Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 10:46 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 402 Posts

What is the diameter of most of this aftermarket steering wheels for the C5? Are they smaller (i.e. like C6 and C7) or the same diameter as the C5? Would like something smaller instead of the bigger diameter of the C5 wheel. I know there’s an airbag issue because of the size but wondering if a smaller wheel with the C5 airbag is available from any of these vendors. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:57 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
I agree that the stock wheel doesn't bother me. However..."wouldn't it be nice" if it was more the size and shape of the wheel on my other car.
I'm all about making this car into exactly what I want it to be. I'm never going to sell it, so the only thing that matters is if it makes me happy. I think that a new steering wheel will make me happy.
Whereas I don't plan to keep mine much longer. I will have had it 24 years this summer, so it's way past its sell by date.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:01 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

In for the pictures of your new wheel when you get it installed. I am one of those that had a super hard time getting the old one off. Hope yours cooperates for you.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:11 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Originally Posted by dmaleck
I was going to buy a Wheel from VQ aswell, but what turned me off was he claimed they are all USA made.. which is not the case at all. Once I called him out on it, he got very rude with me. I was simply telling him he cant advertise a US made product if it isn't true.
He was very responsive and helpful to me. I never had any reason to think he wasn't 100% honest with me. I've already ordered, so it won't change anything, but what evidence do you have that his product isn't made in the US?
Originally Posted by mstromquist
In for the pictures of your new wheel when you get it installed. I am one of those that had a super hard time getting the old one off. Hope yours cooperates for you.
Thanks! I'm likely going to take it to a shop simply because of all the horror stories I've heard of the old wheel not coming off.
mstromquist (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:45 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

He covered a lot of them up, but on his IG, you can see a lot of pics with tags in Chinese writing ect. Plus, ask any actual wheel builder how long it takes to make one (especially in carbon). There is no way someone could pump that many wheels out as fast he does. Nothing against the wheels, they look great. I was just upset he claimed he made them up in Rhode Island.
ArmchairArchitect (04-07-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 03:55 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,088 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by USAZR1
MCS is located near Bowling Green, KY and their products are US-made.
The following 4 users liked this post by USAZR1:
ArmchairArchitect (04-07-2021), knewblewkorvette (04-06-2021), MWWarlord (04-06-2021), Route99 (06-09-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 04:54 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Originally Posted by dmaleck
He covered a lot of them up, but on his IG, you can see a lot of pics with tags in Chinese writing ect. Plus, ask any actual wheel builder how long it takes to make one (especially in carbon). There is no way someone could pump that many wheels out as fast he does. Nothing against the wheels, they look great. I was just upset he claimed he made them up in Rhode Island.
I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong about your conclusions. However, I don't actually know how many wheels he's pumping out. Right now his lead time is 8 weeks. I feel like that is a plausible lead time for a custom made US based product. I just checked his IG, and I didn't see any of the tags you referenced. However, he does make products for JDM vehicles, and does not require wheel cores, so it's possible the tags you saw were Japanese and not Chinese (I haven't seen them). It is also possible that he sources some of his materials from China. I have no issues with this as long as he is actually creating the product himself in the USA. I guess I don't really know for sure one way or the other. I sure hope you're wrong though.
knewblewkorvette (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong about your conclusions. However, I don't actually know how many wheels he's pumping out. Right now his lead time is 8 weeks. I feel like that is a plausible lead time for a custom made US based product. I just checked his IG, and I didn't see any of the tags you referenced. However, he does make products for JDM vehicles, and does not require wheel cores, so it's possible the tags you saw were Japanese and not Chinese (I haven't seen them). It is also possible that he sources some of his materials from China. I have no issues with this as long as he is actually creating the product himself in the USA. I guess I don't really know for sure one way or the other. I sure hope you're wrong though.
I'll have to take a look again. I know months ago when he first started he had pics of 10-20 wheels and they all had tags in Japense/chinese I am not sure which. If he does indeed make them in the good ole USA. Surely he would have some pics of them being made? He got mouthy with ne when I asked for the smallest bit of proof.

Either way, probably a good wheel. I try to buy everything for my vette from smaller/US companies if I can.
MWWarlord (04-07-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 09:41 PM
98stangt
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I picked this one up from Autodynamicswest last year
The following 3 users liked this post by 98stangt:
dreamr616 (04-07-2021), ibrockn (08-18-2021), MWWarlord (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Originally Posted by 98stangt

Is that a small diameter steering wheel then the normal C5 wheel? Looks nice. Did they require you to return your OEM steering wheel as a core? And lastly, how much did it cost? Thanks!

