Sponsored by:

z06 vs targa top coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Evan97
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default z06 vs targa top coupe

I am looking to buy my first Corvette. Can't decide on whether I should be looking at a z06 or Targa Coupe(manual only). My plans for the car are for it to be mostly(90%) a street car, but I would really love to take it to a track(road course not drag strip). Now in all honesty, the amount of track time this car would see would be quite seldom and I wouldn't beat on the car. I am not looking to set fast lap times, just to enjoy the performance a C5 has to offer. It would see a roadcourse MAYBE 2-3 times a year? The Z06 has the added performance out of the box, but I love the look of the coupe styling and one of my favorite features of the Corvette is the removable Targa Top roof.

The car would be a toy not a daily driver so I'm really mostly thinking along the lines of performance here. These cars are older and there is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there. I have a limited budget but would modify the car over time. How much would it cost to modify a C5 Coupe to match or exceed the handling, braking, and power capabilities of the Z06? Would it make more sense to just spring for the Z06 or is it cheaper to mod a coupe with the availability of aftermarket parts?

And as far as durability goes, what is the difference between the z06 and coupe drivetrain/powertrain? Is the LS6 a more stout engine for modding or is it merely a head/cam/intake upgrade to the LS1? I've read of the valve spring issues, are the LS1 and LS6 both affected? I know the z06 has a shorter ratio gearbox, but is everything else in the drivetrain the same, or did they beef some parts up for track use?

I know some of these topics have been discussed before, but I really want to make sure I make the right decision for buying my first Corvette. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

The Z06 will give you a better starting point. But if you absolutely love a targa top on a Vette, I wouldn't even consider a Z.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Tens upon tens of threads have asked this same thing. Many of those threads devolved into many pages of opinions and total crap.

If you search you’d find a book-worth of material to read.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Sean_emory
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts

To me the targa make the car seem more aged. I vote hard top. I have a coupe and while I love it I would have gone with the FRC I was debating if I could go back in time. I’m not getting as much enjoyment out of the little open air driving as I imagined.

Last edited by Sean_emory; 07-01-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:15 PM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

Go with your gut. Either car will put a grin on your face, but when you picture exactly what you want your toy to be it will tell you the answer. I am a Z06 guy, but to each their own and you should get the car you want not what someone tells ya is the best for you.

Having said that.....don't be an ol' b!tch about stuff and get the Z!!! haha. <----- that's humor (you have to remind people of that here sometimes). I picked my Z06 up in February in Downer's Grove - you missed a helluva deal right in your back yard!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum - it is an encyclopedia of information and great advice. It's my second go around on here, and it's truly worth the time you spend perusing the forums to get the best information out there.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Tens upon tens of threads have asked this same thing. Many of those threads devolved into many pages of opinions and total crap.

If you search you’d find a book-worth of material to read.

just buy what you want most, the modding thing can be done to whatever level you want with either car......

really just just buy what you think looks best
Old 07-01-2019, 10:11 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Why not both?
The following users liked this post:
jrob56 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:47 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Personally, I wouln't consider a Z06 unless it was going to spend a fair amount of time at the track. If Its going to be spending most of its time driving for pleasure...then (to me, at least), an open air option is mandatory.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:31 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Had a coupe back when they were new and tried to mod to a Z06. Ended up just buying a new Z06. That was then. Now I have a coupe with Z06 suspension and I am happy. Just looking to tick off the miles, no racing.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,364 Likes on 14,014 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like you would be happier with the coupe based on what you posted. I had three coupes and really liked not only the targa capability, but the extra room offered in the hatch area.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I love the brashness of the Z06. I suppose you could do mods to a targa...but I love my Z.
CalF (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 AM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I would estimate that it would cost near $2500 just in parts to match the drivetrain/trans and thats not counting labor. The LS6 block came out in 2001 and this BLOCK was used on all 2001 and up models. The difference were that the Z06 got the better flowing and higher compression 243 heads, exhaust, cam, springs and PCV system. The 2002 Z06 got the lightweight intake valves, and sodium filled exhaust valves. Yes, they did beef up the diff for the Z06 where the ring and pinion gears are essentially much much stronger. The trans has shorter gearing as you mentioned.

In my opinion:

Z06 Pros: Stronger diff, more power, better looking wheels, better suspension, better chassis (yes it does have an additional beam behind the seats), lighter, and more powerful.
Cons: Less aerodynamic (this came from GM aero engineers) do to the rear glass design, and open intake ducts. Manual (not relevant, I understand),

Coupe Pros: The hatch is more aerodynamic, the intake vents not being open in the front makes it more aerodynamic (but limits power: easily fixed on BOTH cars by a proper Vararam intake), removable roof, generally cheaper, and auto (my preference)
Cons: Less stiff chassis (partially fixed by stiffer tunnel plate)

Which ever you get, the 2002+ models were a little different. For example, in 2001 the new block had revised cylinder liners, coolant steam vents, and the better LS6 intake. By 2002 it was documented that most cars by then had ALL metal end-links where as some before this has ALL plastic end-links, and some half-and-half (rear plastic, front metal) etc. The 02 Z06 was 405hp vs the 01 385hp, etc.

Last edited by 02torchred; 07-03-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Brunello
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 192 Posts

I love my coupe. ZO6 is what you get if you want all-out performance. I wanted a nice cruiser with some *****. Targa is great because if gives you the open feel without all the turbulence and noise of a convertible. Hatch is good storage and I have never gone to the grocery store more or had as much fun doing so. Really depends on your needs and ego. Either one will be quick enough and if you find the right coupe (Z51) and do some cheap upgrades, you don’t lose much in performance. I prefer the aggressive look of the ZO6 but maybe I am past simply going on looks. It’s a Corvette so either way you win!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Same boat, similar usage occasional autox and quarter but mostly a cruiser. Still biding time watching the market. Only considering 01+ (mostly for upgraded torque tube on M6, upgraded electronics and less discontinuation, went to carbon blockers in trans vs paper, ls6 intake).

Also been torn between Targa and a Z for awhile. I like the idea of the Targa, wife will prefer the Targa, better storage for trips her and I take.The Z has a lot already done Id probably want to do to the Targa, c5z wheels, red brakes, 243 heads/mild cam, Ti exhaust, better shocks and sways out of the box if not neglected. If I had to do the springs on the Z(02-03), Id probably go a little bigger on the cam even in the Z. To answer some of your questions only the LS6 in the zo6 had the valve spring issue. LS1 in the Targa would not. Reliability\strength of the LS1 vs LS6, torque tube, or trans would not differ, some upgrades in the differential already mentioned.

The market is presenting a 3rd option. I prefer the c5 looks and like the pop ups, but if you want the same performance as a c5z and the targa, an 08+ c6 is starting to look real good. Prices seem to still be coming down. Can be had under 25k now in good condition clean title. Looks more and more tempting all the time.

Last edited by jrob56; 07-03-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Brunello
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 192 Posts

This is a great point if budget is not too tight. C5s are $12-16 w/ decent mileage and a little more for Z. Good C6 for around $18-20 gives you 400hp and looks the part.

Originally Posted by jrob56
Same boat, similar usage occasional autox and quarter but mostly a cruiser. Still biding time watching the market. Only considering 01+ (mostly for upgraded torque tube on M6, upgraded electronics and less discontinuation, went to carbon blockers in trans vs paper, ls6 intake).

Also been torn between Targa and a Z for awhile. I like the idea of the Targa, wife will prefer the Targa, better storage for trips her and I take.The Z has a lot already done Id probably want to do to the Targa, c5z wheels, red brakes, 243 heads/mild cam, Ti exhaust, better shocks and sways out of the box if not neglected. If I had to do the springs on the Z(02-03), Id probably go a little bigger on the cam even in the Z. To answer some of your questions only the LS6 in the zo6 had the valve spring issue. LS1 in the Targa would not. Reliability\strength of the LS1 vs LS6, torque tube, or trans would not differ, some upgrades in the differential already mentioned.

