Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:06 AM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RichSilvestris
If you look at the LTemple's first post to this thread, you can see his home page is altered from Joying's supplied home page, and that the temperature is displayed in degrees F.
In another post, he mentions that he downloaded Nova Launcher to enable his changes. I have been warming up to it, but I'm not there yet.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...prime&hl=en_US
Thanks, have to go back and take a look at that! Haven't used C5 for a couple weeks. Hopefully this weekend I can get it squared away.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BradJohnson22
I had never heard of Joying, so I went with a known name; I found this Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX on Amazon and it came XM ready, with Bluetooth, HD radio, a back-up camera, built-in Alexa and a remote control. Works with both Apple CarPlay, Android Auto (i have 1 Android and 1 iPhone synced). Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I bit the bullet and paid for the installation. Having Ford Sync in my company car, it made the screen a must for my weekend touring car.

Is that the Metra console for a double din radio? I really like the look, just wish the finish would match.
The following users liked this post:
philip76 (09-29-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:09 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
Is that the Metra console for a double din radio? I really like the look, just wish the finish would match.
The Metra bezel is nice. I had purchased a new Metra bezel and Sony double din and was all set to go until I saw this Joying project. As has been discussed, the Joying install has its own unique challenges, but I enjoy that kind of thing (wiring, rooting, etc.) and decided to go in that direction. I'm just refinishing a stock bezel now that I'll use for the Joying install. Now I gotta sell the Metra bezel and Sony head unit....

But back to the Metra bezel. I've owned both VetteNuts and Metra Bezel's and I lean towards the Metra. Reason is the way it fits around the head unit. You can see in the photo above it has a nice clean fit around the head unit. The VetteNuts is not that well defined around the head unit. The bash that most have against Metra's bezel is the finish. Had I proceeded with my Metra install, I was going to add a texture finish to it with Sem's texture product. They both are nice products in their own way. Vettenuts keeps the OEM style cubby and cupholder doors, but not as well defined around the head unit. Some owners also have issues with the narrow horizontal strip separating the dd head unit and HVAC control panel. Metra has a nice head unit fit, but you lose cubby / cupholder doors and have the different texture.

Last edited by roegs; 09-28-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Ok, so here's a live review of Car Launcher Pro. Don't laugh at my awesome video handling or speaking.....I'm a car guy, not a youtuber, lol. I just uploaded it so give it a minute if it's not live yet.

The following 6 users liked this post by Fastbird:
ArmchairArchitect (09-29-2020), a_ahmed (04-11-2022), chevyorange (09-30-2020), philip76 (09-29-2020), RichSilvestris (09-29-2020), roegs (09-30-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:25 AM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Ok, so here's a live review of Car Launcher Pro. Don't laugh at my awesome video handling or speaking.....I'm a car guy, not a youtuber, lol. I just uploaded it so give it a minute if it's not live yet.

very nice. I will be getting that for sure.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:00 AM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm462
Thanks, have to go back and take a look at that! Haven't used C5 for a couple weeks. Hopefully this weekend I can get it squared away.
Yes, I use Nova Launcher Pro. Allows me to change icon size and style, and I can add whatever widgets and customization I want.
rpm462 (10-01-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Ltemple
Advanced

Originally Posted by maybelooking
very nice. I will be getting that for sure.
This is why I love android for head units. Allows us to customize however we want. Thanks for the video!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

So I just started addressing an extra AH/TCS panel for MetalMan's rotary encoder setup. You folks that bought his encoder may be interested in these pics.

So here's the panel opened up. It simply clips together, no glue holding it together. The circuit board come out, GINGERLY. Pull it evenly, the pins are in pass throughs in the bottom of the lower panel.

Here you can see the approximate location of the Arduino and Rotary Encoder, and where the interference is.

Now, looking at the circuit board. The left side needs to go. But, the good news is that NO lighting or function will be lost on a NON-F45/F55 car. The worst case scenario would be a slightly dimmer light output due to losing the one bulb, but it should be a factor due to it's location (it's there for lighting the F45/55 Switch and Lettering on equipped cars). The one circuit that goes around that light on the left is terminated at the blank hole and not used that I can ascertain.

