Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No return now... Ipad mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Bengtsson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also guys, what you think of hiding the HVAC behind the ashtray cover? So you slide up the lid?

Many got these super nice interior and than there is a old climate control that just ruins it.

Last edited by Bengtsson; 12-14-2017 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I have seen people remove the screen from double din radios and replace them with tablets and transfer all the radio functions to the tablet. I wonder if the same could be done with the HVAC?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengtsson
Also guys, what you think of hiding the HVAC behind the ashtray cover? So you slide up the lid?

Many got these super nice interior and than there is a old climate control that just ruins it.
That's not a bad idea actually. A bit odd, but would kinda solve the ugly heater issue.
Honestly I think the dash with upgraded audio almost looks worse than all 80's Chev. "Hey brand new looking audio unit... what's with that though!?" It amplifies (pun intended) how ugly the leftover is IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
From the first time I saw a DD mod (or sim) I wondered why nobody would replace the radio and heater controls with an android tablet of some sort.
Dash area = not bad looking
Radio = ugly
Heater controls = ugly
Somebody figure out a way to replace both with one unit and some sort of interface... a real tech savvy guy who used to work at my day job said he could do it (I believe it, he could modify the DOS, Access systems here way beyond what I thought possible).
http://www.canaviet.com/e_products/v...gation-39.html
Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Ah gee, you got my hope up. Darn.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:28 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner
Ah gee, you got my hope up. Darn.
yeah odd choices that company made. Under Toyota they dont have one for the Tacoma even though its one of the best selling trucks in America.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the basic GM 3-**** control much better than overly complicated controls of the new cars. Want heat or defrost? Just turn the ****. Temperature? Turn it. Fan speed? The same. My GLK has buttons, which can be annoying because you have to keep pressing it to cycle through the settings. