Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think? Good deal? 2001 z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

That price is about right if it was in my area. There was a dealer around here with an 01' with only 12k miles. It was in pristine condition and they wanted 28k for it which is crazy. But it was a one owner car and he was a car collector. If your set on that car, I'd try and get it for around 19k. I also wanted a Z badly, but settled for my 2000 FRC with only 23k and picked it up for $15k. It was also a 1 owner car in pristine condition.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I would never, ever purchase a car with a mileage discrepancy on the title. That is a big hit to the value, to the point where dealers like CarMax would not even sell it without having it corrected on the report.

Title shows 24k miles in 9/16 and 40k miles in 12/17, which is 16k miles in 15mo - 12,800mi per year, reasonable for a driver. Being a new owner, it makes sense that the driving habits wouldnt be the same as the prior so it wasn't just a random burst in usage. Three days later, it shows 25k miles - which now means only 1k miles were driven in 15 whole months??? Seems fishy to me, and a car driven only 1k miles in a year and 3 months would likely have sat a long time and if it wasn't stored properly it would have needed some decent maintenance done (fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors cleaned, etc) .

If it was one digit off, like "45,268" instead of "25,268" I would think it was just a "fat-finger" input error, but every single digit is different.

In this case, unless the car was a "steal" and like $16k, I wouldn't touch it. I recently saw an 03 Z06 with 11k miles, one owner, and clean title sell for $23k a few hours from me...the extra $2k is very little extra for that piece of mind.

Keep in mind mileage discrepancy is a title brand that doesn't easily go away, and while not as serious as the ~30% depreciation you would see with a rebuilt title, it still has a negative connotation and will sell for less than an identical vehicle with no anomalies on the report.

FWIW, I worked at a dealership for three years and saw this type of stuff all the time, usually from trade-ins purchased at buy-here-pay-here lots.

Last edited by PuckDracon; 03-08-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

I bought my 02Z 2 years ago for $25k. It had 9k mikes and 4 previous owners, 2 of those being dealers. The interior was mint, the drivetrain was perfect with no leaks. The paint did have a few scratches and swirl marks, but $300 at a detailer fixed all that. The only thing my car needed due to age, not mileage was the fluids changed, new belts and new tires.

The click or clunk noise is probably the rear axle nuts being loose. I just fixed a similar problem for $6 and an hour of my time. The dimming lights could just be a bad battery, these cars are known to kill batteries if you let them sit for a few weeks or more. A new battery along with using a battery tender will keep it charged and ready to go. As others have mentioned check for any codes stored on the DIC and post here if you find any and have some questions.

I would ask the dealer if they can put the car up on a lift so you can inspect the undercarriage for leaks and damage and so you can look at the front crash bar. This will give you a better idea of the cars current condition and how well it was taken care of. As far as price, I think you could talk them down $1k to $2k because the cars has some minor upgrades like the interior stuff which makes it not "original" anymore. Overall it looks like a nice car and if you really like it, go for it and have fun with it.

Steve
Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
I would never, ever purchase a car with a mileage discrepancy on the title.

Title shows 24k miles in 9/16 and 40k miles in 12/17
Quite easily could've hit the KM button as 24,000 Miles converts to 38,624 KM.
The following users liked this post:
PuckDracon (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 AM
Dfire88
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a ton of reasons a act could have a mileage discrepancy. Most of them human error. Many of times dealerships process numerous titles in one sitting. Could be very possible someone wrote down mileage from a different title also. I paid around 25K for my 03 Z06 with 27,000 miles just 6 months ago. A little on the high side but I don't regret it at all. I did have to change the water pump and fuel filter from barely being driven but the more I drive it now the better it runs. Go for it!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Looks like a great car. Have you driven a c6? If not, drive one before you decide. Mechanically they are very similar, and have similar reliability. I wouldn't personally worry too much about either assuming good condition.
Drive both, they feel very different. See which you like more and then decide.
My ‘02 Z, which I bought in 2011, had 4 previous owners with only 16,700 miles. It had no problems for the 18,000 miles I put on it.
After driving it, I had the opportunity to drive a new c6 base. After that drive, when I got home I called the owner of the Z and said lets make a deal.
As for room, it’s subjective but from what I’ve observed on this and other Corvette forums, the C5 is the roomier car for most people.
One last thing, in agreement with Vetteman Jack, I see no need for profanity on this forum. I’ve interacted with most of the people in this thread at one point or another, and it’s not necessary.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Quite easily could've hit the KM button as 24,000 Miles converts to 38,624 KM.
Great catch! I did the conversion from the 12/19 miles and it comes out to 40,664 - which would make sense since the discrepancy 3 days before was listed as 40,659. Must have just done a little 5km test drive in 3 days .

