Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Supercharge your C5? The Top 7 Reasons!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 03:17 AM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
I've never looked at it that way though I know many do. I prefer to put boost onto a heads and cam engine.
Lol don't we all want both!. For the average guy with 5k I know what gets him furthest..... But yes give me both!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Turbo setups look like nightmares, add in turbo lag to the equation and no thanks. Because of that and the tuning nightmares I saw years ago, I'll take a supercharger over a turbo any time

Last edited by F1Fan; 02-22-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:03 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

Received 1,252 Likes on 548 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by zone-7
Thanks for vids ! I find them informative and fun to watch. Also because of your Pontiac, I've been looking at Fieros.
Appreciate the comment! The Fiero has a special place in my heart because it was the first car I ever had back in the early 90s that I was proud of. The ones I had before were not the kind I wanted to pick my date up in. Anyhow, they were pretty slow but fast forward a few decades and transplant in some more modern muscle and they really zip along - especially off the line with the Supercharged 3800 over the drive tires and coming in at about 2,850 lbs. Finding a decent shape one now is getting somewhat hard to do...

Thanks again & good luck!
Old 02-25-2021, 08:58 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
At what age/mileage should you not supercharge without rebuilding?
That is a great question, we usually stop at 50k. Now I have done a C6 LS2 that had 110k on it and the customer had to sign a waiver on it. I honestly didn't think it would make it past the calibration phase on the dyno but it did just fine. We did change the pulley to lower lower the boost down some though but the car did absolutely great. I honestly didn't think I would get it past calibrating the MAF sensor.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I have a bit of a counterpoint as to the joys of a SC 'Vette. After finding my ZO6 in '03 with less than 250 mi. on it, (repo that was garage hidden to 9 months) I proceeded to modify it as I could afford to,. First headers, (LG) and catback (several different used) then heads/cam (Trickflow/Crane). Eventually found a used FAST 90 and ported it, and an Electric water pump, and a UD pulley plus a bunch of misc. stuff. At his point I had to replace my clutch, too. The car was a blast to drive as it had a smallish cam 228-232. Then low and behold, A&A had a big sale, so I bought/installed my Vortech, same model as the OP and all the tuning stuff, etc. The car went from 483 RW to 632. The very first time I hit 3rd gear hard, the diff shattered. It's all caged and built with C6Z parts now. All this money spent was my hobby, and it's never been raced. I have no traction at WOT until about 70 mph, which really is not fun. Still, I could get drag radials that'd help that, but they have limitations for a car that I used to drive on trips. Pardon all the history, but this is my conclusion; I went too far with the SC kit. It performs great, but I don't enjoy the car as much as when it was NA.
I try to explain this to people all the time. There is a limit at which the road can handle and a C5/C6 with a A&A properly setup is going to make another 200+ HP at the wheels. 600Hp on the motor is about the limit on the street that you can drive and still enjoy albeit being careful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zip Corvettes:
Energy CC (02-25-2021), Toys4Life C5 (03-05-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
I try to explain this to people all the time. There is a limit at which the road can handle and a C5/C6 with a A&A properly setup is going to make another 200+ HP at the wheels. 600Hp on the motor is about the limit on the street that you can drive and still enjoy albeit being careful.
Agreed. I essentially did a gearheads version of a "meta-analysis" before starting my A&A V3si build on a stock LS1 and arrived at the same conclusion.
Much more than that and engine durability risks start to increasingly rise and street traction is more and more of an issue.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5
Bad advice - I respectfully disagree....
1. C5 is used by most as a street driven sports car. On ramps and that occasional stop light encounter far outweigh the hours the average C5 spends on a road course.
2. A&A kit adds about 70lbs to the front of the car. This changes the Front/Rear weight distribution on the coupe from 51%/49% to 52%/48%. by the way, National Corvette Museum lists the C5 Z06 as 53%/47%. Does that mean the A&A kit makes the C5 Coupe a better handling sports car? https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn...orvette-specs/
It's not about being on a road course, I enjoy taking spirited drives with fairly aggressive TURNS on twisty backroads, as many Corvette owners do.

