Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Roodman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tires

I am going to need new tires soon the EMT runflat goodyears are discontinued. Tire rack suggest either the michelin A/s3 or the continental extreme contact sport. All im looking for is best dry traction. I dont drive it in the rain and or snow. Also do you think they will make a michelin 4S in my stock C5 coupe sizes in the future?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Roodman
I am going to need new tires soon the EMT runflat goodyears are discontinued. Tire rack suggest either the michelin A/s3 or the continental extreme contact sport. All im looking for is best dry traction. I dont drive it in the rain and or snow. Also do you think they will make a michelin 4S in my stock C5 coupe sizes in the future?
Michelin would be my choice, as far as the 4s.. I doubt it since the specific C5 fitment is 22 years old
Bill
The following users liked this post:
USAZR1 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM
scorpiofox69
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 146 Posts

MIchelins are tops. However, best bang for the buck on stock sizes-Contis are very popular.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

For overall dry weather traction, the Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival S 1.5, and Yokohama 052 tires are heads and shoulders better than any thing else. For all around street tire, then the Michelin and Continentals are excellent. Also there are a variety of less expensive tires that are very good. I don't know who you talked with at Tirerack but you should talk to Luke Pavelich at extension 4362. Extremely knowledgeable on Corvettes.
CorvetteBrent (08-22-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Michelin would be my choice, as far as the 4s.. I doubt it since the specific C5 fitment is 22 years old
Bill
This brings up an interesting question. As we all know, there isn't a practical place to stow a spare tire in a C-5, so for those of us who prefer the security of a run-flat tire, since the C-5s were so equipped, what will we do for tires, in the future?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM
jamesbii
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought new tires two weeks ago. I went with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s and am impressed so far. Traction is really good on cornering for both wet and dry. Road noise was dramatically reduced from the OEM run flats. I can actually hear my wife yelling at me to slow down now. I liked the price...I think it was around $600 for all four tires...5something and change. They've got good reviews on TireRack and Tires.com. They are summer only and have a 50k milage rating. Like I was told...do your research first.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 AM
brownrd
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I will second the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. I have a set and have been very impressed with dry traction. Even did a HPDE track day on them and they did surprisingly well. Great tire for the price!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Roodman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see the firehawk 500 on tirerack but not the rivel or yokohoma, and is there a way to put wider tires on the back
Old 08-21-2019, 03:53 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Conti's are quite an excellent tire summer tire... only a step behind the Michelin's PSS in dry weather. Unfortunately Michelin doesn't make a summer only tire for our stock sizes... The Bridgestone, BFG Rivel and Yokohoma don't come in the stock sizes so you may have to go up in width a little to find them.

You can usually up size to the next width on rims so the 275 tire could be changed to 285 and fit on the rim without a problem. Or you could get different rims that fit wider tires and have more choices for tires.

Last edited by moncal90; 08-21-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Roodman
i see the firehawk 500 on tirerack but not the rivel or yokohoma, and is there a way to put wider tires on the back
c5Z06 rims will give you wider everything but the choices are still limited. If you want to go much wider on the rear, switch to c6 size rims.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
This brings up an interesting question. As we all know, there isn't a practical place to stow a spare tire in a C-5, so for those of us who prefer the security of a run-flat tire, since the C-5s were so equipped, what will we do for tires, in the future?
Both my C5Z and my Challenger had non runflats and no spare, standard to the car. Both came with inflation kits. First thing I bought the day after I got my coupe was new non runflats and a Slime inflation kit. (does not affect TPM's)

Last edited by chasboy; 08-22-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 PM
ColoradoBulldog
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had Nitto nt05s put on the back. They're great so far. 30k mile warranty from discount tire
Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Michelin still makes a run flat for our sizes. It’s a high performance all season though. Not a max performance summer tire unfortunately.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moncal90
Michelin still makes a run flat for our sizes. It’s a high performance all season though. Not a max performance summer tire unfortunately.
That's true, but I'm thinking about what lies ahead, down the road in another few years. I fall into the 2000 miles per year crowd, and at least on my 'Vette, I "age them out" before I wear them out. I hate to think that I won't be able to purchase "run flats" for the car, in another 3-4 years.

And yeah, I know, all of you brave souls will proclaim how easy it is, to fix a flat, while on the side of the road. NO THANKS!! I've mounted/dismounted HUNDREDS of tires, during my life, both street tires, on a regular tire machine, and race tires, by hand, at the track. I'm too freaking old, to be doing that kind of work, on the side of the road. Installing a spare, to replace a blown tire, no problem, but attempting to fix a blown tire, no thanks!

Last edited by leadfoot4; 08-22-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm with chasboy. I couldn't get those damn run flats off fast enough!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ramets
I'm with chasboy. I couldn't get those damn run flats off fast enough!!!!!!!
Thanks. I relate my experience with my other 2 cars earlier because if the manufacturer has confidence to provide an inflator/flat fix kit, it’s good enough for me. I never let tires get old anyway, but one can get a flat at anytime.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Look into non run flats by cooper rs3s Zeons. Great price and very good tires. Hold the road very good, jmo

Get notified of new replies

To tires

Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

And yeah, I know, all of you brave souls will proclaim how easy it is, to fix a flat, while on the side of the road. NO THANKS!! I've mounted/dismounted HUNDREDS of tires, during my life, both street tires, on a regular tire machine, and race tires, by hand, at the track. I'm too freaking old, to be doing that kind of work, on the side of the road. Installing a spare, to replace a blown tire, no problem, but attempting to fix a blown tire, no thanks![/QUOTE]

You raise a legitimate concern. Over the years, I have had a few blowouts where the damage prevented it from holding air even with Slime or any other gunk injected into it. There is only one solution for true peace of mind. On trips longer than a few hundred miles, I carry a full-size spare from a 2004 - 2006 Pontiac GTO. To fit it onto the Corvette's hub/lugs, I had to gently use a rat tail metal file to grind a very small amount out of the GTO spare wheel's 5 lug/bolt holes. Some other folks have, instead, had to gently file out the main hub hole. Sure, the full-size spare hogs some trunk space, so on local drives, I don't carry the spare, figuring a relative can retrieve my spare for me. I took my GTO spare along on a 4400 mile trip through 9 states. The security of knowing I had a real spare if I had a blown tire out in the middle of nowhere was priceless! I advise trying to buy a GTO spare sooner rather than later, because they seem to be getting scarcer.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
……..You raise a legitimate concern. Over the years, I have had a few blowouts where the damage prevented it from holding air even with Slime or any other gunk injected into it. There is only one solution for true peace of mind.
Thank you!!

Just like you mention, although it's been a number of years since I've had a flat tire, the last two I had, were caused by road debris that sliced the sidewall of the tire. In both cases, the car in front of me hit the piece of crap, and kicked it into my way. I swerved, both times, to avoid it, and did....with the front tire, only to catch it with the rear tire, as the car didn't "pivot" soon enough, to swing the rear tire around the debris. Both times, the right rear tire had a gaping slice across the sidewall....
Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I used Michelin Super Sports, but as stated by others they are discontinued in stock sizes. I am eyeing the new Yokohama ADVAN Apex 601 that is available in stock size. It's either them or the Conti's going forward for a Max Performance Summer tire. I await reviews of the Yokos before I decide.

Quick Reply: tires