Last edited by dreamr616; 04-07-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

That's very nice! they added a lot of padding to that. I like the flat top and bottom. The ergonomic grip looks pretty good too.
Originally Posted by dreamr616
Is that a small diameter steering wheel then the normal C5 wheel? Looks nice. Did they require you to return your OEM steering wheel as a core? And lastly, how much did it cost? Thanks!
The overall diameter of all of these wheels is pretty close to stock. If you get a flat top, bottom, or both that will effectively make the wheel smaller in the places that are flat instead of round, but the wheels are the same width as they are typically being built over a stock core (even if they don't require a core swap). The issue with making a smaller diameter wheel is the airbag. Since all of these use the stock airbag and mounting hardware, there is only so much that you can shrink the diameter before you start having issues. There are options for a smaller diameter, but most would require you to not use your stock airbag.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:57 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd expect all the Autodynamics West, Apsis, are all Chinese sewn/modified steering wheels, I know the couple that passed through my hands were.
Autodynamics only seem to carry the "thick" versions, I sent mine back and got a closer to stock thickness one from Apsis.

Last edited by F1Fan; 04-07-2021 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F1Fan:
ArmchairArchitect (04-07-2021), MWWarlord (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 12:46 PM
98stangt
Pro

That's very nice! they added a lot of padding to that. I like the flat top and bottom. The ergonomic grip looks pretty good too.

The overall diameter of all of these wheels is pretty close to stock. If you get a flat top, bottom, or both that will effectively make the wheel smaller in the places that are flat instead of round, but the wheels are the same width as they are typically being built over a stock core (even if they don't require a core swap). The issue with making a smaller diameter wheel is the airbag. Since all of these use the stock airbag and mounting hardware, there is only so much that you can shrink the diameter before you start having issues. There are options for a smaller diameter, but most would require you to not use your stock airbag.
Pretty much what he said about the size. I think it is much more comfortable than the stock one and it does look and feel a little smaller though it really isn't. It cost me $595 with a $75 core charge which you get back when you return the stock one which I never got around to doing.
ArmchairArchitect (04-09-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM
98stangt
Pro

Here's a few comparisons, the top one is probably the best since both are side by side.

Last edited by 98stangt; 04-07-2021 at 12:56 PM.
dreamr616 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:02 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Here's a few comparisons, the top one is probably the best since both are side by side.
Thanks for the pics. That’s really helpful. Seems smaller then the OE wheel. Can you get that with a rim that’s less thick too and round at the top with the flat bottom?
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 PM
98stangt
Pro

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Thanks for the pics. That’s really helpful. Seems smaller then the OE wheel. Can you get that with a rim that’s less thick too and round at the top with the flat bottom?
You can get it with the rounded top I just chose that one, not sure about the thickness but I remember there were a few versions. I would go to the website(autodynamics west)and check it out, and if necessary call them. The owner, Greg, was very helpful with explaining exactly what I was getting. I'm extremely happy with mine, it's so much nicer than the stock one.

Last edited by 98stangt; 04-08-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:02 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Update: It has now been 8 weeks since I placed my order with VQcarbonCustoms. I'm still waiting on my order. I sent them an email this morning for a status update, but I haven't heard back. I was told when I ordered that the current lead time was 8 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted However, it's starting to look like the phenomenal customer service I got before placing my order has not extended to after my order was placed. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket steering wheel

Old 05-27-2021, 09:41 AM
Jim Doak
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the few things I didn't like about my car when I bought it last year was the thin steering wheel. So I bought a stock one off eBay and had a padded Redline Goods leather wrap stitched onto the wheel. I like it much better.

Last edited by Jim Doak; 05-27-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:45 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Okay, So when I ordered, VQCaronCustoms said my new steering wheel would ship in 8 weeks. We emailed back and forth several times before my order was placed. It never took more than 12 hours to get a response. This Thursday will be 10 weeks since I placed my order. I emailed them at 8 weeks, and again at 9 weeks. I have gotten absolutely no response at all. I'm starting to worry that they took my $900.00 and ghosted me. Has anyone here ever ordered from, and actually received a product from VQCarbonCustoms?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:31 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Wow, hope that's not the case. I never have dealt with them so I can't offer any help. Hope you get it soon.
MWWarlord (06-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel