Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to save and retrieve 1998 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:03 PM
silver50
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

My apologies for this going pretty quiet by way of updates but a good milestone today. Finally off jack stands and out. Yes, driven her for the first time (by me) in 15 years!

Just to update first on what I have done, I replaced the water pump a few months back. There was a weep I suspected being from it. To be honest it'd have been easily repaired. It was the o-ring type seal for the impellor cover that had been leaking, not either of the gaskets for the water channels.

When we removed the passenger fuel pump to drain the old bad fuel, the black semi solid hose on this had gone brittle and smashed to pieces. I'll have mentioned above repairing it with some fuel hose I had to hand. However I was conscious it probably wasn't submersible hose. Rather than take it out again to fit submersible hoses (which arguably I should've done) a new AC Delco pump/sender arrived last week. Indeed my fuel hose had started to fail (see pic) so it was sensible not to run the car incase some gloop or (as was the case) a chunk of hose blocked a fuel line.

Today then, I put some more premium fuel in, filled with Dexcool (I still hadn't filled it after fitting new water pump months ago) and popped the new battery back in. I was concerned the car might still be slow to turn over on the starter, you will see this was the case on my video above. As well as all the earth points I've cleaned and made good I fitted a new engine earth strap and cleaned all the connections at the starter motor. Very tricky with poor access! Delighted she span over fast and fired instantly!

I'll say first that I'm extremely happy the car ran and drove great. Brought back my memories of it, that being the fun that it is! It felt quick too for sure!! I couldn't go far because I'm far from legal yet but far enough to bed in the new brakes and give it some lead foot! An annoyance is traction/ABS warnings. That'll be next to investigate. I'll need to get on to code reading which is something I haven't done at all yet. My CEL light didn't come on today until I restarted the car a second time. Weird. Suggests something minor though.

Generally I'm pleased most things are working fine and the car drove good. For some reason one headlamp is still grinding even after new (plastic..) gears, one headlamp wasn't working today that was before (probably just low beam bulb), AC isn't working of course. I'm not sure if my cooling fans are running at low speed, they only seem to come on at 210-220c. Obviously there will be things to check and take care of but over all good news!

Thanks to everyone for their interest in my journey with the car.

Rubber O ring obviously failing causing leak

Starter motor cable you can see green corrosion. That was it cleaned up a little!

Cleaned up properly!

Finally down from sitting on 4 jack stands!

And out!!

Last edited by silver50; 08-02-2020 at 12:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by silver50:
corvette.cw (08-02-2020), realvc (08-02-2020), Robrote (08-02-2020), TCFS (08-03-2020), TommyLee93 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:09 PM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks for the update!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:15 PM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

Nice work! Does the car still garner huge attention on that side of the pond? I was stationed in Germany when the C5 was debuted and Europeans were head over heels for it....as was I obviously.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

FANTASTIC!!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:23 PM
silver50
Racer

THANKS FOLKS

Originally Posted by CinciZ06
Nice work! Does the car still garner huge attention on that side of the pond? I was stationed in Germany when the C5 was debuted and Europeans were head over heels for it....as was I obviously.
I couldn’t say yet! Today I was paying more attention to how the car was doing!!

It does seem likely that they’ll indeed garner quite a bit of attention. Someone else mentioned them being seen as a bit of an exotic.

Last edited by silver50; 08-02-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:04 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to see the progress, congrats. all 'round on your vette journey.

Vince
Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Glad to see it finally getting to the point of moving again. Now you can enjoy it a little while still working on it. Congrats on the progress and thanks for the update.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:12 PM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great. Looks like you did the impossible according to some of the early posts, LOL. Now it is time to get those miles and smiles.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 PM
silver50
Racer

Thanks. Need to sort one or two things first to get the car through our UK MoT test. Then I still have to register it so much use of it may be a bit away. Kinda seriously risky to drive just now. I think the UK Govt vehicle sector might be slow just now as far as registration of vehicles due to our friend corona.

My CEL seems to be fuel tank pressure according to the code thrown. Hopefully not too tough a call. Unfortunately ABS/traction is throwing warnings and a code too which might mean the ebcm by the looks of it. I suspect I may well be asking for some advice on the Tech section.

Last edited by silver50; 08-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 PM
petersm
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi
I am glad your project came together. Your dedication to the car is wonderful. It just goes to prove "YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU TRY". It is great you tried and won with your C5. CONGRATS

Old 08-04-2020, 06:07 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 PM
silver50
Racer

Thanks. You’ve gotta try, and try to keep at it!

