Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 03:51 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Many Thanks

No war stories here, but I did get bloodied. Unit is now rooted and behaving.
I have Bose, and I used the Axxess 2004 XVSI harness. In the end, I had to use the accessory wire coming out of the head unit to the Amp Control wire in the harness.
I used a Beat Sonic CS3EP to provide an input and switch for the front camera.
Many thanks to Ltemple, MetalMan2, GCG and others who helped me through this. Electronics are the devil to me!
Can't wait to go at it with the volume control ****.....

Screen Resized

Rear View Camera

Front View Camera. The line is about 6 inches away from the front bumper

Front Camera Switch

Last edited by RichSilvestris; 08-18-2020 at 04:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RichSilvestris:
JoeJ (08-18-2020), Ltemple (08-18-2020), roegs (08-18-2020), WIC7Diver (08-20-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 04:43 PM
JoeJ
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RichSilvestris
No war stories here, but I did get bloodied. Unit is now rooted and behaving.
I have Bose, and I used the Axxess 2004 XVSI harness. In the end, I had to use the accessory wire coming out of the head unit to the Amp Control wire in the harness.
I used a Beat Sonic CS3EP to provide an input and switch for the front camera.
Many thanks to Ltemple, MetalMan2, GCG and others who helped me through this. Electronics are the devil to me!
Can't wait to go at it with the volume control ****.....

Screen Resized

Rear View Camera

Front View Camera. The line is about 6 inches away from the front bumper

Front Camera Switch
That looks great!
Where did you mount the microphone?
Old 08-18-2020, 06:15 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

JoeJ
I ran the wire under the instrument cluster and up the crevice between the window gasket and the windshield frame.
It doesn't grab my eye as different up against the soft covering on the visor.

Microphone

Last edited by RichSilvestris; 08-18-2020 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JoeJ (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Thanks for sharing your setup, Rich!

I finally got my backup camera working. Turns out the wire used for the Chinese backup camera has a relatively thick jacket and very thin actual wire. The wire taps I used didn't penetrate past the jacket to make contact the wire... It's working great now, though!

And just FYI, all of the first batch of volume/media control units were paid for, and the remained of them shipped today. I've started working on some documentation to ensure successful installations (it's super easy to install, I promise).

Last edited by MetalMan2; 08-19-2020 at 02:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MetalMan2:
ArmchairArchitect (11-17-2020), Ltemple (08-19-2020), rpm462 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:29 AM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Making pretty is easy. Making work not so easy!
I have a few lingering questions about operating the unit.
One: What's the black "paddle" for? It does not fit a micro SD card. Is it for an SIM card, and do I need that to embed a GPS app so I don't need to use the phone?
Two: I loaded a micro SD card into the slot on the front of the unit. The card is empty. Can I load it with photos or songs via USB, (it's physically inaccessible now).
Three: When are the google contacts on my phone at risk? Was that during rooting (factory reset)? When is it safe to pair my phone?
Four: How do I delete, or at least move from the home page, the crazy multi-lingual recording thing?
Old 08-19-2020, 11:36 AM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I have ordered everything to do this except the actual head unit. I will be ordering it soon.

I wish one of you guys was close to me (Memphis,TN area). I would gladly pay good money for someone else to do the install.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 AM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

All these gorgeous photos of the installation finally made me cave. I placed the Joying order last night. One of my concerns has been screen glare and constant finger prints. Have any of you installed a matte screen protector?
The following 4 users liked this post by roegs:
JWingo (08-29-2021), Ltemple (08-19-2020), RichSilvestris (08-19-2020), VetteNoob91 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:44 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RichSilvestris
Making pretty is easy. Making work not so easy!
I have a few lingering questions about operating the unit.
One: What's the black "paddle" for? It does not fit a micro SD card. Is it for an SIM card, and do I need that to embed a GPS app so I don't need to use the phone?
Two: I loaded a micro SD card into the slot on the front of the unit. The card is empty. Can I load it with photos or songs via USB, (it's physically inaccessible now).
Three: When are the google contacts on my phone at risk? Was that during rooting (factory reset)? When is it safe to pair my phone?
Four: How do I delete, or at least move from the home page, the crazy multi-lingual recording thing?
1. The black "paddle" is for a 4g sim card. If you don't want to bother to connect your phone (wirelessly) as wi-fi hot spot every time you use google maps, then you can put in a sim card and always have data. Doesn't work as a phone, just data for maps and play store.

2. There's a micro sd slot? Oh my, I didn't even notice. Look in the file manager and see if it is accessible there.

3. Strangely, I've never had problems with loosing my contacts, but I know others have; so I don't know the answer to that one.

4. Honestly, it's been so long since I did it I don't remember, but I did install nova launcher, which got rid of everything, and enabled me to install custom icons and widgets.

Last edited by Ltemple; 08-19-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:46 AM
philip76
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maybelooking
I have ordered everything to do this except the actual head unit. I will be ordering it soon.

I wish one of you guys was close to me (Memphis,TN area). I would gladly pay good money for someone else to do the install.

i should have been in MEMPHIS in september , but because of the covid i Can't enter the USA :-(.
i had to make a trip between chicago to new orleans , and of course make stop at indianapolis and at bowling green...

maybe next year

Last edited by philip76; 08-20-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Because of the upgrades to the head unit, I’m getting a bit obsessed with trying to modernize some of the other areas of the interior specifically the instrument cluster.

i know we talked about the HVAC unit, but has anyone played around much with some of the app based systems like Realdash or Torque Pro that Interface with an Obd reader?

