Sponsored by:

Help to save and retrieve 1998 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 PM
silver50
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Why? It has not been run and sat outside for almost 10 years. It would be the last C5 I would try to restore. It will probably never be reliable. If there are rodents where it is, you will probably have to remove the interior and power wash it to get the stink out. If it wasn't fresh oil in the engine it very easily could have turned to sludge by now. I did resurrect a 66 Mustang that had been sitting outside for several years. Pretty much everything, including weatherstripping, interior, radiator, power steering, brakes, gas tank, engine, trans etc etc. Just so you know what you might be getting into. Don't expect to put a battery in it, air up the tires and drive it away.

The point is, it could easily not be too bad. You are making huge assumptions based on very little information. I am a car and bike guy, I know there will be downsides and pitfalls,

Be positive!
The following 3 users liked this post by silver50:
digitaloutsider (08-17-2019), heggsc5 (12-06-2019), Robrote (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:07 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by silver50
The point is, it could easily not be too bad. You are making huge assumptions based on very little information. I am a car and bike guy, I know there will be downsides and pitfalls,

Be positive!
Sure, it might be in great shape, but my assumptions are based on common sense and experience and more than likely it will become a money pit. If it has sentimental value and you are willing to pay the price then check it out. But figure out how much you are willing to spend in time and money before you take it on. You wanted opinions. I just gave you mine.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM
silver50
Racer

I’m not thinking it will be in great shape but it being beyond worthwhile repair is a far leap to assume. If you read back I wasn’t seeking opinions, just support and help with the task.

I suspect that realistically the trickier part of this might be getting the car steering and rolling for transportation. If I can get it home I can take my time working through issues. There’s not going to be any major rush to chuck money at things needing attention.

Last edited by silver50; 08-16-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 PM
tomikem
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

First things first..... buy a Haynes service manual off the internet..... $35USD
Old 08-16-2019, 03:44 PM
silver50
Racer

I noticed this week there were Haynes manuals for it. Are they quite well regarded? I remember in the past some weren’t all that good. Nowadays with forums like this and YouTube etc there’s a lot more info out there anyway on various topics.

i can get one easily enough from here. Think I saw it on uk eBay

Last edited by silver50; 08-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:11 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I’m not thinking it will be in great shape but it being beyond worthwhile repair is a far leap to assume. If you read back I wasn’t seeking opinions, just support and help with the task.

I suspect that realistically the trickier part of this might be getting the car steering and rolling for transportation. If I can get it home I can take my time working through issues. There’s not going to be any major rush to chuck money at things needing attention.
I was just giving you an honest opinion. If you just want some cheerleaders I will unsubscribe from the thread. As a hobby it could be fun. You just have to figure out how much time and effort you are willing to put into it, so it does not become a nightmare.

Last edited by JR-01; 08-16-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:21 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

First off...Welcome to the forum! You will get a lot of help here. This will be an interesting project for us to follow.
You should be excited about inheriting this car especially since you know it’s past history.
Two years ago I helped my friend resurrect his 1974 Ford Bronco that sat for over 10 years in his barn under piles of dirt and hay. The engine had blown and he just parked it. He didn’t drain the gas or remove the battery. We rebuilt the engine and drained the old gas. The fuel lines were okay. It fired right up and runs fine. We still have to replace the wiring harness because mice had their way with it in the barn. Keep a positive attitude and let’s see what happens.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:32 PM
silver50
Racer

Thanks, really is good to know help at hand. Do appreciate it.

With our time difference it’s getting near check out time for me.

If anyone can advise a bit further on the steering column If I find it’s locked out and just need to get the car on a transporter that’d be good.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Changs the darn fluids, get a new battery and give it a shot. If you can dump the current gas that should be done as well....can you take more detailed pics?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have a '98 also and I love it. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it. The steering lock issue may have been dealt with as there was a recall on it quite a while back. If it has been done then the locking ring would have been cut off so the wheel can't lock any more. If that's the case then you should be able to turn the wheel without even turning the key on or starting the engine. You'll be able to just sit in the seat and give it a shot to see if it turns or not. You'll be able to get it onto a trailer easier as you well know. If it is locked then you'll need to put a good battery in it and see if it unlocks when you turn the key on. If it doesn't turn after that then I'd probably pull the steering wheel and cut the locking ring off myself or figure out a way to keep the locking pin from extending or cut it off also. Super glue might hold it in until you get it to your garage to work on if the wheel is locked. I've done that with other cars I've had that had an issue with the steering lock.

I wish you all the best with a great car and I'm sure you'll make it a great runner again. If it was me that inherited a C5, I'd do everything I could to make it drive and look as good as it can again too. You're not going to have a lot of investment into it right away so give it a shot and see what happens. Best of luck to ya, hope it works out to be a great car.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 PM
silver50
Racer

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I have a '98 also and I love it. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it. The steering lock issue may have been dealt with as there was a recall on it quite a while back. If it has been done then the locking ring would have been cut off so the wheel can't lock any more. If that's the case then you should be able to turn the wheel without even turning the key on or starting the engine. You'll be able to just sit in the seat and give it a shot to see if it turns or not. You'll be able to get it onto a trailer easier as you well know. If it is locked then you'll need to put a good battery in it and see if it unlocks when you turn the key on. If it doesn't turn after that then I'd probably pull the steering wheel and cut the locking ring off myself or figure out a way to keep the locking pin from extending or cut it off also. Super glue might hold it in until you get it to your garage to work on if the wheel is locked. I've done that with other cars I've had that had an issue with the steering lock.

I wish you all the best with a great car and I'm sure you'll make it a great runner again. If it was me that inherited a C5, I'd do everything I could to make it drive and look as good as it can again too. You're not going to have a lot of investment into it right away so give it a shot and see what happens. Best of luck to ya, hope it works out to be a great car.
Cheers, thanks for that.

I’ll hopefully get a better idea on general current condition in s few weeks when my father and cousins husband are out there in Spain. I’ll ask for some pictures too. It’s a shame I’m struggling to go then but at the exact time they go (to see a lawyer there) I’m busy here.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

If anyone remembers his user name I could give him a shout, thanks. I feel it could be useful to have a knowledgeable UK or English speaking contact.
———-
His user name is DeeGee (Dave Gledhill).

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 08-16-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,373 Likes on 14,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Phanni
I think he went by the Name of DC.
The forum member's user name was DeeGee. You could search for his profile and try sending him a PM or e-mail.

Best of luck with your restoration project.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Start by thinking positive. There will always be naysayers. Some good advice above. You have come to the right forum. Quite a few knowledgeable forum members who are always ready to help.

For the column lock you can install an LMC5 module. http://www.complianceparts.com

I see on the Classic Corvette Club UK website the contact for Scotland is: Robert McMurray - 07949 568102 / scotlandregion@corvetteclub.org.uk He might be of some help
https://www.corvetteclub.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Corvette...=page_internal

I would first start by reading the stickies at the top of this page:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fo-thread.html

Good luck with your project. Don't be a stranger.
The following users liked this post:
silver50 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

LOL. Thinking positive isn't going to change the fact the car has sat idle outside for the last 8 years. It is what it is. Don't expect too much is better advice.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

The naysayers can start with this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599983698

Get notified of new replies

To Help to save and retrieve 1998 C5

Old 08-17-2019, 02:33 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Robrote
The naysayers can start with this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599983698
Doesn't really apply to this situation since no one knows what condition this car is in. All he knows is it has sat outside for 8 years in Spain. It honestly may not be worth throwing a bunch of money at. Now if it was a C1 or C2...........or even a Z06, different story.. Isn't is better to be honest with the guy instead of giving him false hope.

So how much money should he spend on this $4000 car?

Last edited by JR-01; 08-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:32 PM
silver50
Racer

Wow, amazing helpful info and input thanks v much.

Ive messaged Dave @DeeGee just a short while ago. Thanks for that pointer too.

@Robrote I’ll enjoy reading through that thread this evening.

@JR-01 There’s no point in my considering going to the effort of retrieving this car at all if I’m not going to approach it positively and hope for the best. You said it yourself, actual condition is an unknown quantity at the moment so what’s the point in downing it? It would be different if I was talking about buying it blind but if it can be resurrected at fair or reasonable cost, that’s all it’s going to cost me. If this works out I’d like to keep it but at the moment I think the car is worth a minimum of £10,000 GBP here in the UK if in good order ($12,000). I can therefore spend quite a bit without worrying. I can also get paintwork done at an amazing price through someone I know.

I’ll hopefully get a slightly better picture of condition in a few weeks when my father goes out to Spain.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Mark's didn't run for 10 years.

Quick Reply: Help to save and retrieve 1998 C5