I could make the same argument about "the hours the average C5 spends" on a drag strip.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 02-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:03 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Nice Video as usual. You and I have very similar setups.
Having personal experience with the A&A supercharger, there are some things that I would say about it (that speak to some of the comments made). Although I do recommend upgrading both the transmission (on an automatic)/Clutch (on a manual), as well as upgrading the stock suspension and tires. The A&A kit is EXTEMELY reliable. I certainly don't spend more time working on my car than I do driving it as some have suggested. In fact, I would argue that a properly tuned supercharger is the safest and most reliable way to 500WHP on an LS1. Although it is true that turbos have no parasitic loss, they also have turbo lag. My car is setup as a canyon carver that is fun to drive on the street, I'd much prefer the smooth linear power that the supercharger provides over the sudden off/on power provided by a turbo.
Overall, it is very important to make an honest assessment of what you plan on doing with your car, and make build choices based on that. My advice for anyone who wants a primarily street car that is fast and fun to drive is, don't go over 550 RWHP. If you want a drag car, or a track monster, feel free to go as high as you want. This is not to say you can't drive a higher HP car on the street, but IMHO it just isn't as fun. With that said, a supercharger can get you right in that range without having to do other mods such as H/C/I. That's not to say that a good H/C/I build isn't a good way to go as well. However, if you have the money to put down, the supercharger kit is a very good option.
There was mention of the car's balance/handling and also heat soak. The A&A kit comes with an intercooler, and a custom air box. My car is properly tuned, and I have NEVER had any heat soak issues at all. In fact, my engine temps didn't go up at all after adding the supercharger kit. As far as weight/handling, I upgraded my suspension right after the supercharger install, and I can say the car handles WAY better than it did without the supercharger on stock suspension. Given my particular situation, I can't say how much difference the little bit of extra weight up front makes. However, it is small enough that C6Z06 shocks and C6Z51 sway bars way more than make up for the difference.
There was also a concern about state smog restrictions. A&A is a California based company. They developed and install their kits in California. If it passes smog there, it WILL pass in any other US state.
There are lots of options for adding power (or not) to a C5. It all depends on your situation, and what you are looking for. Supercharging is not always the best option for everyone (although it was for me). Superchargers are awesome, but they're not for everyone. This video does a good job of showing why they can be a good option. If a supercharger isn't for you, that's okay too.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,939 Likes on 2,019 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A lot of good pro's and cons brought up here. Bottom line, a supercharger isn't for everyone. They are a lot of fun and a lot of additional power.
I really like mine, but you do have to consider the additional upgrades necessary to keep the car reliable. They were not engineered for an additional 200 plus horsepower and torque, so at some point there will be a failure, if you do not upgrade the critical components in the drive line. I have made the upgrades to the entire drive line and it is very expensive, but for me, it was absolutely worth it.
The following 6 users liked this post by lewislgZ06:
AceRockolla (10-06-2021), Irish31 (10-07-2021), Mike98SilVert (10-08-2021), Mr. Black (02-25-2021), MWWarlord (02-25-2021), old stingray (03-06-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:14 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
At what age/mileage should you not supercharge without rebuilding?
The mileage/age isn't nearly as important as condition. I was over 75K on my car when I added the blower. I've been driving for several years now with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted by 91Vette
That was a good video. Would love to put in a roots type blower, but would necessitate a new hood.

Does the centrifugal supercharger help much with low end grunt? Or is it more of a top end power adder?
When properly tuned, the A&A kit will add smooth linear power throughout the power band. Admittedly, that power is easier to get to the ground higher in the power band than it is at the bottom.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:16 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Turbo setups look like nightmares, add in turbo lag to the equation and no thanks. Because of that and the tuning nightmares I saw years ago, I'll take a supercharger over a turbo any time
LOL!!! turbos are easier than superchargers.. You don't have to deal with belt slippage/thrown belts as you crank up the boost...turbo lag? maybe 20 years ago... properly sized single turbos, twin turbos and locating the turbo with the shortest distance from the exhaust outlet on the head, makes the boost come in way sooner than a centrifugal supercharger... and last but not least its not sucking up horsepower off the crank to drive it. yes im the guy who prefers my vette N/A because I road race it.... but I have a nasty little mustang in the garage that is my drag car that has a near table top flat torque curve.and you could put your grandmother in it and send her to church and she would never know the power the car actually has.... (well unless she is the little old lady from Pasadena.....)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:02 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I always enjoy your videos
My black 99 has an A&A kit. Puts down 528 HP to the wheels, so about 620 HP at the crank (assuming a 15% drivetrain loss)
I'm considering doing this to my red 99 but right now my $ has other places to go.
In a similar spot as you horsepower wise, I'd like to add a centrifugal SC to my full bolt-on setup, but at this point my concern is the stock bottom end surviving that much power
as I keep reading that 600hp or so, is about the limits of a stock bottom end.