Check out my front right side ground splice pack (left was surprisingly fairly good)

Bearing in mind my car sat in essentially a hot dry climate for many years the corrosion is quite surprising. I was aware of cleaning the ground to chassis contact points but had overlooked the inside connections in the splice packs. I did this today. Definitely worth checking on any C5.

Before

Female pins. Harder to clean up without taking each out but I made a pin to push in and out each contact numerous times and used a LOT of contact cleaner. I forgot to take an AFTER picture.

After cleaning.

Last edited by silver50; 08-04-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Keep chasing those gremlins!
Good work, and wishing you success.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:40 PM
silver50
Racer

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Keep chasing those gremlins!
Good work, and wishing you success.
Gonna try! Pulled LH wheelhouse cover today to access the fuel filler area of the LH tank to get to the “fuel tank pressure sensor” due to fault code and CEL.

Turns out harness to the connector chewed through! This foot long part of harness runs through box section of the frame to just behind the fuel filler. Not easy for access at all but I’ve managed to pull down the relevant section of harness and have found the chewed part. Need to solder in a section of wiring.

In thinking about this thank goodness the 3 wires were severed because you can’t see where they’re routed. I’d have been wondering where the fault lay otherwise.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:21 PM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice find on those last mice and corrosion problems. If you find 2 more gremlins you will be promoted to Major Gremlin Finder.
The following users liked this post:
laurent_zo6 (08-08-2020)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:23 PM
silver50
Racer

I should have posted back again long ago. My apologies for not keeping this thread a bit more lively.

Big thanks to all CF members and tech helpers. Great community and I couldn’t have revived the car without the info on CF and from helpers.

It’s not easy to report that I’ve sold the car but I didn’t want the thread to not have any conclusion. I live in the centre of Edinburgh with increasing traffic congestion measures, 20 mph speed limits, road narrowing measures etc etc. I do a lot of city driving and the ‘vette just didn’t feel right for it. I didn’t see myself getting lots of use from it. For the same reason I’ve also sold my year 2000 R129 Mercedes SL. A car I’ve owned for 11 years. At the moment it feels good to have cleared my feet and have the garages tidied up. I suspect another project won’t be far away. On that note, I’d say I prefer the challenge of a project over the actual driving. But it would be good to have a fun car that I really want to take out and use. We’ll see.

So the C5 was completely made good. No warning lights, everything working and the interior upholstery was all tidied up with new covers. The Ridies type I think. Came from India but I was able to get the logo’s etc. Fun job to fit well!

It drove really well, the engine and running seemed perfect as did the auto trans. There were things to iron out like I discovered a buckled wheel and I thought I needed a new EBCM but (gladly) didn’t. Mostly minor items for example getting the heat blend doors swapped, and I fitted a new radiator and condenser shortly before selling. Mainly the condenser needed so as to get the AC working.

What still needed done was to get the paintwork sorted out. Some of it was sun scorched from sitting in Spain.

Here’s a few pictures from shortly before she went.

It was a great journey from start to finish having retrieved the car from the south of Spain. It’s sure been around. Connecticut-UK arrival-Scotland-taken to southern Spain-back to Scotland and finally registered for use in the UK

The following 2 users liked this post by silver50:
mstromquist (05-27-2021), realvc (05-30-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:29 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

It's a shame things didn't work out. Hopefully it has gone to someone who can and will enjoy it.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:36 PM
silver50
Racer

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
It's a shame things didn't work out. Hopefully it has gone to someone who can and will enjoy it.
I understand what you mean but I’m thinking of it as it did work out, in that I achieved retrieving and reviving the car and enjoyed it. As you say, I hope someone else will go on to be pleased with it and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
MWWarlord (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:40 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Originally Posted by silver50
I understand what you mean but I’m thinking of it as it did work out, in that I achieved retrieving and reviving the car and enjoyed it. As you say, I hope someone else will go on to be pleased with it and enjoy it.
Indeed! You did do a good job in reviving the car. I meant it's a shame you weren't able to enjoy driving it in your area. Thanks for getting a good car back on the road
The following 3 users liked this post by MWWarlord:
laurent_zo6 (05-28-2021), realvc (05-30-2021), silver50 (05-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Help to save and retrieve 1998 C5