Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Backup cam is in and verified working. I like how discreed the installation is, but I don't like how it hangs over the plate so low. May end up changing it up at some point to one that mounts higher. But it works for now.

Radio gave me a start. When I first keyed on......there was NOTHING. I though maybe it would get a splash screen on initial start or something, but nope. Black, then boom, we have a radio.

Found an EXCELLENT incognito location for the microphone. If your rear view mirror has power coming to it (I believe they all do), if you feel up around the front of the trim panel, there is a small cutout where the wiring may or may not be coming through. My wiring was off to the left of this cutout, so I simply slid the back of the mic into that, gave it a twist so the ball locked it into place (yeah, that actually worked, then fed the wire along the top and down through the A Pillar. REALLY happy with this, sorry about the crappy pic. With my seating position in the car I can barely see it's there.

I'm not so sure mine is sitting where it needs to. The screen isn't touching the cage on either side....not sure that's how it goes in or not. Thoughts?

Seems to be sitting on the extra flat area of the dash cover.....does that need trimming?

But.....I also did some looking.......I believe this is COMPLETELY reversible. I took a close look at the head unit mounts that were removed.......if you look at the back side, where they were secured to the cage......there's meat there. I firmly believe you can drill and tap those bosses, smooth the face, and even with my big hands I know I could feed a small machine bolt and washer from the back side and tighten them back in. Only need one per side, these aren't structural. So there is a fix if you want to press rewind on this entire thing at some point.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fastbird:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2020), Ltemple (09-22-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by maybelooking
So the right top tab on my bezel was already broken. The previous owner had sone some modifications to the bezel and broken that tab.

So that right top corner of the bezel doesn't pull up snug like it should. It doesn't look bad and if I didn't point it out you might never know it....but my OCD gets the best of me.

Do you guys figure there is an epoxy strong enough for me to remake that tab or do I just need to look into getting a new bezel?

Thanks.
I'm refinishing a used bezel I bought for this project. From everything I can tell, they are ABS. I would try ABS cement (assuming that you have the pieces). The cement will bond the pieces back together vs just gluing them.

Last edited by roegs; 09-20-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:18 AM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I gotta say Ltemple is AWESOME. He stayed on the phone with me quite a while yesterday while I was trying to get this thing rooted and finished up. I finally was able to root it and change the screen size but I seem to be the first person to experience this slight setback and I wanted to share it with everyone in case it happens to you. During step two of the process this red writing appeared at the top of my screen. If I go back and start the entire process over the writing goes away after step one, but reappears again after step two. At some point this week I am going to removed the unit and send it to Ltemple so he can see if there is anything that can be done. After all the time I spent getting this thing installed Im tempted to just leave it. LOL. But I would rather have that script gone if possible. Also.....MetalMan2 the volume control is AWESOME. I love it. Thanks for both of you guys for all the time and effort you have spent making this a really good option for C5 owners.

Last edited by maybelooking; 09-21-2020 at 05:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:31 AM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

MetalMan2, I have been busy and not following this thread very good, was there any update on the Volume control? were you doing another batch? I am still very interested in buying one. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
But.....I also did some looking.......I believe this is COMPLETELY reversible. I took a close look at the head unit mounts that were removed.......if you look at the back side, where they were secured to the cage......there's meat there. I firmly believe you can drill and tap those bosses, smooth the face, and even with my big hands I know I could feed a small machine bolt and washer from the back side and tighten them back in. Only need one per side, these aren't structural. So there is a fix if you want to press rewind on this entire thing at some point.
Thanks for sharing this photo. Totally agree that there is plenty material left to re-install these if a guy every wants to go back.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:50 PM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by roegs
I'm refinishing a used bezel I bought for this project. From everything I can tell, they are ABS. I would try ABS cement (assuming that you have the pieces). The cement will bond the pieces back together vs just gluing them.
Thanks. I don't have the right top tab, but I think I can make it. I will give it a shot.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:55 PM
04SonicGT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can add me to the list!

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 09-03-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:25 AM
CHB
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if it will work with the Bose speaker system?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:03 AM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The radio? Yes, it works with the stock Bose speakers.

Metalman, Thanks!! I would also need the ****, just PM me whenever you need some $$.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:14 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by CHB
Do you know if it will work with the Bose speaker system?
Yes, but like any other headunit upgrade while keeping the rest of the OEM Bose system intact, you will need to use an interface. Click here for details.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-29-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:17 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Bose Compatibility

Originally Posted by GCG
Yes, but like any other headunit upgrade while keeping the rest of the OEM Bose system intact, you will need to use an interface. Click here for details.
I used the Axxess interface and it works with the Bose just fine. I had some trouble consistently getting power at the Amp Control wire coming out of the Joying Unit. Had to tap into 12v accessory (red). Fun fact: You're getting power to the Bose amp if the antenna goes up!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:51 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts

That does look great! Nice job finding it and tweaking the display to get it just right!