Moving to the inside of the switch panel, you can see the clear plastic light dispersing plastic. Half of it will need to be cut out, as well as the plastic stand. This is how the dispersing plastic is secured, but by what I can see, gluing it in place shouldn't pose any issues once it's cut.

I'll throw some more pics up after the fact, but by what I'm seeing here, I should be able to mount everything, get it back under the lower housing, and have the wire and USB both accessible. Will report back.
roegs (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Well.....this worked out PERFECTLY.

First, I cruised past the point of no return.

Then it was time to put the half diffuser back in place. Some 5 minute epoxy to the rescue. DO NOT put it around the edge near the switch. The entire switch button floats in the hole. I put epoxy on the bottom of the diffuser, and at the top right corner. Then I spread some around the base of the diffuser once it was tacky and in place. NOTE: On the bottom of the switch, there are two grey and black rubber stands. This is what supports the switch and gives it the positive feedback when you press it. They do fall right out, and just sit in place. Don't lose them, and ensure they go back in (one in the left recess, one in the right recess).

On the inside, left edge, there's a thin support ridge. I felt this was going to interfere with the Arduino so I used a dremel and drum sander to disappear it.

I made a 3/8 hole at the back.......easy access to the programming USB port now. I did this with the bottom plate ON the panel so I could clearance the lip on it (I went back after removing the bottom plate and used a sanding drum to further clearance it).

On the bottom panel, there was a hole you can see here on the right with some marks around it. I opened that up to 1/2" and ground the inside of the panel flat around the hole (there was about a 1/8" lip there). I had to elongate the hole towards the circuit board slightly just to not cause undue stress on the Arduino cable.

So this is what I ended up with. Looks like it was supposed to be there. Fits fine, and I have indeed verified that the Active Handling switch does indeed still light up with the vehicle lighting. Last thing I did before fully assembling was open a hole on the circular area of the bottom panel, so I've got access to the program button on the Arduino.

I am VERY happy with how this came out. The only thing is my car is a 99 and didn't have the Passenger Airbag light......so I'm not sure if I'm going to cut mine up or what at this point. May just use this one and deal with it.
RichSilvestris (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:12 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Very nice!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Very nice!
@MetalMan2 Your packaging in how you assembled it was perfect to tuck into that panel. I'm actually considering finding a **** with a thumb recess on it, then opening the hole and figuring out a way to somewhat flush mount the ****. I think it would be slick if I could figure that out. Wouldn't be perfect due to the contour of the panel, but would be cool I think.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 AM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

The bezel on Selective Ride cars already has the start for a flush mount. Could this be adapted for the volume control?

Old 09-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by roegs
The bezel on Selective Ride cars already has the start for a flush mount. Could this be adapted for the volume control?

That was my plan but I wasn't able to locate a selective ride panel. Guy I use only had non selective ride ones (I don't want to spend $50+ to experiment on one, I got the one I used for $20).
Old 10-01-2020, 08:00 PM
larney
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Was just curious what's everyone's experience with the Joying in dash units? How are they holding up after a few months
of use and service? Pros/cons? Is everyone still happy with them? Looking to join the Joying club. Maybe.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:57 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Technical discussion on the new crop of Joying Android 10 units that replaced the original unit the OP used:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ore-1-t4168069

Not sure if/when they'll be able to be rooted, but there's some good info in here on the differences between the old and new units (note, a lot of the Joying units appear to have the same "guts" but then they make different screen sizes for them.

I'm ordering mine today.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:59 AM
larney
Instructor

I was more concerned about how they are holding up. How is the sound now that
you've lived with it for a while? Is the operation still smooth and user friendly? Those
are the things I want to know.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Originally Posted by larney
you've lived with it for a while? Is the operation still smooth and user friendly? Those
Mine is doing well; sound quality and everything else is working great so far. A big thanks to MetalMan2 for the volume control device. I did put my own control **** on it however. Also, the setup on the screen is called "Car Widget" and the icons are "Evin Icon Pack".

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 10-02-2020, 12:15 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by larney
I wasn't responding to you (would have quoted you if so), but rather posting info for the group discussion. This thread isn't about just you.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 10-02-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:07 PM
larney
Instructor

Geez. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:13 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Anyone have trouble with Maps sizing properly on the resized (rooted) screen? I was showing the setup to my buddy but my maps for some reason didn't cooperate at all.

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)