Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices for New Transmission vs Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 04:24 PM
ItsAVetteThing
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Prices for New Transmission vs Rebuilt?

So, I think the transmission on my '04 auto (119k miles) is slipping. Once it hits 3rd gear it starts to rev extremely high and makes some jerking movements. And once it hits 65-70 the RPMs will go into the red and jerk the entire vehicle before I release the gas to downshift. Also, pressing the gas results in very high revving before barely any actual movement takes place. I thought it could low transmission fluid so I had that done earlier today along with some other fluid changes and it didn't change anything, although the filter might still be the issue. Taking it to the dealer Monday to see what they say, but I'd like to weigh their prices vs getting one myself and having a trusted transmission/tuner shop install it. Any tips or ideas?

I'll try posting a video showcasing the issue, but it's kinda hard to make out over video.

Last edited by ItsAVetteThing; 07-08-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:35 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

So My (auto) transmission blew when I added my A&A supercharger. I was shocked to discover that a stage V transmission from RPM wasn't much more expensive than a new OEM transmission. Just thought I'd throw that out as a third option. That would make your transmission virtually bulletproof for anything that you may decide to do.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 04:49 PM
ItsAVetteThing
Racer

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
So My (auto) transmission blew when I added my A&A supercharger. I was shocked to discover that a stage V transmission from RPM wasn't much more expensive than a new OEM transmission. Just thought I'd throw that out as a third option. That would make your transmission virtually bulletproof for anything that you may decide to do.
I am looking to mod in the future, it's bone stock at the moment, so I'll look into that. I pretty much know nothing about transmissions, does theirs come with a warranty?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Yes! RPM backs all of their products. Just a heads up, in my case we sent them the stock transmission out of my car, and they reused the housing. This doesn't have any effect on performance or reliability, it just lowers the cost.
The following 4 users liked this post by MWWarlord:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2020), ItsAVetteThing (07-08-2020), leadfoot4 (07-09-2020), Moto One (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 PM
ItsAVetteThing
Racer

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
Yes! RPM backs all of their products. Just a heads up, in my case we sent them the stock transmission out of my car, and they reused the housing. This doesn't have any effect on performance or reliability, it just lowers the cost.
So they sent you the unit and you just sent or old one back? Or you had to send them your transmission first?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '21-'22

So, my transmission shredded third gear while it was on the dyno. My speed shop actually handled the transaction for me. However, as I understand it, they sent them my transmission, and they built the new transmission in my existing stock housing. This was a few years ago, so things could have changed. It should also be noted that at the time RPM had a one month backlog. However, the transmission is now absolutely bulletproof. I do know that RPM has GREAT customer service. If you contact them, I'm certain that they could work something out for you.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

RPM away wants a core. keeps the price down. They will send you a new (built Trans), you return your old one.

Great trans by the way. Great people to work with at RPM.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 07-09-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:09 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I went with a dealer rebuilding my C4 transmission - afterwards and realized it would have been smarter to have gone with a rebuilt because it would have a better warranty - as it turned out I had to take it back to the dealership for additional work that ended up costing me more money.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

From experience, replace the old factory torque converter with a good aftermarket one because if it fails it will send debris into the transmission requiring a rebuild again.

Last edited by Fast one; 07-09-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Do some shopping ..there are plenty of reputable after market
tranny shops. Most are far better than OEM. Buy a aftermarket torque
convertor. When I bought my tranny ,I used the same crate to send back
my old tranny. Very easy transaction.
Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Prices for New Transmission vs Rebuilt?

Quick Reply: Prices for New Transmission vs Rebuilt?