Last edited by F1Fan; 03-05-2021 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toys4Life C5 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

I have a bit of a counterpoint as to the joys of a SC 'Vette. After finding my ZO6 in '03 with less than 250 mi. on it, (repo that was garage hidden to 9 months) I proceeded to modify it as I could afford to,. First headers, (LG) and catback (several different used) then heads/cam (Trickflow/Crane). Eventually found a used FAST 90 and ported it, and an Electric water pump, and a UD pulley plus a bunch of misc. stuff. At his point I had to replace my clutch, too. The car was a blast to drive as it had a smallish cam 228-232. Then low and behold, A&A had a big sale, so I bought/installed my Vortech, same model as the OP and all the tuning stuff, etc. The car went from 483 RW to 632. The very first time I hit 3rd gear hard, the diff shattered. It's all caged and built with C6Z parts now. All this money spent was my hobby, and it's never been raced. I have no traction at WOT until about 70 mph, which really is not fun. Still, I could get drag radials that'd help that, but they have limitations for a car that I used to drive on trips. Pardon all the history, but this is my conclusion; I went too far with the SC kit. It performs great, but I don't enjoy the car as much as when it was NA.
I agree and think this touches on the reason Tadge gave for going rear engine on the C8 at this time. The front engine rear transmission/rear drive platform had pretty much reached its limits (and I think a big part of those limits was traction during acceleration).
Old 03-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by zone-7
Thanks for vids ! I find them informative and fun to watch. Also because of your Pontiac, I've been looking at Fieros.
Thanks for the comment!
Those little Fiero's are getting hard to find a decent one. After years of being able to find a good one for $1,500 they are finally starting to go for 5k+ on up for one that is in respectable condition. They are the strangest thing though, 50% of the people make fun of them and 50% of the people love them. With a SC 3800 swapped in they are a ton of fun (especially off the line 0-70) and while I don't directly compare it to a C5 - I like to say that driving each car is such a uniquely different experience.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:21 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have gone the forced induction route…it was at the time cost prohibitive. I added an extra 120hp at the rear wheels buy changing the usual, heads, cam intake and exhaust. Was able to do it a part or 2 at a time, than lastly get a tune. With a supercharger it was 5 to 6 grand up front (years ago) and after I installed everything, another grand at least for the tune. The H/C/I/E route was much more budget friendly, was very happy with the results.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Indagate
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goodness, that sounds EXACTLY how I feel too: I have no traction at WOT until about 70 mph
Old 10-06-2021, 09:45 AM
AceRockolla
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
A lot of good pro's and cons brought up here. Bottom line, a supercharger isn't for everyone. They are a lot of fun and a lot of additional power.
I really like mine, but you do have to consider the additional upgrades necessary to keep the car reliable. They were not engineered for an additional 200 plus horsepower and torque, so at some point there will be a failure, if you do not upgrade the critical components in the drive line. I have made the upgrades to the entire drive line and it is very expensive, but for me, it was absolutely worth it.
What did you end up upgrading? I want to know exactly what I'm in for. right now I just have headers, x-pipe, exhaust, and CAI putting out 355 RWHP

Get notified of new replies

To Why Supercharge your C5? The Top 7 Reasons!

Old 10-06-2021, 11:09 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AceRockolla
What did you end up upgrading? I want to know exactly what I'm in for. right now I just have headers, x-pipe, exhaust, and CAI putting out 355 RWHP
For a complete list of mods, see thread #166 in my build thread, minus all of the things that are purely aesthetics.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

I tried to address every potential weakness with mine, and it has proven reliable to date.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
For a complete list of mods, see thread #166 in my build thread, minus all of the things that are purely aesthetics.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

I tried to address every potential weakness with mine, and it has proven reliable to date.
What page is post 166 on it your thread? I'd like to see if I over looked anything
Old 10-06-2021, 12:10 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Smoken1
What page is post 166 on it your thread? I'd like to see if I over looked anything
Page 9
The following 2 users liked this post by lewislgZ06:
Smoken1 (10-06-2021), Thaxx (12-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Why Supercharge your C5? The Top 7 Reasons!