Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw my first in-person C8 -- I'll stick with the C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I had two c5 s including a (500hp) c5 z06 and a c6 and I have a torch red c8 z51 on order.

i enjoyed the original posters commentary and from a value standpoint he is right...the value equation says stick with what you got.

no reason to change although thats always the case with preowned 20 year old cars versus new.

most aspects of the c8 I dig...a few I dont...thats the way its been on every new car I have bought over the past 40 years.

i enjoyed your commentary. We dont all have to agree.

The following users liked this post:
jrprich (10-11-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 09:33 AM
S.Curtis
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 73 Posts

Saw my first C8 up close at a cruise in last Thursday. Matter of fact the only generation not there was a C2. Plenty of C7s a couple C5, one C4 and one very well cared for C3. The owner had it all opened up for the on lookers like myself. It’s a beautiful car. Bright red with tan interior. Sorry don't know the official color names. Would i trade my 04 Spiral Gray Metallic base for it? Straight up...sure. But thats not going to happen Would it bring a smile to my face I’m sure it would. Is it in my current price range? I suppose if i sold all the toys and leveraged a bit it could be. Would it make me smile more than my current vettte that is free and clear. Perhaps but not enough to leverage everything else. I have never been the person that needs the newest and best and to be envied. It took me 50 years to get to my first vette think i can wait until all the mark up and order only waits have gone by the wayside. Think every generation of vette is a good looking car, they perform well for their place in time. Things evolve change, get better? I guess thats all in the eye of the beholder. Ok rant over. I guess the moral of the story is love the one your with, if you cant then get a different one. But chances are that the new ones love affair will only last until the next best thing catches your eye.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:44 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

IMHO a ‘04 Z06 with a LS3 auto would be a perfect car.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:34 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

It's been all downhill since the '56/'57.

But what a ride.
WalterSobchak (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:42 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Saw a Torch Red C8 going the other way on I-81 a couple days back. Obviously, I was not up close, but from a distance I really liked it. I thought it was a Ferrari at first, then realized it was a C8. The driver was not "trying" at all; dutifully doing the speed limit, I would guess.

As to pricing, the base C5 snuck in just under $40k when it came out in 1997 - equivalent to about $64-65k today, so the base car is still a bargain.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackthelad:
BLUDICE (08-23-2020), rsvette187 (10-03-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:03 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I just watched the latest episode of Everyday Driver which focused on a new C8 and a 2014 Z51 Level3 C7. They were ecstatic with the overall performance, handling, fit and finish, well everything about the C8. I think I remember their being a negative comment about the taillight area but there has to be something,right? They didn’t bash the C7 either, although when comparing transmissions, they though the automatic C7 was a fraction slow to shift. They were both fans of manuals in Corvette’s but neither tester thought a manual in a C8 was needed or could improve on the driving experience of the dual clutch in the C8.

the C8 may not be for everybody but I believe GM hit a home run with this one.
The following 4 users liked this post by f6john:
jackthelad (08-23-2020), JerriVette (08-25-2020), lewislgZ06 (08-23-2020), vettpapaw (10-05-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:37 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've seen a few C8s in person and I'm still warming up to the design. I'm hoping with the upcoming release of the C8Z, that warming will heat up.

I added a 2019 Z06/Z07 to the stable and I'm very happy I decided to pull the trigger by possibly buying the last front generation manual transmission Corvette. I know the new automatics aren't like the earlier slush box transmissions from previous years, however for me, it's not always about which version is faster, but rather what make the driving experience more enjoyable. For me, there is nothing more fun than approaching a corner, downshifting, and then accelerating out of the corner with the bark of the exhaust revs.

I attended a show last week in St. Pete and checked out five C8s up close. I really like the interior quality and design, however I'm disappointed that GM didn't design better body molds for the engine bay. They used the same gray-ish, marble-like fiberglass material that I have in my C5 trunk. Not very visually appealing and for a car that is supposed to challenge and attract buyers of other mid-engine super cars, I think this is where you really see the difference in the GM product. I know there are aftermarket vendors who will produce covers, etc. to fill this void, but perhaps some OEM finished paint or other carbon-fiber components would have gone a long way to make it look better.

With any first year production run, I'm sure GM will make improvements but until then, I seem to like the odd number generations best.

Last edited by MSG C5; 08-23-2020 at 12:00 PM.
C5Dobie (10-07-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
yeah I saw one o PCH and still think it's an ugly car. I dont even like today cars anyways. However, I'm still down to race one on the backroads of pch.
There is still a number of guys that won't have anything other than a Model A. Too them, that was the last car built with style. Just saying...
Old 08-23-2020, 12:18 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

I have noticed that some of the most iconic designs have softer rounded bodies. The reason I ordered my C5 in 2000 was just that. I still have it and probably will keep it till I'm gone. That said the next 2 generations was never even a a temptation. The C8 whole different platform, And will be added to my garage, in the future. A chassis that can put the power to the ground makes it a winner. Opinions will very but distributors, gone, carburetors gone, and now manual transmissions. Just evolution of the species. PS never buy the first year of any big change.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:43 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Stunning car, we have a blue one in town to European for me
Old 08-23-2020, 12:59 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

