Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit w/ HD Radio? OEM Fit and Finish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Want to Drive
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Head Unit w/ HD Radio? OEM Fit and Finish?

I've spent some time now with my 2004 Z and one thing I'd like to improve is the audio quality. For me this breaks down into 2 areas:

1. Head Unit signal quality
2. Speaker quality

My DD is a newer 1500 truck with HD radio ( & bluetooth) and this is something I find myself missing sometimes when I take the vette out.

Are there any head units out there capable of receiving HD radio signal? I do value OEM looking parts vehicles I own, so it would be great if there was a single din unit that doesn't look too flashy or a double din unit that has a quality look.

I'd also prefer to not have to do any hacking on the install. All input is appreciated!
Old 09-13-2020, 01:46 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

For the headunit portion of your question, take a look at this Thread. It is a modern headunit that doesn't require to "get a new"/"modify" radio bezel, preserving OEM fit and finish.

To upgrade your headunit, you will need an interface. Check this Post for details.

Regarding new speakers, take a look at this Post, this Post and this Post.

Keep us updated!

Last edited by GCG; 09-13-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:10 PM
Want to Drive
Instructor

Originally Posted by GCG
For the headunit portion of your question, take a look at this Thread. It is a modern headunit that doesn't require to "get a new"/"modify" radio bezel, preserving OEM fit and finish.

To upgrade your headunit, you will need an interface. Check this Post for details.

Regarding new speakers, take a look at this Post, this Post and this Post.

Keep us updated!
Wow, thanks for all the info. I did alot of searching last night and i came across the joying unit you linked. That is one of the better looking units I've seen and I like that you dont have to get another trim piece.

My only concern with a full touch screen unit is the lack of a volume dial. Ive come to appreciate the simplicity of operating physical buttons easily in reach on the c5.

Most newer vehicles make use of steering wheels controls, but of couse the c5z lacks that. Hmm, I guess there probably isn't a perfect solution here.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:37 PM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

When I did my stereo I wanted a volume dial too....and there are limited options. Let me say with full confidence the volume **** on a Sony head unit suuuuucks.

You will be completely fine with the volume buttons and have no regrets.
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 AM
Want to Drive
Instructor

Originally Posted by CinciZ06
When I did my stereo I wanted a volume dial too....and there are limited options. Let me say with full confidence the volume **** on a Sony head unit suuuuucks.

You will be completely fine with the volume buttons and have no regrets.
I've seen someone else mention the volume buttons on some units not being very useful.

Did you stick with the Sony head unit?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:48 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Want to Drive
My only concern with a full touch screen unit is the lack of a volume dial. Ive come to appreciate the simplicity of operating physical buttons easily in reach on the c5.
This is a modification I've done while using the Joying unit:
(I've already sold 10 of these in a 1st batch. Currently working toward gaining interest on a 2nd batch. Need 10 people to sign up, have 4 so far.)

Last edited by MetalMan2; 09-14-2020 at 02:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MetalMan2:
CinciZ06 (09-14-2020), hmhaga (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:55 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...My only concern with a full touch screen unit is the lack of a volume dial. Ive come to appreciate the simplicity of operating physical buttons easily in reach on the c5...
Glad to be of service!

Regarding the lack of a physical volume ****, forum member MetalMan2 developed a very clever solution. Take a look:
Post 295: prototype
Post 297: video
Post 355: finished modules
Post 384: instructions
Post 398: another example

EDIT: @MetalMan2 you beat me to it while I was selecting posts, creating the links and typing

Last edited by GCG; 09-14-2020 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MetalMan2 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

I've seen someone else mention the volume buttons on some units not being very useful.

Did you stick with the Sony head unit?