The market is presenting a 3rd option. I prefer the c5 looks and like the pop ups, but if you want the same performance as a c5z and the targa, an 08+ c6 is starting to look real good. Prices seem to still be coming down. Can be had under 25k now in good condition clean title. Looks more and more tempting all the time.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:30 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Basically, if you want a boulevard cruiser, it does not really matter You are realty deciding between top off, open air verses max. performance

Having owned both, here is my opinion

Coupe
Pros
1. Removable top. Nice when cruising around best cross between vert and coupe

2. Less cabin noise. Coupe is a little quieter than Z06, especially if you change tires to non run flats

3. TPS sensors. Believe it or not I miss this. Don't have to manually check tires when sitting for weeks.

Cons

1. Targa top rattles. No matter what you do, it will rattle. Of course the better the roads the less it will do this.

2. Tops will leak. Hard downpours and high speed washes simply cause leaks. New seals will help but will not eliminate. Ok for standard driving or in light or moderate rain.

3. Body roll and flex in high speed curves. Unless you have been in Z06 or more modern sports car you probably won't notice

4. Softer less compliant ride. I put new Bilsteins on, but driving friends Z06 (before I got mine) actually rode better all the way around

5. Slower. Accelerating. Again unless you compare with Z06 you will not notice.

Z06

Pros

1. Performance -- Even though this car is 18- 15 years old, it still will outperform many more modern muscle cars and stay in the same race with the base C7s . Put Michelin Pilots tires on, it will handle as well as new base Vettes.

2. Handling and ride. Just better all the way around. FRC design offers more rigidity.

3. Exhaust --Comes with titanium exhaust. Better flow from better exhaust system.

4. Better more solid Drive train. Shorter ratio gearing beefed yo drive train

5. Better block design and cooling/. Oil flow. Biggest difference in block and head designs between LS-1 and LS-6.

6. Better suspension. The Z06 has better sway bars, shocks, and bushings

Cons

1. Noisier cabin. Lighter weight,less sound deadenng materials can make for noisy cabin. Trunk divider will help big time.

2. No TPS monitor.

3. Fixed roof coupe. No roof panel removal.

Those are the basic differences.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,708 Likes on 1,669 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Bikerider has some great points. I don't agree with them all like the targa top rattling. I've owned 4 C5 coupes and none of them rattled. Same with heavy rains, none of them leaked.
If I was in your shoes, I'd get the coupe. It will be cheaper than a Z06 and with the money you save you can add C6 Z06 shocks and C6 Z51 sway bars. If an older model coupe, you'll want to replace the plastic end links too. Then save up your pennies and put on an A&A supercharger kit. There are some vendors offering it now for $6600 installed and tuned You'll go from 350 hp (345) to about 550 hp, well more than the Z06s 405 hp (385).
I also say drive them both, go with your gut.
TGstring (07-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To z06 vs targa top coupe

Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Evan have you taken a ride in each yet? - that usually seals the deal whichever feels better to you.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I used to have an '03 Z06. Loved it. Then '06 Z06 and a 2011 Grand sport. I hated the C6 interiors enough to go back to the C5, which I love.

Wife liked the coupe better, so that's what I got, a 1999 manual coupe. Feels generally the same, just not as stiff as the Z06 was. Came to realize all the power is nice, but I only used it less than 1 percent of the time. Plus I don't get so paranoid when I leave the coupe parked. I used to dread leaving the high dollar ones in the parking lots. Or even driving them made me worry I would hit something in the road. That's no fun.

Make sure you enjoy whatever you buy.
jrob56 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 PM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
I used to have an '03 Z06. Loved it. Then '06 Z06 and a 2011 Grand sport. I hated the C6 interiors enough to go back to the C5, which I love.

Wife liked the coupe better, so that's what I got, a 1999 manual coupe. Feels generally the same, just not as stiff as the Z06 was. Came to realize all the power is nice, but I only used it less than 1 percent of the time. Plus I don't get so paranoid when I leave the coupe parked. I used to dread leaving the high dollar ones in the parking lots. Or even driving them made me worry I would hit something in the road. That's no fun.

Make sure you enjoy whatever you buy.
Good point, I dont know why but C6 interior seems worse to me too. Something to factor in.

Quick Reply: z06 vs targa top coupe