Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pro’s (or non)- I need your expertise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The yellow dot is the lightest point of the tire. The red dot is the point of the max radial force variation. So the lowest runout of the rim should be aligned with the red dot.

A Hunter road force wheel balancer uses smart weight technology. This uses just one stick on weight inboard of the wheel spoke. As tests have shown that when trying to dynamically balance a wheel by placing the weight inboard of the wheel spoke & on the inboard wheel lip can cause an inaccurate static balance. This is because a vehicle is 4x more sensitive to static imbalance than dynamic imbalance. And when doing a dynamic balance using weights inboard of the spoke & on the inside wheel lip, the balancer places too much priority on the dynamic balance, and not enough on the static balance.

This is much less of an issue when the wheel design allows a clip on weight on the outside lip of the wheel. But when trying to dynamically balance a wheelthat has no place for an outside weight, you need a much larger weight inboard of the wheel spoke. So at my shop, we always just place one stick on weight inboard of the wheel spoke.

Russ Kemp

Quick Reply: Tire Pro’s (or non)- I need your expertise...