I love the sony head unit other than the volume ****. So much so in fact I won't replace it. It boots extremely fast, android auto works great, sounds good, looks good, and has all the features I could want including a backup camera and proper outputs. It just takes 48.7 revolutions of the tiny **** to notice a change in volume.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CinciZ06
...It just takes 48.7 revolutions of the tiny **** to notice a change in volume.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:17 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,039 Likes on 550 Posts

If you're willing to go with the DD size, I just went through this exercise and went with the Alpine ILX w650. It's not expensive, it is incredibly responsive, super light, and you can add on a "strap on" 400 watt amp, right behind the radio.. no need to run any wires. Also the tiniest DD I've seen. The only issue is that it doesn't include proprietary NAV, but does support apple car play and android auto, so you still get on - screen nav through your phone (which is what most auto manufacturers are doing these days anyway-- plug your phone in, and wayz/google nav pops on the screen instantly, also get full access to all the music on your phone/pandora/spotify/etc.)
It's seriously *much* better than the nav software on most DD headunits,

If that's not an issue, here's a link (cheaper on amazon):
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700650...p-Package.html

This thing is really ingenious.. it's TINY and super light.. and the depth is insanely shallow (2.5 inches without the add on amp, even with the add on amp, it's still shallower than most DD hed units) ... the unit is $300. You can also buy a 400watt (50 watts rms per channel) amp that literally attaches to the back of the unit.. so, no wires to run. The amp is not earth shattering-- the head unit drives at a pretty standard 17watts, the 400 watt amps is a noticeable improvement over the head unit.

HEre's the head unit with the 400watt amp mounted to the back:

Here's the alpine side-by-side with the pioneer I replaced:

HEre's an install pic:
Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Pkachoochoo
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMG2
If you're willing to go with the DD size, I just went through this exercise and went with the Alpine ILX w650. It's not expensive, it is incredibly responsive, super light, and you can add on a "strap on" 400 watt amp, right behind the radio.. no need to run any wires. Also the tiniest DD I've seen. The only issue is that it doesn't include proprietary NAV, but does support apple car play and android auto, so you still get on - screen nav through your phone (which is what most auto manufacturers are doing these days anyway-- plug your phone in, and wayz/google nav pops on the screen instantly, also get full access to all the music on your phone/pandora/spotify/etc.)
It's seriously *much* better than the nav software on most DD headunits,

If that's not an issue, here's a link (cheaper on amazon):
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700650...p-Package.html

This thing is really ingenious.. it's TINY and super light.. and the depth is insanely shallow (2.5 inches without the add on amp, even with the add on amp, it's still shallower than most DD hed units) ... the unit is $300. You can also buy a 400watt (50 watts rms per channel) amp that literally attaches to the back of the unit.. so, no wires to run. The amp is not earth shattering-- the head unit drives at a pretty standard 17watts, the 400 watt amps is a noticeable improvement over the head unit.

HEre's the head unit with the 400watt amp mounted to the back:

Here's the alpine side-by-side with the pioneer I replaced:

HEre's an install pic:
Did you have to remove the factory amplifier for this setup? Or how did you run the powerpack with the factory amp?
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pkachoochoo
Did you have to remove the factory amplifier for this setup? Or how did you run the powerpack with the factory amp?
What do you mean by "factory amplifier"?

The original factory system has the 4-main-channel speakers (FR, FL, RR, RL) directly connected to the headunit. They are driven by its built-in 4-channel amp.

Replacing the headunit keeping the rest of the system intact, by using either the AXXESS or the PAC adapters, keeps the speakers the way the came from the factory, so they remain directly connected to the headunit and therefore, they continue to be driven by its built-in 4-channel amp.

An Alpine KTP-445A powerpack amp can be seamlessly connected (actually, inserted) via wiring harness to any Alpine headunit to increase it's power output to 45W/channel (45 x 4) RMS. It's completely plug-and-play and when used, it's no different than a regular headunit upgrade.

Last edited by GCG; 09-15-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Want to Drive
Instructor

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
This is a modification I've done while using the Joying unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL28yzD000E
(I've already sold 10 of these in a 1st batch. Currently working toward gaining interest on a 2nd batch. Need 10 people to sign up, have 4 so far.)
That is really slick! Very similar in function to the idrive wheel control in a BMW 335i i had.

