Sponsored by:

Is Vararam Cold Air Intake Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Callaway Honker is also a true CAI. I think the only other way to get a true CAI on the C5 is with a cowl induction hood ducted directly to the filter. I've never liked the look of cowl induction hoods, I like low profile.
Is the Callaway basically set up like a Vararam? I've never seen where the air intake is from on those.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 04-02-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Is the Callaway basically set up like a Vararam? I've never seen where the air intake is from on those.
Callaway Honker cuts into the radiator shroud and pulls air directly from in front of the radiator. Basically, pulling air before it gets through the radiator, which makes it a true CAI.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Callaway Honker cuts into the radiator shroud and pulls air directly from in front of the radiator. Basically, pulling air before it gets through the radiator, which makes it a true CAI.
Thanks for the info. Do they work as well as a Vararam? I assume they're a lot easier to install?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Thanks for the info. Do they work as well as a Vararam? I assume they're a lot easier to install?
From what I have read, they do not work as well, they sit somewhere between the Vararam and stock intake (closer to Vararam). Installation is easier, they provide you with a template to cut the shroud. Cost is significantly higher, partially because it is California smog legal (Vararam and almost all other CAIs are not). Fit and finish is significantly better than Vararam.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:11 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
That is either one generous dyno or your car is an exception to the rule.

Never seen any C5 Z06 get these kind of dyno results without a cam swap.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...irst-tune.html

What kind of power would you have expected?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:25 PM
solo25
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the sound of the vents sucking in air when I start mine up.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts

Like the intake a lot. It did go through the rpm range better and sound more crisp with the vr3 air stack install. Which I’m having trouble re installing. Any help would be great of the placement of the stack
Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 AM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a Callaway Honker on my C5, it sits in front of the radiator, and sucks filtered air forced upward by the air dam. When I first bought the car I saw it and thought it was nothing special, then I had Corvette Center do a little tuning and Ray Zisa told me that the Callaway Honker was the best there is on the market. He also told me that because it provides such a large volume of air that the car really required a tune to properly support it. After he tuned the car it saw a horsepower gain of 24 hp. I can't comment on Hydro lock but Its' only seen heavy rain once, (returning from a car show). I've also seen a chart that shows the volume of air in comparison to others, I'll look for it and see if I can cut and paste to this thread.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

The Callaway CAI intake is a refined version of the "Icebox" intake from the early 00's, the system uses the same air as the radiator and the early "Icebox" systems was used on several Open Road events at that time. It was used on the C5 because the Veraram gets limited in the amount of air available at speeds over 130 mph. The Veraram was an early introduction into the CAI for the C5 along with Vortex Rammer. When the Callaway system came it was several years later, and then the Halltech (thru the front license plate) system was around. If you look at the C5 road race cars in that time period most used a Icebox or Halltech system because of price but the average C5 owner opted to the Veraram because you did not have to cut into the body panels or shroud. All of them are very good for the average owner but because they are using Cooler, ambient air they really should have a good scan tune to get the best performance. However if you are unfortunate to live in California, then you have to find one that is CARB approved.

