Sponsored by:

Hood shaking at the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Hood shaking at the windshield

I hit a deer a few years ago, and I had the repair work done at the dealer. They swore they used genuine GM parts.

Ever since then, I’ve noticed that the hood shakes when driving right where it meets the windshield. Sometimes worse than others. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Last edited by jjaaam; 11-21-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled word in title
Old 11-21-2020, 09:24 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Have you taken it back to the dealer and asked them to adjust the hood? Most likely not a real problem to fix.
The following users liked this post:
ibrockn (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:31 AM
jjaaam
Pro

I haven’t, no...but I probably should
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 AM
ibrockn
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

The bumper stops the hood rests on are really easy to adjust.
The following 3 users liked this post by ibrockn:
MWWarlord (11-25-2020), Toys4Life C5 (11-21-2020), ZigZag (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by ibrockn
The bumper stops the hood rests on are really easy to adjust.
If you look under the hood right where you say it shakes, you will see a black rubber bumper about 1" in diameter. All you have to do is loosen the locking nut and adjust the bumper upwards. Then tighten the lock nut when you are satisfied that the hood makes contact with the bumper. If you adjust it too high, the hood will not latch. If you are not up to the task, I would think the dealer could do it in 5 minutes.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:11 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
If you look under the hood right where you say it shakes, you will see a black rubber bumper about 1" in diameter. All you have to do is loosen the locking nut and adjust the bumper upwards. Then tighten the lock nut when you are satisfied that the hood makes contact with the bumper. If you adjust it too high, the hood will not latch. If you are not up to the task, I would think the dealer could do it in 5 minutes.
I should have clarified - the shaking is in the center right in front of the windshield, not at the edges where the latches are. Is there a bumper in the center too?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:02 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

There's four stops, one on each corner. Gently push on each corner and if it moves down then back up increase that stop by turning it..
Old 11-21-2020, 11:42 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by ZigZag
There's four stops, one on each corner. Gently push on each corner and if it moves down then back up increase that stop by turning it..
No issues on the corners; those stops are all adjusted properly. It’s flapping up and down in the center of the hood.

Wondering if the dealer lied and used an aftermarket hood...maybe some sort of reinforcement is missing in the center section at the edge?
Old 11-21-2020, 12:16 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaaam
No issues on the corners; those stops are all adjusted properly. It’s flapping up and down in the center of the hood.

Wondering if the dealer lied and used an aftermarket hood...maybe some sort of reinforcement is missing in the center section at the edge?
Here we go, man without a clue but it must be that damn dealer's fault. All done without ever asking the repair station to look at the problem...just go straight to a Forum and start making allegations.

Obviously you don't have enough knowledge to tell a "factory" hood from a non-factory hood. Does GM even still produce a factory hood? Be a man about it and take the car to the folks who fixed it and show them the problem. There will be plenty of time to cuss the dealer when they can't fix it and I would be one of the first to join you. Otherwise, all this speculation is total B.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Stingroo (11-22-2020), USAZR1 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 01:02 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 829 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Here we go, man without a clue but it must be that damn dealer's fault. All done without ever asking the repair station to look at the problem...just go straight to a Forum and start making allegations.

Obviously you don't have enough knowledge to tell a "factory" hood from a non-factory hood. Does GM even still produce a factory hood? Be a man about it and take the car to the folks who fixed it and show them the problem. There will be plenty of time to cuss the dealer when they can't fix it and I would be one of the first t to join you. Otherwise, all this speculation is total B.S.
Goodness!.... COVID getting to ya?.... Loosing a little patience?... Easy dose it Man.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by JALLEN4

Obviously you don't have enough knowledge to tell a "factory" hood from a non-factory hood. Does GM even still produce a factory hood? Be a man about it and take the car to the folks who fixed it and show them the problem. There will be plenty of time to cuss the dealer when they can't fix it and I would be one of the first to join you. Otherwise, all this speculation is total B.S.
Jeez...lighten up, Francis. If you knew the BS I went through with this repair at this particular dealer you might not have jumped on this so hard.

While I may not have the ‘knowledge to tell a “factory” hood from a non-factory hood’ (again, there are other details with this particular hood that leads me to believe GM would not have let a part like that go), I certainly DO have the knowledge to tell an uptight a$$crack from someone that might have some reasonable information.

You win - I’m out.

Life’s too short. Thanks for the “input” 🙄

Last edited by jjaaam; 11-21-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:54 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

There are numerous posts that appear to be someone just jerking us around, or maybe the OP doesn't have the skills or knowledge themselves to solve the issue. Sometimes the problem is very simple and easy to resolve for some, but complicated for others. I prefer to take the high road and, if possible, offer a solution or process to help the OP out. After all, this is what these forums are for, to help others that need it. I know I've asked my share of questions that to some were maybe naïve or stupid. However, almost all were answered with sincere attempts to help by generous, knowledgeable, members of Club Corvette. Just sit back and take a deep breath, then type your offer of a solution and hope it's the right one...
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 PM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think it would help every one to have an opinion, to send a picture of the hood from inside, if possible without the sound proofing material, like that, it may be possible to assess if the hood is OEM or aftermarket.
@jjaaam my hood is also slightly shaking in the center...but since my car was also in a front collision...I don't know how it should be with a garage queen.
my 2cents.
TCFS
Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

There's also a possibility that the hood shake is completely normal. Being the last of many owners of my car, I can't swear my car was never in an accident; but I have noticed a bit of shake in the center of my hood and I never thought much about it (I assume it is "the nature of the beast"). My hood shuts tight and flush.

Naturally, after a repair anyone would be looking for any signs of a problem, but if the hood is otherwise perfectly adjusted, shuts tight against the stops and it isn't making loud noises- if it were my car I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Shaking in the center is not normal. My C5 is 23 years old and has never had hood shake. New hoods are available, and I would be fairly sure that if adjusted properly, they would not shake.

Take it back to the shop.
The following users liked this post:
rrwirsi (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:28 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Well, my car is an '01 convertible and is approaching 115,000 miles and I am far from the original owner (I bought it 3 years ago).

It could very well be there's been an unreported accident followed by a poor repair; or the fact that it is a convertible. But up until now, I considered this bit of center hood shake/flex normal. Still it doesn't bother me; like me my Corvette is old and it shakes a bit.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:33 PM
wdcraig
Pro

PS- my "shaker hood"

Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I agree that pics would be very helpful in this case. However, it seems like the OP may have been chased off. I've never had any issues with the hood shaking. I would suspect thatif the hood support stucture is not damaged, that adjusting the bump stops and making sure the latches are firmly attached would solve this issue (even though the shaking is in the middle of the hood).

Get notified of new replies

To Hood shaking at the windshield

Quick Reply: Hood shaking at the windshield