Does this control work for the radio as well? It looks like you were controlling the music player which I assume is for the connected device?

Would installation of the joying and the dial you have allow for returning to stock without any issues should i want to do thag in the future?
Old 09-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Want to Drive
Instructor

That is really slick! Very similar in function to the idrive wheel control in a BMW 335i i had.

Does this control work for the radio as well? It looks like you were controlling the music player which I assume is for the connected device?

Would installation of the joying and the dial you have allow for returning to stock without any issues should i want to do thag in the future?
Originally Posted by GCG
Glad to be of service!

Regarding the lack of a physical volume ****, forum member MetalMan2 developed a very clever solution. Take a look:
Post 295: prototype
Post 297: video
Post 355: finished modules
Post 384: instructions
Post 398: another example

EDIT: @MetalMan2 you beat me to it while I was selecting posts, creating the links and typing
I watched the video but will also look at these posts. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:22 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

The way this control works is just like a steering wheel control would work within the Android operating system used on the Joying unit.
So it should control any app that is currently playing media. i.e. if you're using the FM/AM radio tuner app, then this control can be used to change radio stations.

There is one main exception I've found (but there could be more): Amazon Music app, it doesn't respond to play/pause, skip track, etc. like other music player apps do. This isn't a limitation of my device, but a limitation of the Amazon Music app.

Installing this media control device does leave a 10mm hole in the traction control plate. But you can get a new traction control plate off ebay for less than $40.
Installing the Joying unit requires some modifications, but there's only one modification which is detrimental/irreversible... in that Joying thread we were brainstorming ideas to be able to reverse that modification, and I think it's doable.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Want to Drive
Instructor

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
The way this control works is just like a steering wheel control would work within the Android operating system used on the Joying unit.
So it should control any app that is currently playing media. i.e. if you're using the FM/AM radio tuner app, then this control can be used to change radio stations.

There is one main exception I've found (but there could be more): Amazon Music app, it doesn't respond to play/pause, skip track, etc. like other music player apps do. This isn't a limitation of my device, but a limitation of the Amazon Music app.

Installing this media control device does leave a 10mm hole in the traction control plate. But you can get a new traction control plate off ebay for less than $40.
Installing the Joying unit requires some modifications, but there's only one modification which is detrimental/irreversible... in that Joying thread we were brainstorming ideas to be able to reverse that modification, and I think it's doable.
Awesome. Thanks for the response. I'll check out the threads for more info.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,039 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Pkachoochoo
you can go multiple routes... you can keep the factory subs, use a oem pac-1 interface, and then just plug amp using the pac interface. There is no amp for the in-door/rear speakers, they just run off the head unit. The in-door subs have tiny little 100watt amps connected to them.

So, if you want a super simple install, you keep the in-door subs. drop in the head unit, use an OEM-PAC-1 interface, once you wire it onto the correct wires on the amp/headunit, it just plugs directly into the vehicle harness. You should change the speakers as well, the stock ones will sound like crap. and likely will crap with the alpine amp. If you don't change the speakers, skip the slap-on amp, the head unit drives at 17w / channel, more than enough for the speakers.

BTW, the add-on amp isn't proprietary.... it includes a number of universal brackets that attach to basically any other headunit. It has the same wire harness as any other amp -- ground, power, line in, and speaker outs. The reason most consider it proprietary to the alpine is that the alpine head unit is so slim, it can fit an amp on back of it , most head units are just too big.

you *could* bypass the in-door amps and drop in 8" subs.. I did.. and it sounds fantastic, but it's more work.

Last edited by JMG2; 09-14-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Head Unit w/ HD Radio? OEM Fit and Finish?

Quick Reply: Head Unit w/ HD Radio? OEM Fit and Finish?