Sponsored by:

VIDEO: C5 Functional Side Cove Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 04:24 PM
Jpsella
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Have put 400+ miles on my car since installation
No issues with debris. Local and Highway travel.

I did purchase some raw black powdercoated screen to block off the interior of the wheel well from large debris. Haven’t gotten to it yet.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:59 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by DW600RR
Preciate it! Yea I just looked and I have that same bracket strapping the battery down. Maybe some mechanic was changing the battery and dropped it, but then said f’ it and just got another one instead of fishing it out. Judging by the condition, I’m pretty sure this one has never been used.
May have happened on the Bowling Green production line, too.......
Old 09-01-2022, 08:51 PM
Chrisbequick
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm getting pretty frustrated of checking literally multiple times daily for these. Apparently, Electron Sport doesn't actually want to sell them. Why offer something you don't actually sell?
The following users liked this post:
MetalMan2 (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 04:23 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Originally Posted by Arc07
Hey Chris how well have these held up in the last year and a half?
Mine are holding up great. They look like they did the day I got them. I've had no issues with debris on the side of the car. I've probably put a few thousand miles on the car since installation.
Originally Posted by Chrisbequick
I'm getting pretty frustrated of checking literally multiple times daily for these. Apparently, Electron Sport doesn't actually want to sell them. Why offer something you don't actually sell?
These are 3D printed. Contrary to popular belief 3D printing is actually VERY slow when it comes to making a mass produced product. They are making them as fast as they can. From all reports, they pretty much sell out as soon as they get them in stock. I'm sure if they could get them faster, they would. They continue to offer them because they ARE selling them. The problem is that they are selling much faster than they can make them. Be patient, and keep checking back. You'll get an order in eventually.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:33 PM
DW600RR
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

So I finally got around to installing the ducts. One thing I would note is if you follow the stencil ES provides, IMO it cuts the bottom part too low. Followed the stencil on the passenger side and it left a gap. I’ll add a pic of that side in a minute. On the driver’s side I hung the duct first to get an idea of the fit and used a belt sander to round out the curve of the liner to fit the duct.

Last edited by DW600RR; 09-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DW600RR:
ArmchairArchitect (10-07-2022), miami993c297 (09-03-2022), MWWarlord (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:03 PM
DW600RR
Instructor

Here's the pic of my passenger side. Kinda hard to see with the wheel back on. To be clear, there is no gap straight through to where the PCM is, its just a gap that shows the "flange" of the duct. You can see the flange I'm talking about in my drivers side pics of just the duct posted above. I didn't have any concerns of water intrusion, but added some Flextape in the gap just to be sure. I mean, I hear you can make a boat out of that stuff so... I also had to add some Flextape where I initially started cutting the liner in the wrong place. Luckily I only cut the middle, so it was still very rigid. Maybe I used the stencil wrong, but the stencil is flat and the liner is curved, so it's not gonna come out perfect by just following the stencil. Overall I'm happy with the integrity of each side, but the passenger side is just uglier than the drivers side.

Also, with regard to concerns of debris, etc., there is no "straight-through" path debris can take through the duct. What I mean is that driving straight, anything that would enter the duct through the tire side would have to hit the side of the duct itself due to its curvature. Since the ducts are angled outward, it may be possible for debris to go straight through the duct if you're turning the wheel (for instance, out of the drivers duct if turning right), but that debris would be traveling away from the body of the car. I drove about 100 miles after installing and found one or two tiny pieces of gravel sitting in the duct itself, but I have no concerns of any damage occurring to the body of the car. But if I'm wrong, I can always add some mesh. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by DW600RR; 09-06-2022 at 06:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DW600RR:
ArmchairArchitect (10-07-2022), Stingroo (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:35 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Very nice job on the driver's side install. I agree the the included template does not give the best results. I think I mentioned that as well in my earlier comments. You make a great point about the angle of the vent. I'm glad I installed the mesh just in case though.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:19 PM
DW600RR
Instructor

Finishing up some work when my automatic garage light went out and this sight was presented before me. You have no idea how strong the urge is to put some LEDs back there.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: C5 Functional Side Cove Ducts