Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should our Bi-X ACA headlights be offered with a Bi-LED projector?
Yes, Bi-LED technology is worth the cost
45.65%
No. Bi-Xenon is plenty bright for me
6.52%
Make Bi-LED an upgrade optional upgrade
45.65%
I have no idea what this thread is about.
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Gauging Interest: Bi-xenon to Bi-LED ACA headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Gauging Interest: Bi-xenon to Bi-LED ACA headlights?

Our Bi-xenon ACA headlights have been the top-shelf headlight system for the C5 since their introduction in early 2012, however LED projector technology has progressed to the point where it has now surpassed HID in the following respects:

- Longer "bulb" life
- Instant startup
- Lower current draw
- Consistent focal point
- Overall brightness and further "throw" (The Bi-LED projectors we're considering produce about 20% more effective output than the HID projector system we're currently using. This includes the central hot-spot, width and high beam performance)

The biggest single drawback (as with any new technology) is comparative cost. Our best guess is that going to LED projectors would increase the cost of our kits by $200 (total cost would be $850 retail). We would also need to re-engineer the mounting system to accommodate the new projectors to any decision to proceed would take about a month or so to implement.

For those of you not familiar, these are the ACA headlights:
https://sharplightinnovations.com/sh...aca-headlights

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 02-10-2020 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

I would like to be able to send my current ACA standard model in for a LED upgrade, that would probably be worth it if under $200.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I would like to be able to send my current ACA standard model in for a LED upgrade, that would probably be worth it if under $200.
We currently offer a "DIY" bi-xenon upgrade for Standard ACA models. Provided they are genuine ACA (denoted by lettering on the lens) this kit allows the user to replace the projector assembly and high beam.
The Bi-xenon DIY Kit is currently $250. (this includes projector assemblies, all required hardware, Hi-4 harness and high-output LED high beam bulbs)
https://sharplightinnovations.com/sh...t-modification

If we move forward with the Bi-LED projector, I will offer a DIY kit as well, however the price will be more expensive than the HID projector version.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:01 PM
mnotx
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the original ACA headlights and was considering the bi-xenon upgrade, but I will wait to see about the LED version. I would rather upgrade to LED.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Really appreciate our Bi-Xenon for night driving, but a Bi-LED upgrade would be a real consideration.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:45 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I bought your bi-xenon kit because you said the bi-LED kit would be far away, due to sealing issues. If you've resolved those, I may well spring for the LED upgrade.

That said, $650 isn't super cheap, and $850-900 is also not super cheap. I think you would do best offering a lower-cost option ($650) rather than only selling the higher-cost option.

Out of curiosity, what causes the cost to increase so much? I would have hoped that getting rid of HID ballasts reduces cost.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by gimp
I bought your bi-xenon kit because you said the bi-LED kit would be far away, due to sealing issues. If you've resolved those, I may well spring for the LED upgrade.

That said, $650 isn't super cheap, and $850-900 is also not super cheap. I think you would do best offering a lower-cost option ($650) rather than only selling the higher-cost option.

Out of curiosity, what causes the cost to increase so much? I would have hoped that getting rid of HID ballasts reduces cost.
Sealing issues have not been resolved yet (we're waiting on technical drawings of a newly designed projector)

LED technology is more expensive for a couple of reasons:
1) It's newer than HID and anything "new" is automatically more expensive. HID bulbs are pretty much standardized in production with minor differences in bulb base, and ballasts. Companies have had an opportunity to recover startup costs on the machines and tools that create those parts. LED projectors on the other hand are so new in the aftermarket world that there is no "standard" set yet. Machines and tools are new and companies are fighting for market share by trying to balance cost with quality. There are cheaper quality Bi-LED projectors, but their optical performance is comparable to halogen projectors.

2) LED projectors require more tooling than HID projectors. Not only do LED projectors require LED drivers to power the LEDs (which are comparable to HID ballasts), but often they require cooling fans, custom PCBs and high quality precision reflector optics to compete with HID projectors.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

George, I installed your non-bi-xenon HID's on my 98 back in October 2013, and passed on the bi-xenon upgrade you offered a few years later.

Will your upgrade kit be compatible with my set up?

Last edited by MAC5; 02-11-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MAC5
George, I installed your non-bi-xenon HID's on my 98 back in November 2013, I passed on the bi-xenon upgrade years back.

Will your upgrade kit be compatible with my set up?