Finally, in a stock LS1 engine you can only have around 43.25 CI of air entering into each cylinder. With the PCM acting as an engine management system, the software tune can help optimize the air/gas mixture and cooler ambient air will allow a more dense charge into the intake. You can only put so much air into the cylinder without going boost or NO.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 10:29 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I am one of the people I guess you would call "BS" on in regards to hydrolock. When, in fact, I DID hydrolock the engine. I had the Vararam system on my car and while it is a performer, I wouldn't go down that road again. I lost my motor due to a violent downpour that left a section of road questionable. While I was paying attention, to where I clearly saw deep water on one side of the road, the side I was on wasn't as deep, but deeper than I realized. My car is factory ride height as well. I believe 100% had I had an under hood CAI I would've saved the original engine. No water made it into the vehicle. No water over the hood. Just waterlogged through the Vararam. I have pictures of this posted on here somewhere back when it happened a few years ago, but I don't think CF is allowing 3rd party posting anymore.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ06
I am one of the people I guess you would call "BS" on in regards to hydrolock. When, in fact, I DID hydrolock the engine. I had the Vararam system on my car and while it is a performer, I wouldn't go down that road again. I lost my motor due to a violent downpour that left a section of road questionable. While I was paying attention, to where I clearly saw deep water on one side of the road, the side I was on wasn't as deep, but deeper than I realized. My car is factory ride height as well. I believe 100% had I had an under hood CAI I would've saved the original engine. No water made it into the vehicle. No water over the hood. Just waterlogged through the Vararam. I have pictures of this posted on here somewhere back when it happened a few years ago, but I don't think CF is allowing 3rd party posting anymore.
Respect to you for posting this. Exactly why I would fear installing any bottom feeding closed system on anything other than a track car or garage queen.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider2002
that video is a waste of time.
Because calling it a CAI does not make it a real CAI............. IYKNIM
Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
that video is a waste of time.
Because calling it a CAI does not make it a real CAI............. IYKNIM
dude was yelling at me the whole time... it was like being at home
The following 2 users liked this post by 2k2wranglerx:
lobuzz311 (02-02-2023), Sam Handwich (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by David Baumgartner
I have Billy Boat PRT exhaust in the garage waiting for install. Not sure what other mods I will do.
I believe you will be very pleased with your BBE PRT. We have this on our C5.
Authoritative sound at start up and idle; aggressive when accelerating hard, but quiet enough to carry on a conversation when cruising at highway speed. Best of all - no drone.
The true selling point to me is even my wife has commented to others that these are the best of both worlds for someone who wants a nice sounding exhaust that is quiet when on a trip.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:23 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 298 Likes on 227 Posts

I have a VR installed on my 04 and yes I have been in some deep water I am in Houston ever heard of ( Harvey ) yep we get some deep *** water around her and you never know when is going to happen ,the man might say 10% rain BS might be a flood .. I never had a problem but I do know some people that had there Corvette lock up in deep water ,I think wrong time wrong place .. I like mine .. Just saying ..
Old 04-04-2018, 02:30 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Default 10% rain at Royal Purple in Bay Town TX

Ok rain pic
Originally Posted by radar502
I have a VR installed on my 04 and yes I have been in some deep water I am in Houston ever heard of ( Harvey ) yep we get some deep *** water around her and you never know when is going to happen ,the man might say 10% rain BS might be a flood .. I never had a problem but I do know some people that had there Corvette lock up in deep water ,I think wrong time wrong place .. I like mine .. Just saying ..
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM
radc5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I returned the vara ram I purchased, I found it to be very cheaply made. The callaway seems to be more of a quality product.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Vararam Cold Air Intake Worth It?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a massive write up about the Vararam back years ago on that Z06 site. Same arguments then as what’s here. I had all my data backing up everything that I posted, but because it was against one of their mods, who didn’t like what I posted, he edited and deleted each of my posts stating that I could not link to a site that wasn’t paying for vendor status. Even though the links weren’t to a product page for the sell of any items.

The front of the car does get high pressure on it at speed, one of the reasons the brake cooling ducts are located just below the fog light area. In substantial rain, on a flooded road, you could injest water, all intake systems can under the right conditions. Know your car, know your mods and you will be fine.

I decided the Vararam over any other because I did not want to risk reducing any airflow that went to the radiator/condenser. This in the only intake system that does that without sucking hot air.
The following 4 users liked this post by sabastian458:
2k2wranglerx (04-04-2018), Glendows (04-04-2018), lobuzz311 (02-02-2023), Sam Handwich (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Originally Posted by radc5
I returned the vara ram I purchased, I found it to be very cheaply made. The callaway seems to be more of a quality product.
Yes they are cheaply made for sure ,I got a nice used one and it works for me .
Old 04-13-2018, 04:15 PM
CorvetteKid82
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
the real gains won't show on a dyno because you need to be moving to actually get the air flowing... a big fan might help simulate the effect but it's not the same... they do work though, I had one on my car for a couple of years... I get your point if you daily your car and have no choice but to drive in rain but many of us don't so there is no risk
Daily drove on I4 in Florida for over a year with the Vararam. No issues with water at all.

Quick Reply: Is Vararam Cold Air Intake Worth It?