That should be fixable if you call and explain, and they can take that discrepancy off the report.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser002

Why do you say that about the 01? Due to the lower power output or? Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
That's part of it. Also I've heard some of the 01's had oil consumption issues. I don't think its too serious though.

The 01's did come in some different color options. In the end, I liked the 03's because they were the 50th anniversary year.

just my thoughts
Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM
cruiser002
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, want to thank everyone for their input and give a quick update if you care to know what has happened.

The day day after I saw it, I went to go drive an ls2 c6. The same day, the c5 z06 dealer told me they will have their corvette mechanic look at the car regarding my concerns.

The c6 was nice, but like everyone said, it was a little less roomy and not as raw as I would like it. The power was smoother with less in car vibrations.

The following day I was going to go buy the c5z, if everything checked out. However, when the dealer told me that the car was looked over and it was in perfect condition, I became skeptical. Both the salesman and I have heard the noise and I’m not crazy, yet.

Well, the following day (today), I’ve been informed that the car has been sold. I’m a bit relieved since the whole thing seemed kind of fishy, but sad because I really felt like that car would fit me. Oh well, on to the next one. Again, thank you to everyone for helping, you guys seem like an awesome group to be a part of.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:10 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by cruiser002
Hey guys, want to thank everyone for their input and give a quick update if you care to know what has happened.
Well, the following day (today), I’ve been informed that the car has been sold. I’m a bit relieved since the whole thing seemed kind of fishy, but sad because I really felt like that car would fit me. Oh well, on to the next one. Again, thank you to everyone for helping, you guys seem like an awesome group to be a part of.
Well Cruiser, as my darling wife would say, it was an omen!! EVERY time I see a 'greatest deal" that eventually falls thru my fingers, I end up with something better. I'm not a mystic, but this one wasn't meant to be. Good luck!! We can gladly help you search!!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Well Cruiser, as my darling wife would say, it was an omen!! EVERY time I see a 'greatest deal" that eventually falls thru my fingers, I end up with something better. I'm not a mystic, but this one wasn't meant to be. Good luck!! We can gladly help you search!!
It just means you were meant to get something better. Keep looking, the right one will pop up.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Just wasn't meant to be, if your not picky about year/color/trans options than there are plenty of C5's out there for you
Old 03-09-2018, 05:42 PM
budco
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not with you guys when it comes to finding something with very low mileage. In the last 2 years I sold two cars, both with under 50K documented original miles. First was a 72 Corvette and the second was a 72 SS Chevelle. They were all original and about everyone told me not to drive/beat on them because it kills the value, so I drove them some and sold them. I'm a retired master mechanic with a shop/lift at my house so working on them is not a problem. I ending up buying a 2002 Z06 with 109K miles on it. I checked it out inside, outside and underneath and it looks good. I really don't car how many miles or owners it has had. I bought this to drive and beat on when I want and not have to worry about how many miles I put on it. I worked on a fleet and some of my trucks had 30K on them when the problems started and the same model truck had no problems at 200K miles. You look and try to find something that looks like it was taken care of and then take your chances. One thing about those cars with very low miles, sitting month after month takes a toll. My 2 cents and 40 years wrenching experience.....
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 PM
cruiser002
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
You’re not wrong, my friend. That’s what I’m trying to tell myself. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

The good news is, now you know you want a c5z. Look around a bit and you'll find the right one. Good luck!

Quick Reply: What do you think? Good deal? 2001 z06