Last edited by FrankLP; 09-23-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:22 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

OMG! First official full send trial fit. I made the cuts on the bezel where needed. Didn't trim anything on the inside perimeter at all. This fits like a freaking GLOVE. Snapped into place VERY firmly. I am absolutely tickled pink with how it looks. A note: You DO NOT want the stereo body itself fixed in place. Reason being? If I had to remove my bezel with the body and thus faceplate firmly in place, I could easily see the trimmed tabs up top on the bezel breaking due to the force needed to remove.

@Ltemple My hat is off to you sir for figuring this out. It took ingenuity, outside the box thinking, and stones to go through with it. And the community thanks you sir.

Test fit. My bezel has NEVER sat so tightly.

Also, there's a GREAT incognito little spot for the GPS antenna if you pull your a pillar off. There is a big cavity at the front of the pillar where the GPS antenna fits wonderfully. I used some tacky tape on the back side of it to hold it in place. Fits beautifully and was super easy to route the wiring over to the head unit. Kind of hard to see in the picture, but if you look at the front where the A Pillar would be, there is the GPS antenna and a single wire coming off of it. Gives you an idea of the area I'm talking about. Look directly between the red and yellow reflections.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fastbird:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2020), Ltemple (09-24-2020), MikeGrumbles (11-07-2021)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

@Ltemple I'm rooted, good instructions, but unless I missed it there's two extractions from a zip steps. One to extract the downloaded file, a second to extract the file contained within each folder (except step 4, do NOT extract the .apk file). That threw me initially. Once I got past that, everything installed as planned.

HOWEVER....I'm having trouble with the "Screen Resizer" app. I can open, grant superuser permissions, set the pad to 62 left and 25 right, click preview, and it shows like I want, gives me the 10 second warning to accept, which I do, then......I get a new size overlayed on the old full screen, with a "DONE" front and center but I can't click it. Any advice?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:07 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I can no longer find the JY-HOS01N4GS-1 unit on Joying's site, but it appears that it was possibly replaced with a newer Android 10.0 unit JY-HQS01N4G-1: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-an...5ghz-wifi.html

Does this look the same to you guys dimensions wise? What, if any, other differences can you spot besides the newer Android version? Think this will present issues with rooting/screen resizing (if rooting is even required, see my previous post with info on how to resize without rooting that should work in theory)?

For comparison, here is a cached version of the specs on the older/original unit, since they took it down from their site:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Looks like the new version is using ARM Cortex processors/chips rather than Intel processors/chips?

I have an email out to Joying as well.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-24-2020 at 02:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
chevyorange (09-25-2020), Hero Danny (10-07-2021)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

Very Interesting. Looks like they got rid of the clock interface on the JY-HOS01N4GS-2 and went back to the older looking home screen like on the JY-HOS01N4GS-1. Works better anyway. I'd love to have this unit to try it out.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Ltemple
Advanced

@Ltemple I'm rooted, good instructions, but unless I missed it there's two extractions from a zip steps. One to extract the downloaded file, a second to extract the file contained within each folder (except step 4, do NOT extract the .apk file). That threw me initially. Once I got past that, everything installed as planned.

HOWEVER....I'm having trouble with the "Screen Resizer" app. I can open, grant superuser permissions, set the pad to 62 left and 25 right, click preview, and it shows like I want, gives me the 10 second warning to accept, which I do, then......I get a new size overlayed on the old full screen, with a "DONE" front and center but I can't click it. Any advice?
Can you take a photo and post it? Interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Ltemple
Can you take a photo and post it? Interesting.
Here is what I'm seeing.

Also, a PSA as a side note. Since we are rooting these, search out and install the adaway apk. Best ad blocker ever, but requires root access. So good google took it off the play store. Should work great on these units. Going to install shortly, will report back if I run across any bugs.

Last edited by Fastbird; 09-24-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

@Ltemple I think it is working after all. On the home screen, the background image is full screen, but the actual functioning items (menu bar, etc) are all constrained to the newly set padded areas. I did notice as I believe others have mentioned that the settings pages get cut off on the right now though. I tried another app called screen rescaler but it was a hot mess.

Oh, and AdAway did install without issue, once you gave permission to install from unknown sources.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

@Ltemple I think it is working after all. On the home screen, the background image is full screen, but the actual functioning items (menu bar, etc) are all constrained to the newly set padded areas. I did notice as I believe others have mentioned that the settings pages get cut off on the right now though. I tried another app called screen rescaler but it was a hot mess.

Oh, and AdAway did install without issue, once you gave permission to install from unknown sources.
Great!

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)