Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:42 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
@ArmchairArchitect Hey......so I'm curious. Have you looked to see how much data your head unit is using? I have a FI sim card sitting here for mine also but I've held of installing it because I'm frugal and I'm worried about the head unit running my data usage up.
Not sure, but you can turn mobile data off while driving (quick pull down of the top menu), then turn it back on when parked. Or do this:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...-apps-android/

I've also saved "offline maps" in Google Maps which still allows me to use maps/GPS without any internet connection.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 04-26-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:16 PM
C5James
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the thread, I put the new Joying radio in my C5 today. It looks awesome and actually seems to be a better fit than the original. Will try to root it today since I can't access the home buttons. Apple CarPlay works great so far. Two thumbs up!!!
The following users liked this post:
Dark Sarcasm (05-23-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:40 PM
C5James
3rd Gear

I took a car washing sponge that I had on hand and cut it , then stuffed it on top and bottom of the unit before I put the bezel back on. I didn't like the thought of the screen holding the unit in place with the bezel.
ArmchairArchitect (05-25-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to thank everyone here for all the great info. I chose not to go with the 8.8 in joying in my 2003 Convertible for a few reasons, but I did get a single din Joying with same internals, and all the info here made the install much easier than it would have been!

I ended up going with this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001484018896.html

I didn't want to have to modify the stock housing
More importantly I wanted buttons since I have no SWC and I really hate the little SWC Addon. This way I get physical *****(also push) and two rows of capacitive buttons.
I also didn't want to have to root just to see all the screen and 480 is a little weak. I just put a similar unit in my WRX(just capacitive buttons) and I loved. Same FYT core and same screen rez and so far haven't had to root to do anything I want.

Yes it sticks out a little(easier to reach anyway) and right now it goes down 1/4 of an inch over the HVAC controls. I just got a different metra kit that should let me move it up 1/2-3/4 of an inch, which I think will make it look much better. I'll send pics once fitted.
I also took the opportunity to get out the solder and restore my HVAC LED brightness, and install a backup camera(NO DRILLING) , both learned from this forum!!!

FYI I went with the Axxess harness to have RAP.
This thing sounds awesome!!! Especially playing FLAC from my 200gb microsd.
Again no dis-respect to those who went with the 8.8, I nearly did the same, just finally chose function over "that stock look". Personally I find the plastic console housing pretty crappy looking and the less I see the better ;-)
Haven't decided where to put my USBs yet. For now I'll put them in where the ashtray was.

BTW I'm writing an app to bridge notification from the phone to the HU over wifi tether. I don't put my main google account on my HUs and I don't trust the cloud based apps that sync notifications, so I'm writing my own. Will post here and XDA when it's ready for consumption(probably next week)

Thanks again!!

Old 06-06-2021, 07:51 AM
gottahavit
Advanced

So the kit I ordered to raise the unit didn't fit right so for now I went with the basic Metra single DIN. I actually like the way it looks in the car, if I can raise it 1/2 in it I will be even happier, also fit's right up to the center trim so it doesn't stick out as far as I thought . I can still see and access HVAC when sitting in the car, but it does cover just a little. Having all the buttons is great. I ran the SIM card and the USBs to where the ashtray was which can hide behind the tray door. GPS ran through center console and placed inside the Convertible top support. Backup camera also run through Center console. 4G antennae's are slip up into dash above the metal frame of the stereo housing.

I know my car got dirty putting this in, it's gonna get a good cleaning, wash and wax today!

smitty2919 (04-18-2024)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:52 PM
bfrank87
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I apologize if this has already been covered. I went through the thread and didn't see anything about it. But I purchased the joying unit, new component speakers, 2 amps and a sub. So I am going to be getting rid of all the bose stuff. My question is which harness do I need to do this? I saw all the topics on the axxess vs. The pac to retain the bose, but which harness do I need to completely bypass it and retain the RAP? Or does this even exist?
Old 06-06-2021, 03:25 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

Originally Posted by bfrank87
I apologize if this has already been covered. I went through the thread and didn't see anything about it. But I purchased the joying unit, new component speakers, 2 amps and a sub. So I am going to be getting rid of all the bose stuff. My question is which harness do I need to do this? I saw all the topics on the axxess vs. The pac to retain the bose, but which harness do I need to completely bypass it and retain the RAP? Or does this even exist?
If you're going to gut the Bose, then I would get an AMP with digital in(optical or spdif) as you will get cleaner sound, alternatively run RCA to each of your amps from the unit. Run amp switch wire from the Head Unit Amp wire(Orange Black) to your AMP power. You'll want to find your 12v, ant. power wire, and backup wire(and any others I'm forgetting) off the stock wiring. I think you need to get accessory wire from the ignition or under the footwell(I think there is a video here somewhere). So no harness just straight wire ups.

I suppose in theory you could use the Axxess harness, then wire up your amp and speakers off the stock wiring coming off the stock harness, but that seems kinda hacky. I think there's a stock filter in there somwher that might make this difficlt.

