Sponsored by:

Another Seatbelt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another Seatbelt Issue

My '03's driver side seat belt is stuck retracted. I can do the trick where I hold tension on it and pull and get it to release inch-by-inch, but this is not really helpful for day-to-day driving. I have also released it all the way, and it is not doubled over itself anywhere. I have been unable to find a replacement part. If they are no longer made, then what do I do to correct the problem?

Thanks.

Popular Reply

08-04-2020, 06:37 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,252 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
My '03's driver side seat belt is stuck retracted. I can do the trick where I hold tension on it and pull and get it to release inch-by-inch, but this is not really helpful for day-to-day driving. I have also released it all the way, and it is not doubled over itself anywhere. I have been unable to find a replacement part. If they are no longer made, then what do I do to correct the problem?

Thanks.
I've been right where you are and I know what's wrong and how to fix it.

Ok, now hear me out...Your **** spring has come loose from your screaming troll.

You still with me?

First, get your belt out the car and ready to do surgery.

Use small flatheads and remove the lower seat belt end cap.

Say hello to the **** spring and the screaming troll

Now the middle plastic piece (that rides along with the big plastic gear) needs to hook into the other end of your **** spring (which is shown not connected above).

This is a close-up of the plastic arm that ties it all together.

And this is how the small arm end should press down on this purple tab in order to release the seat belt lock. You do need to align the big end of the plastic arm to where the plastic gear stops when fully retracted. You'll figure it out as you get in there but it should look like this when you are ready to put the plastic endcap back on.

Basically what happens when the seatbelt will not release is the small end of the plastic arm disconnects **** spring and the purple tab can no longer be pressed down which activates the locking mechanism immediately. No amount of pushing the seatbelt lower into the receiver will free the belt because the spring is no longer connected and the release tab is on full lock at all times.

I am fairly confident that disassembling and reconnecting the spring as outlined above should fix your belts. Since all of us with C5s cannot get replacement seat belts, we will all be in the same boat eventually. I didn't see any detailed info on the forum so I went ahead and took pics for posterity. Hope this info helps you or anyone in the future.

Here is a bonus picture deeper in the belt to visually explain just how the locking mechanism works.

Normally the yellow arm is hanging free and the plastic gear is freely spinning. When the yellow arm gets hit with a jarring motion, the arm will fall off the wobbly chrome beer keg. Then the yellow arm will lock into the plastic gear which then causes a metal tab to drop onto an outside larger metal gear (snaaake!) which then locks the belt.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

No new ones for quite some time now. Used or refurbished are the only options. Not sure if the 03 is the same as my 99, but I've been ripped off on used ones on ebay that had been extended, removing the overlap, and the belts were very clearly marked as non-usable.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:55 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There is a company (Safety Restore) that can fix the retractors for you, and the turnaround is very quick. (About a week and that is mostly due to the shipping to and from)

I sent mine to them to have them re-webbed in red and I’m very happy with them.

Here is their website if you’re interested.
https://www.safetyrestore.com/
The following users liked this post:
Red5 (09-26-2022)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SDS Photography

Thanks.
I've been right where you are and I know what's wrong and how to fix it.

Ok, now hear me out...Your **** spring has come loose from your screaming troll.

You still with me?

First, get your belt out the car and ready to do surgery.

Use small flatheads and remove the lower seat belt end cap.

Say hello to the **** spring and the screaming troll

Now the middle plastic piece (that rides along with the big plastic gear) needs to hook into the other end of your **** spring (which is shown not connected above).

This is a close-up of the plastic arm that ties it all together.

And this is how the small arm end should press down on this purple tab in order to release the seat belt lock. You do need to align the big end of the plastic arm to where the plastic gear stops when fully retracted. You'll figure it out as you get in there but it should look like this when you are ready to put the plastic endcap back on.

Basically what happens when the seatbelt will not release is the small end of the plastic arm disconnects **** spring and the purple tab can no longer be pressed down which activates the locking mechanism immediately. No amount of pushing the seatbelt lower into the receiver will free the belt because the spring is no longer connected and the release tab is on full lock at all times.

I am fairly confident that disassembling and reconnecting the spring as outlined above should fix your belts. Since all of us with C5s cannot get replacement seat belts, we will all be in the same boat eventually. I didn't see any detailed info on the forum so I went ahead and took pics for posterity. Hope this info helps you or anyone in the future.

Here is a bonus picture deeper in the belt to visually explain just how the locking mechanism works.

Normally the yellow arm is hanging free and the plastic gear is freely spinning. When the yellow arm gets hit with a jarring motion, the arm will fall off the wobbly chrome beer keg. Then the yellow arm will lock into the plastic gear which then causes a metal tab to drop onto an outside larger metal gear (snaaake!) which then locks the belt.
The following 7 users liked this post by jdmvette:
Alley Oop (11-18-2021), bookyoh (11-16-2021), lewislgZ06 (08-04-2020), MWWarlord (08-04-2020), SDS Photography (08-05-2020), Yello95 (11-20-2021), zzrsteve (08-08-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Outstanding write up and the picks are killer. I hope I never need this info. LOL Thanks
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Fantastic write up! Great job!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:31 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine does this very occasionally, like once every few months. Once I get it extended enough to use, and drive around a bit, it seems to fix itself. Looking at the mechanism, I can't understand how it would just sometimes not work. haha
Old 08-04-2020, 04:19 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmvette
This may be the greatest line ever written in a forum. Thanks for the awesome write-up!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:46 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: I did this tonight and it is now working correctly. Fun side story - it can be done without removing the seat belt. Not the most fun thing ever, but it can be done.
zzrsteve (08-08-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:53 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Great! Glad you're back in business.
SDS Photography (08-05-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,351 Likes on 14,005 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Glad you got the belts to work again.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Seatbelt Issue

Quick Reply: Another Seatbelt Issue