Sponsored by:

I need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM
howesis
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need some advise

So, I'm getting married Oct 6th and plan on taking the 97 vet on our honeymoon to the Smoky Mountains for a week. Spend Monday thru Friday sight seeing and driving all the roads possible to include the Dragon (she doesn't know anything about that. My concern is, the bottom feeding that the car is known for. After reading on here about it and the time of year were going.....is it that big of a deal? I was thing of just taking a hand broom with me just in case but I really don't want to have to clean the radiator out every 5 or 10 miles. How bad is it?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Im sure some folks that have conquered the dragon will chime in. I’ve never driven it myself but I would imagine if you give the ole girls whole bottom breathing section a nice cleaning before hand you should be golden!

Again hopefully you’ll get some first handers to give you some feedback.

Congrats on the wedding!

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 07-30-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm old, therefore I have experience. Not in what you're asking but common sense.
Why take the car if you're worried about something like that? Take another car so you can enjoy the honeymoon.
If you're determined to take it then be prepared for it.
I've had my 03 vert for over a year now and I checked out the radiator for debris and changed the air filter right after I got it. I just looked again last Saturday and they are still clean.
Enjoy your new adventure! My wife and I have been married almost 52 years now!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

took the C 5 vert on our Honeymoon, round trip over 2000 miles, had a blast !!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry over 2000 one way ~!!!!!!

Last edited by Pounder; 07-30-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
howesis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grandpa1
I'm old, therefore I have experience. Not in what you're asking but common sense.
Why take the car if you're worried about something like that? Take another car so you can enjoy the honeymoon.
If you're determined to take it then be prepared for it.
I've had my 03 vert for over a year now and I checked out the radiator for debris and changed the air filter right after I got it. I just looked again last Saturday and they are still clean.
Enjoy your new adventure! My wife and I have been married almost 52 years now!
We bought the car last year in Feb. when we were still dating. Since we got engaged, it has always been in the plans to take it on the honeymoon. We've never taken it more than a few hours from the house, so this is what we decided to do. It has been in the back of my mind about taking another vehicle due to the problems that could come up during our honeymoon by taking the vet, but this is something we both wanted to do back when we decided to get married. I guess I'll take my hand broom and deal with it as it comes up. I got free towing
Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 AM
howesis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbrent

Im sure some folks that have conquered the dragon will chime in. I’ve never driven it myself but I would imagine if you give the ole girls whole bottom breathing section a nice cleaning before hand you should be golden!

Again hopefully you’ll get some first handers to give you some feedback.

Congrats on the wedding!
Thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
tbrent (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by howesis
We bought the car last year in Feb. when we were still dating. Since we got engaged, it has always been in the plans to take it on the honeymoon. We've never taken it more than a few hours from the house, so this is what we decided to do. It has been in the back of my mind about taking another vehicle due to the problems that could come up during our honeymoon by taking the vet, but this is something we both wanted to do back when we decided to get married. I guess I'll take my hand broom and deal with it as it comes up. I got free towing
If you have free towing and have planned on taking it then why not? If you know the car I wouldn’t worry about it. Only thing I would make sure of is to have a column lock bypass installed.

I flew out to Newark, NJ. in 2006 to buy my C5. Drove it all the way back to Kansas City. It was a blast. And not a get crazy and speed like a mad man blast(I didn’t), but a countryside sight seeing adventure in a fun to drive car.

Last edited by tbrent; 07-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

It is not that big of a deal. I drive mine all fall long and never had a problem with leaves. I have taken my Vette on 3500 mile, two 1500 mile, and a half dozen 1000 mile road trips without a problem. If you are that worried take something else.
howesis (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:58 AM
howesis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JR-01
It is not that big of a deal. I drive mine all fall long and never had a problem with leaves. I have taken my Vette on 3500 mile, two 1500 mile, and a half dozen 1000 mile road trips without a problem. If you are that worried take something else.
That's what I wanted to hear. We haven't had the chance to drive the car much do to buying a house, family, and a whole bunch of other things. All I know about this issue is what I've read on this forum. Sounds to me like we're taking the vet and going to enjoy the trip
Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I've driven the dragon many times (I live nearby) and the fall of the year is the best time because the leaves will be changing. I've neve had to stop to clean out my radiator on my C-5 or my C-7. I also recommend doing the dragon mid week. (less motorbikes) Also plan on doing the Cherahalla parkway.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I've had 35 years of wedded bliss, Next month is our 40th anniversary. Do the math. LOL

Last edited by Phanni; 07-30-2018 at 12:05 PM.
howesis (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

They used to make a nice screen that filtered only large items, such as leaves, from getting into that space between the radiator and AC condenser. I have one in my garage that I used for about 6 months until I installed a supercharger, which takes up some of the same place.
howesis (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

It's a non issue, the only thing that could cause a serious issue is a large bag or some massive piece of road debris. Rocks, sand, and leaves will not create an instant overheating problem, its the buildup after thousands and thousands of miles where it starts to have an effect.