The c8 is a great car and I may want one in the future, but I have a low mileage 99 with a SC that I just added. I LIKE making the cars the way I want them. With two young kids and work I only really enjoy the car on weekends. I simply cannot justify 80k for a c8 that will sit just as much as my c5....luckily I still have love for my c5, its paid for, less then 250 bucks for ins and with the added SC it keeps up with most cars today...I just prefer to dump that 80k into paying off the mortgage rather then a c8. I may add something newer to the stable in a couple of years....Add that is, not replace...
The following 3 users liked this post by tabbruzz:
flyingmfrc (08-23-2020), JerriVette (08-25-2020), monarch (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:10 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I just sold my C5, keeping my C3. I agree I'm not real enthused with the C8 looks. But I have always been that way with the mid engine exotics. Even with Ferrari models I much prefer the GTB/FE models over the mids. But it sure is fun watching the C8R whipping all the Euro's! The thing looks awesome on the track!

Last edited by CheezMoe; 08-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:13 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

First thing....I don't hate the C8. I have not seen one yet....maybe never where I live. I don't think there is anything wrong with the progression of the Corvette over the years, including the C8. My only objection is how much better the Ford GT looks compared to the C8. As far as GM went with the C8 departure, I don't think they went far enough. Maybe in the future.....

I won't ever spend the money for either one, so it's just fantasy talk for me anyway.
I do enjoy my C5 FRC for what it is. I'm glad someone out there can afford the Super Cars.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:58 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by redzg
No photos -- not allowed at work, even in the parking lot. But a real bright red C8 that I could walk right to. Had been hoping that when I saw one in person, I'd change my mind on the bugly look, but it's the opposite. I'll stick with the lines I like from the first.
Not to mention a LS3 could be dropped into the '99 for less than the down payment...
And it would still be slower, handle worse, less comfortable, 20+ years old without a warranty amenities etc also.....

I appreciate my C5 for what it is, not trying to pretend it's something it's not. It's great performance vs it's contemporaries, but at the end of the day it's 16 years old on a 23+ yr old platform. Doesn't make me love it less for what it is. There is no area I prefer my C5 over my C8 other than nostalgia.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:03 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc
First thing....I don't hate the C8. I have not seen one yet....maybe never where I live. I don't think there is anything wrong with the progression of the Corvette over the years, including the C8. My only objection is how much better the Ford GT looks compared to the C8. As far as GM went with the C8 departure, I don't think they went far enough. Maybe in the future.....

I won't ever spend the money for either one, so it's just fantasy talk for me anyway.
I do enjoy my C5 FRC for what it is. I'm glad someone out there can afford the Super Cars.
60k vs 450k good comparison
Daily driver that can go to the track vs a track car
C8 2 trunks vs GT 0 trunks

If they didn't have to make the C8 a daily driver they probably could do more too.
BLUDICE (08-25-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 02:08 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Was out detailing my '04 Vert when several couples came by on their daily walk. They knew that the '04 was the last year for the no show headlights and preferred that look because it made the car look streamlined. Nice to have others confirm why I choose the C5 not the C6 when I was looking to buy. BUT, if I could afford it, I would buy a C8 vert white with tan interior. I like the C8 lines overall and would enjoy not worrying about the cloth top.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:07 PM
flyingmfrc
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 271 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Unmodified

Hey Walter....You're right on the comparison of the cost. I was pretty much referring to the look of the car. It shouldn't cost that much more to make the car look better. I have no problem with the performance or even the quality of the C8. For me, I just think it could have been a swoopier design. It looks good, just not as good as it could have been. Maybe the C9 will get there.

Last edited by flyingmfrc; 08-23-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Saw my first in-person C8 -- I'll stick with the C5

Old 08-23-2020, 04:05 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

If we are into appearance comparisons, the benchmarks have to be Ferraris, Lambos and my favorites, Maclarens. I don't personally like the Ford GT, styling wise, I prefer the older model.

I think they did a really good job on the C8, though the tail on view is not the best. Mind you, IMO Corvettes have not had decent rear end styling since the late C4's. The C5 just has a big butt, which the central exhaust emphasizes, the C6 is pretty much the same, and the C7 is far too fussy and Camaro like.

Still wondering why/how the C8 got so heavy. Normally a move to a rear engine configuration enables a smaller, lighter car, not a heavier one.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:28 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc
Hey Walter....You're right on the comparison of the cost. I was pretty much referring to the look of the car. It shouldn't cost that much more to make the car look better. I have no problem with the performance or even the quality of the C8. For me, I just think it could have been a swoopier design. It looks good, just not as good as it could have been. Maybe the C9 will get there.
I do agree if money were no object I would have a GT carbon edition in my garage. I think ford did a great job with that car. I was just talking apples to apples.
flyingmfrc (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Josh427SS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The C8 looks so much better without the Z51 spoilers and once you put new wheels on. IMO I think all of the wheel options for the C8 do not fit the car at all.

Quick Reply: Saw my first in-person C8 -- I'll stick with the C5