I'm not expert so others may have better options for you.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:23 PM
bfrank87
Instructor

@gottahavit i may be overthinking it. I know to run the rca cables from the radio to the amp, then speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. But I didnt know if there was a harness out there needed to connect the head unit to the car without using the bose stuff, and everything still work right. If anyone knows of a thread or video out there on doing this please point me to it.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:02 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

@gottahavit i may be overthinking it. I know to run the rca cables from the radio to the amp, then speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. But I didnt know if there was a harness out there needed to connect the head unit to the car without using the bose stuff, and everything still work right. If anyone knows of a thread or video out there on doing this please point me to it.
As long as you can find all your switch, acc, and power wires. Pretty sure the harness was just to properly turn on the amps for the SWs and route the signals properly. The only other harness features I can think of was my 12 disc changer which I lost as part of the swap and isn't plugged in anymore. I don't think there's anything there in the axxess for the car, just for the sound. Only other thing I can think of you might have issues with is getting the antennae to go up, but I suspect that' just a switch wire in the stock harness.

Again I would highly recommend going digital(not RCA) off the Joying, those HUs put out pretty dirty sound even on the RCAs. Digital from all reports in clean.

Last edited by gottahavit; 06-06-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:08 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

Updated:
I realized that the unit fit tight enough against the dash that I didn't need the supporting sleeve(Grey Plastic) around the detachable mounts, which is what was stopping me from adjusting the screen up one set of holes in the back(this version only has one set up and down).
With the sleeve on the ribbon connecter hit the plastic sleeve if I moved it up one notch. without the sleeve when I was playing with it on the bench the screen was not quite stable enough, but turns out the dash serves the same purpose so I was able to move it up and clear my HVAC control almost perfectly now.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:19 AM
bfrank87
Instructor

Originally Posted by gottahavit
As long as you can find all your switch, acc, and power wires. Pretty sure the harness was just to properly turn on the amps for the SWs and route the signals properly. The only other harness features I can think of was my 12 disc changer which I lost as part of the swap and isn't plugged in anymore. I don't think there's anything there in the axxess for the car, just for the sound. Only other thing I can think of you might have issues with is getting the antennae to go up, but I suspect that' just a switch wire in the stock harness.

Again I would highly recommend going digital(not RCA) off the Joying, those HUs put out pretty dirty sound even on the RCAs. Digital from all reports in clean.
How do I know if my amp is compatible with digital? I already purchased 2 amps. Both are Rockford Fosgate, one mono block for the subwoofer and a 4 channel for the components. I honestly never knew using digital cables was an option.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM
gottahavit
Advanced

How do I know if my amp is compatible with digital? I already purchased 2 amps. Both are Rockford Fosgate, one mono block for the subwoofer and a 4 channel for the components. I honestly never knew using digital cables was an option.
you'd have an optical or spdif(coax) input. Your other option is a cheap 4channel optical to RCA DAC. If my AMP had RCA I'd definitely be doing that.
Something like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-07-2021, 03:13 PM
bfrank87
Instructor

Originally Posted by gottahavit
you'd have an optical or spdif(coax) input. Your other option is a cheap 4channel optical to RCA DAC. If my AMP had RCA I'd definitely be doing that.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Conve.../dp/B07X94PF4D
So looking at the back of the Joying unit there appears to be one optical out port. So, if I used that DAC, would I run an optic cable from the unit to the DAC, then RCA's from the DAC to the amps? Also do you know of any car amplifiers that come with digital ports? I have looked for one and cant find any.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

Yes to your first question. I haven't looked for amps. I was looking at the DAC, but that won't work as I don't have RCAs in the stock amps. Definitely if I ever upgrade my amp I will either do one with optical in or do the DAC to RCA option, though obviously the Digital amp would be better.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:25 PM
bfrank87
Instructor

@MetalMan2 I am late to the game, but I just ordered my joying unit. Do you have any more of these volume ***** for sale? I'd like one.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 09-02-2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Removed quote of NSV post.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:04 PM
gottahavit
Advanced

**** looks too new

Looks good, but I have my Magnetic suspension control there.

Last edited by gottahavit; 06-13-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:46 PM
C5James
3rd Gear

Anyone have a problem with the AM/FM radio after rooting the Joying? While I don't use it much it doesn't change radio stations or scan anymore. There is no sound (static) if I max out the volume. I emailed Joying, they are very responsive--they wanted me to re-flash the latest update. I didn't tell them I rooted it, because they wouldn't support it. The radio feature did work before rooting the device. Just checking to see if anyone else ran into this and any possible solutions.

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

I have not heard of this issue before. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd probably reset to factory again and see if it works, then re-root. And yes, Joying won't like knowing it was rooted, so I would definitely resist telling them.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:15 AM
bfrank87
Instructor

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Little late responding, but unfortunately I don't have any left and don't have any plans to make them again.

No issues here with rooted unit and radio functionality.
Thats my luck. A day late and a dollar short. If you do decide to make some more, let me know i will buy one.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:23 PM
HZ06
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

This is an amazing post. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Last edited by HZ06; 07-17-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)