My solution? If I see a large piece of debris I can't really avoid, I drive straight over it, and check in my rear view if it's still on the ground. This was after I found a 16 oz water bottle lodged up in my radiator one day.

Last edited by ArtClassShank; 07-30-2018 at 12:17 PM.
howesis (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
howesis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phanni
I've driven the dragon many times (I live nearby) and the fall of the year is the best time because the leaves will be changing. I've neve had to stop to clean out my radiator on my C-5 or my C-7. I also recommend doing the dragon mid week. (less motorbikes) Also plan on doing the Cherahalla parkway.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I've had 35 years of wedded bliss, Next month is our 40th anniversary. Do the math. LOL
Cherahalla is on the list to do. Any others you would recommend? I plan on being there Monday check in and Friday check out 8-12 Oct.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:04 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

If you do the usual pre-trip inspection and maintenance (oil, tires, belts, etc) you would do on any car for a long distance trip, you won't have any mechanical problems with the car. Don't worry about sucking up leaves, and if you are worried, all you have to do is to look up in there every once in a while, Like others on here, I have made 2 long trips up and back to NJ from FL, driving 8-11 hrs/day at 75-80 mph (don't tell anyone), and the car never missed a beat. Just bring along an iPod plugged into the radio, or Sirius XM, or something to listen to, because the radio station reception is real spotty in that area and they basically suck.
And if there are a lot of leaves on the road and it's raining or has been, watch out because wet leaves can be as slippery as ice.

Last edited by mrlmd; 07-30-2018 at 01:05 PM.
howesis (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,414 Likes on 14,037 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Take the C5 and enjoy your honeymoon. It’s not like the car will suck up everything in sight and what little you may get in the radiator area should not have a big impact on the car’s performance. Clean out the radiator when you get home.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
Glasact (07-31-2018), howesis (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It depends how much more driving you want to do, but you'll be close to Dollywood (if amusement parks enthuse you). Or you could get back on I-40E and go to Asheville, NC and see Biltmore (America's largest family owned home - about 3-4 times as large as the White House for comparison). Run south from Asheville and you can go to Lake Lure where a lot of the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed; and part of the movie The Last of The Mohicans was shot in that general area, too.
Congratulations to you and your wife to be. Sounds like a great honeymoon trip you have planned!
howesis (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by howesis
Cherahalla is on the list to do. Any others you would recommend? I plan on being there Monday check in and Friday check out 8-12 Oct.
Some folks do part of the blue ridge parkway too.
There are lots of cool roads around here, The cherahalla is one of the best.
There is a neat waterfall that you can drive tight up to at the southern end of the Cherahalla parkway.
I believe it's called rainbow falls.
howesis (07-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To I need some advise

Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I’d take a tool kit, jug of water, a tire kit if you don’t have run-flats and call it good.
howesis (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are at all worried about leaves, you don't have to worry about them until this fall, if that.
Best advise: go during the week!
If you see a bunch of crotch rockets, just stay in your lane and you will be fine. They'll use the road apex in the oncoming lane. Crazy.
Spaggs
Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

Take the Vette! In the last 130,000 miles I've driven mine, I've sucked up two plastic bags. Pretty infrequent problem if you ask me. Both times it got stuck in my fan.

Leave the little broom home. First of all, you need a means to get your body under the car to get small debris out of the radiator. Second, the broom will not fit between the AC condenser and the radiator. When you peer under the car while it is sitting on the ground, you're looking at the AC condenser. Most mistake it for the radiator.

Just check your gages periodically. If you notice a temperature increase that is unusual, pull over and check for an obvious blockage. If you can't see it or reach it, you can turn your heater up and turn the fan on high to help get your temps down in a pinch. You will have to open your windows because it will get VERY warm in the cabin. This is an extremely effective method of pulling extra heat from your engine.

Don't overthink what can go wrong with your car or it will ruin your trip. Perform your maintenance ahead of time and you'll be fine. If it makes you feel better, I just completed a round trip from Michigan to Florida (2700 miles) with no issue. My Vette will be turning 280,000 miles later this week.
howesis (07-31-2018)

Quick Reply: I need some advise