The plan is to make any upgrade kit compatible with either the Standard ACA or the Bi-xenon ACA kit.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:50 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 08:50 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what's the difference between an hid and led projector?... would swapping bulbs yield any noticeable differences (good or bad) or are the optics actually different?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 AM
tcfamy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the idea of Bi-LED option for the package. I also have been using your Bi-xenon's for two years and the only improvement to suggest is moding the high beam to a stronger "pencil" beam for additional down the road illumination. Would two dedicated hi and lo projectors be cost effective vs the bi-beams?
Tom
Old 02-12-2020, 01:07 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I'll be honest with you as I've been eyeing these lights of yours for along time. Cost...cost is what's keeping me from pulling the trigger. $650 is a lot to me to spend on headlights, especially since I don't do a lot of night driving. So, personally, I definitely would not want to spend an additional $200 for a 20% brighter light.
P.S. I thank you for providing an upgraded headlight for our C5s
Kiddbats (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 01:13 PM
ApexZ
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

i still have my original 2004 lights so I would be interested, particularly if there is substantial weight savings over the stock units. That helps justify the price for me as a mostly track day car.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by neutron82
what's the difference between an hid and led projector?... would swapping bulbs yield any noticeable differences (good or bad) or are the optics actually different?
There are minor differences in the optics to create a slightly different pattern. An HID projector bowl is relatively simple and focuses light from a single point into the pattern. An LED projector typically uses multiple smaller LEDs or one larger LED so the optics have to be slightly different. Nevertheless, the LED Projectors we use typically have a more concentrated central hot-spot resulting in longer-throw than an HID projector despite having similar lumen output.

Here's a comparison we did between the MH1 HID projector and the Bi-LED projector we now use in our Fixed Headlight system.

HID projector

LED projector

Simply swapping in an LED bulb into a Projector doesn't work because an LED bulb does not have a central "point" of light like an HID bulb. As a result, the pattern from the projector is not properly focused and substantial throw is lost. LED bulbs are acceptable in high beam reflectors where a flood-light pattern may be preferred to a spot-beam, but in the low beam (particularly a projector) the bulb must be designed for the housing.

Originally Posted by tcfamy
I like the idea of Bi-LED option for the package. I also have been using your Bi-xenon's for two years and the only improvement to suggest is moding the high beam to a stronger "pencil" beam for additional down the road illumination. Would two dedicated hi and lo projectors be cost effective vs the bi-beams?
Tom
I strongly agree however the challenge here is clearance. The lifting arm does not allow for a projector to be used in the high beam location and retrofitting anything with a pencil beam requires a tremendous amount of time and effort to make it look good, correctly aimed and sealed. In the end, I made only one prototype with a multi-optic high beam projector that provided only slightly better performance than the high output LED bulbs in the reflector housing. It took nearly 8 hours of work and I was not able to get it cosmetically perfect.

If Pure performance is the goal, our Stealth Light Cannon V3 (fixed headlights) use a Bi-LED main projector and a Dedicated narrow-beam LED high projector that provide a clear visibility of 1000 ft. (We're testing this combination as a replacement system for C6 headlights)
tcfamy (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:07 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ApexZ
i still have my original 2004 lights so I would be interested, particularly if there is substantial weight savings over the stock units. That helps justify the price for me as a mostly track day car.
The Bi-xenon (or Bi-LED) ACA headlights are heavier than stock, but the Stealth Light Cannon V3 Fixed headlight system is just 12 Pounds. (A bit more expensive, but about half the weight of the factory system and all in the nose)

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging Interest: Bi-xenon to Bi-LED ACA headlights?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 AM
MAC5
Drifting

George, I couldn't find the High beam LED's that would fit into my non-bi-xenon ACA HID's on your website. How much would these bulbs run?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MAC5
George, I couldn't find the High beam LED's that would fit into my non-bi-xenon ACA HID's on your website. How much would these bulbs run?
I don't recommend our LED bulbs for use with Non-Bi-xenon systems. They do not have the same output as a halogen bulb and we couldn't get any brighter bulbs due to clearance issues with the lifting arm.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I don't recommend our LED bulbs for use with Non-Bi-xenon systems. They do not have the same output as a halogen bulb and we couldn't get any brighter bulbs due to clearance issues with the lifting arm.
Thanks will stay with what's been in there.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Bi-xenon to Bi-LED ACA headlights?