Sponsored by:

Can't find ball studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 02:36 PM
GSjoe
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can't find ball studs

I just bought a clean 2001 C5 convertible. It's not my first Corvette, but it is my first C5. The convertible top lid, I found, will not stay up when opened making it quite difficult to put up the top. Posts I've read on this forum tell how to replace the gas struts that hold the lid up when unlatched, but looking at my car it appears the PO simply removed the struts. Today I did a thorough look under the top lid but couldn't find the ball studs to which the struts would attach. I think the PO might have removed them too. Does anyone have pictures of their location and information as to the part numbers I can use if I have to buy new studs? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:44 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Until you find the parts, might want to change the way you put the roof up and down. Unlatch the roof and pull it partially back, that will make the back of the roof rise up and you can hold it with your left hand while you push the button to open the lid with your right hand. No struts needed.

Good luck finding your parts.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (01-04-2021)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Try this place

https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-studs
Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default eBay

Found mine on eBay. Easy to replace.

Originally Posted by GSjoe
I just bought a clean 2001 C5 convertible. It's not my first Corvette, but it is my first C5. The convertible top lid, I found, will not stay up when opened making it quite difficult to put up the top. Posts I've read on this forum tell how to replace the gas struts that hold the lid up when unlatched, but looking at my car it appears the PO simply removed the struts. Today I did a thorough look under the top lid but couldn't find the ball studs to which the struts would attach. I think the PO might have removed them too. Does anyone have pictures of their location and information as to the part numbers I can use if I have to buy new studs? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:37 PM
GSjoe
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Found Them!!

Thanks folks for your replies. I spent more time looking today and found the bad struts hidden as they were. Crawling into the trunk made it possible. I removed the old struts and ordered new ones today.. By early next week they should arrive and I'll install them. Once again I'll find myself in the trunk!

Get notified of new replies

To Can't find ball studs

Quick Reply: Can't find ball studs