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 12:36 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I'll list what all issues I've had with my 1999 convertible 6 speed, bought April 2003.

3 sets of tires, a brake job, 3 batteries, plenty of oil changes with Mobile one full synthetic done only by myself, exchanged coolant 2 times and flushed with distilled water, new dexcool.

Had column lock issues in 2004 GM "fixed under warranty", and again summer 2018 outside movie theater, bought LMC5 never a problem again.

Had poor clutch performance, not fully releasing, put on Katech remote bleeder with car all together, shifts great now.

Power antenna got stuck all the way up, need to fix still.

A/C compressor failure, replaced compressor and condenser coil, receiver/drier, flushed evaporator coil and line, replaced all seals of every component pulled apart.

Driver's seat side bolster has worn spot from me getting in and out, could use a new top but still in decent shape.

Car has been daily driver, car has sat for years, car has been just weekend cruiser/vacation car.

If my engine blows, I would step up to the LS3 crate with the stock LS3 cam, in fact I even think about going for it anyways even though the LS1 runs good.

Right now you can get a brand new LS3 longblock from GM for $4999.99, you would need LS3 intake, and I believe LS2 throttle body to work on C5, use your existing exhaust manifolds/headers, need some conversion parts like extension harnesses, LPE 58-24 tooth converter box, and a new tune.

The regular LS3 that has intake, throttle body (won't work with C5 from what I've read), water pump, exhaust manifolds, coil packs, etc is almost $8000.00.

Would have more power than LS1 and since it's brand new should last a long time.

I think these cars are special and worthy of the $$ to keep them going, unless the car is in overall bad shape.

Think of most other cars from 1997-2004, most with a bad engine would be junked, not worth it, Corvette with nice paint and body is worth it.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:57 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

https://www.karlkustoms.com/product/...RoC9n0QAvD_BwE
Old 05-30-2021, 09:00 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 385 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzv_Vette
This is a serious eye opener, stated with such conviction. I had my heart set on an '02 or '03 C5 base or Z06 for my first Vette. I see so many low mileage ones for sale and they look so clean, well kept, well maintained. I've read plenty about the EBCM and Column Lock issues and the easy inexpensive repairs for these. Also read about the defective two piece HB's that wobble and eventually shred themselves and the FFS Fuel System put in the mid '03s and '04s and the fuel gauge goes to E with plenty of gas in the tank remedied by some Techron or SeaFoam. But also read about the bullet proof reliable LS1/LS6 and drivetrain. Are these cars seriously that low quality ? There seem to be many folks out there owning, driving and enjoying them. A service advisor at my Chevy dealership told me he had an '04 base and put 140k miles on it and had no problems. I understand they are twenty years old, but was hoping a low mile well maintained garage kept two or three owner car wouldn't be that bad (I can handle the few things mentioned above EBCM, the LMC5 kit for Service Column Lock). i'm fanatical about maintenance, all fluids,...etc on regular intervals with top quality brands, AMSOIL,...etc. The C5 is so sharp looking inside and out, I was really looking forward to someday owning one but I am NOT a glutton for punishment and now contemplating never owning a Corvette. Many say the C5 is the best bargain of a sports/performance car.
The C5 may be the best bargain out there but that doesn't mean it's bullet proof after 20 years of use. No matter what condition the car is in you should be prepared for the fact that you may have to spend some money on maintenance. If you buy a nice new car you will probably spend 50k for it. You will probably lose more in depreciation in the first year than any maintenance you would have to do on a C5. In 4 years you could throw the C5 away and you would lose less money than you would have on the new 50k car . As long as you keep the C5 in nice shape you will probably get close to what you paid for it in 4 years and not lose much money on it.

Last edited by C5MSG2004Vert; 05-30-2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typos
The following 2 users liked this post by C5MSG2004Vert:
c5arlen (06-16-2021), Dzv69 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:27 AM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought 2 used C5’s - a 2000 when it was only 18 months old and I had it for 7 years with no problems. More recently I purchased a 2003 with 90,000+ miles on it that had been through 7 owners already. I owned it for 2 years, put about 15,000 miles on it and never had a single issue. I sold it on consignment and I think the 9th owner has a great car.

There isn’t a used car model out there without horror stories and stories about being reliable. The C5 on average is a great car and I wouldn’t hesitate buying one or suggesting someone else buy one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black & Tan:
Dzv69 (05-30-2021), Stingroo (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 07:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Black & Tan
I bought 2 used C5’s - a 2000 when it was only 18 months old and I had it for 7 years with no problems. .
I find this very hard to believe since I had been a daily user of this forum from 2000 to 2014 or so. Never had any member who posted in this forum have no problem at all during those years. Everyone had leaky diffs, column lock failures, smog pump check valve failures and many others.