Other links out of this thread are welcomed
Old 08-20-2020, 11:28 AM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ltemple
1. The black "paddle" is for a 4g sim card. If you don't want to bother to connect your phone (wirelessly) as wi-fi hot spot every time you use google maps, then you can put in a sim card and always have data. Doesn't work as a phone, just data for maps and play store.

2. There's a micro sd slot? Oh my, I didn't even notice. Look in the file manager and see if it is accessible there.

3. Strangely, I've never had problems with loosing my contacts, but I know others have; so I don't know the answer to that one.

4. Honestly, it's been so long since I did it I don't remember, but I did install nova launcher, which got rid of everything, and enabled me to install custom icons and widgets.

Ltemple
Thanks for the info on the SIM card. I am a Verizon subscriber and not very familiar with them. I will have to ask Verizon about using one here. I assume they extract a monthly fee. (Update: Verizon told me they do not support the Joying unit, but it would cost $25 per month.)
The Micro SD card slot is lower left on the front of the chassis, just to the left of the display connection "tape" opening. Joying refers to it as a TF card in the instructions (Notes, p.5).
IIRC you have an iPhone. Android phones allow saving contacts to a Google account, which is what I do. When doing the factory reset on my unit I saw the message about erasing all data from my "phone". So even though I read it as meaning the Joying unit, if I had paired my phone, maybe the factory reset would include the phone. Does anybody have an understanding of that?
I had not paired my phone. In fact I had it shut off and tucked away. I have my contacts sync'ed to my PC, but that is attached to my Google account as well. It was a little troubling.
Nothing happened. So I am asking anyone who knows; when do I get out of the woods on possible losing contacts?
A lot of the benefit from this unit comes from pairing it to a phone.

Last edited by RichSilvestris; 08-26-2020 at 10:10 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (11-11-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the tip on Micro SD slot, Rich! I also missed that... but it's clearly present looking at images you've posted.

Also I just finished up the volume/media control installation instructions. Hopefully this will help you guys out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prdfx6930n...tions.pdf?dl=0

Several were delivered yesterday, and a bunch are out for delivery today. A couple more should be delivered tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:14 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Installation and removing the existing 2 mounts

The photo below shows that the 2 existing mounts must be removed. It sounds like the mounts remove fairly easy with a pliers. In the event that a guy wanted to either go back to OEM or move to a standard double din head unit, what's involved in getting the mounts re-installed?

ArmchairArchitect (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by roegs
The photo below shows that the 2 existing mounts must be removed. It sounds like the mounts remove fairly easy with a pliers. In the event that a guy wanted to either go back to OEM or move to a standard double din head unit, what's involved in getting the mounts re-installed?
Mine were surprisingly a bit difficult to remove... the metal frame behind is a bit flimsy and I didn't want to over-bend/flex it, so I wasn't putting too much strain on breaking off the tabs.
The tabs are basically like rivets on the backside, but once broken off there's no provision to re-add them. You might be able to drill holes in the back of the tab "rivets" and tap for a screw thread or something like that.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Made some great progress on the volume control project this week! Took a bit of effort on the Arduino coding to get it working as I hoped/planned. But my bench testing shows the exact behavior I anticipated. And for fun I 3D printed a control ****. Just need to wire it up now!

For reference, these are the planned actions:
Volume up and down
Mute (or play/pause)
Skip forward and backward

But any of these behaviors can be changed since the user sets them on the Joying head unit.

Nice work with the arduino.

MetalMan2 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Brandon_reid
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine deleted my contacts when I paired it with bluetooth and it asked if it could have access to my contacts. I allowed it, and it deleted them everytime I connected with the head unit. I eventually just went into my bluetooth settings on my phone and turned off the head units access to my contacts. It seemed to stop deleting them at that point. And maybelooking I live about an hour from Memphis I won't be home till next month though.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:13 AM
Ltemple
Advanced

Originally Posted by roegs

Good question. I'd probably put a bolt through the top hole and drill a small hole through the frame and do it that way. It doesn't have to be pretty as no one will see it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ltemple:
ArmchairArchitect (08-21-2020), roegs (08-21-2020), VetteNoob91 (08-21-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 08-23-2020, 04:36 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Just reporting here on use of the MicroSD card slot. I loaded a catalog of music on a USB stick and the same catalog on a MicroSD. I then played each on the Joying.
The MicroSD card storage shows in file manager and can be selected. We use an SD card in our Audi; it plays awesome and the album art is retained. With the Joying, there is very little difference, if any, between quality or screen identification between the USB and SD routes. I don't know yet if files can be loaded onto the SD card while it is in place. If not, it's inaccessible and pretty useless with the display locked behind the bezel.
I'm using Windows Media Player to rip and sync CD's to the USB. Album art is not retained, and any CD that is the "best of" may only show as "best of". Has anyone been able to retain album art, etc.?
Old 08-26-2020, 12:04 PM
JoeJ
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

How long does it take to receive the HU from China?
Old 08-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeJ
How long does it take to receive the HU from China?
I had mine within 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)