If by chance you actually never had one issue, you are the most lucky member I've come across in all these years. You should get some lottery tickets.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:50 PM
sigmatuan1989
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I posted about getting my new 2001 convertible inspected after I test drove for a week. That whole time the trunk release popped it up 2-4 inches. Today it went up just slightly. Found on the forum discussion about door open / closed etc. Doesn't want to pop up like it was regardless of door open closed.. My thought is at 20 yrs, things will break.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:49 AM
Geardownson
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

After a lot of reading im leaning towards getting a ls364 crate motor over rebuilding. More power with a better warranty.. Thoughts?

Last edited by Geardownson; 05-31-2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:51 AM
Stingroo
Safety Car

After a lot of reading im leaning towards getting a ls364 crate motor over rebuilding. More power with a better warranty.. Thoughts?
If, long term, your goals include upgrading the car further, it's a great way to go. The LS364 is a gen 3 engine just like your LS1 so there's no adapter harnesses to fuss with. The blocks are all physically the same dimensions wise, so it should drop right in place.

You will, of course, need to get the car tuned - but that should go without saying (edited for the keyboard warriors).

Last edited by Stingroo; 05-31-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do if you bought a c5 lemon from a private seller?

Old 05-31-2021, 08:00 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 385 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
I find this very hard to believe since I had been a daily user of this forum from 2000 to 2014 or so. Never had any member who posted in this forum have no problem at all during those years. Everyone had leaky diffs, column lock failures, smog pump check valve failures and many others.

If by chance you actually never had one issue, you are the most lucky member I've come across in all these years. You should get some lottery tickets.
The problem with making generalizations from forums like this is that people come here have a problem and are posting to find out how to fix their Corvette. Many of the posts are complaints and you do see what the most common problem areas are. That does not mean that everyone has had all or some of these failures.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:02 AM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
The problem with making generalizations from forums like this is that people come here have a problem and are posting to find out how to fix their Corvette. Many of the posts are complaints and you do see what the most common problem areas are. That does not mean that everyone has had all or some of these failures.
Exactly. Forums EXIST for people to find solutions to their problems in most cases. It's a skewed sample.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:43 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stingroo
If, long term, your goals include upgrading the car further, it's a great way to go. The LS364 is a gen 3 engine just like your LS1 so there's no adapter harnesses to fuss with. The blocks are all physically the same dimensions wise, so it should drop right in place.

You will, of course, need to get the car tuned - but that should go without saying (edited for the keyboard warriors).
That engine still has LS3 heads, so will need LS3 intake with fuel rails and fuel injectors, LS2 throttle body with silver blade, and some adapter harnesses just like the LS3 long block.

Being 24 tooth will not need the 58-24 Lingenfelter conversion box needed with the LS3 long block, or LS3 complete crate engine.

LS3 block will fit in C5, with doing some grinding on the passenger side C5 engine mount.

The LS 364 uses iron block and will weigh more than the LS1 or LS3 that both have aluminum blocks, may not notice a huge difference in steering or handling, braking, something to think about.

LS 364 and LS3 probably both have similar power, thinking the LS3 will have more being 376 cubic inches, more compression, also LS3 cam may have more lift than LS6 cam in LS 364.

They both are close in price LS3 long block $4999.00, LS 364 $4636.44, $362.56 difference.

Also not needing the Lingenfelter conversion box saves roughly $300.00 dollars, not sure on price.

I would spend the extra and go for the LS3 long block since you need to still buy LS3 intake and fuel rails with fuel injectors, and the LS2 throttle body.

However both being new engines from GM, either should be reliable and make more power than the LS1.

Also I look online from time to time for used LS1 engines and most are $2000-3000 for engines pulled out of wrecked C5 Corvettes, all with over 100k to 300k, that's a lot of $ for a used engine, and the LS6 used engines are sometimes more expensive than new LS3 crate, I was wanting to put a LS1 into my 1965 C10 pick-up, this is why I'm watching prices on used LS1 and new GM crate LS engines.

Hopefully if a shop puts either the LS 364 or LS3 longblock in, there will be a warranty from GM for so many miles or months, look and see if you can find the details.

Also I saw there may be a rebate for $250.00 if you buy a GM crate engine, every bit helps, see if you can claim the rebate.

If your car has the LS6 intake, 2001-2004 LS1 should, you could sell the intake to someone with a pre 2001 C5, I still have not upgraded to the LS6 intake yet but want to, seen them sell for $200-350.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: What would you do if you bought a c5 lemon from a private seller?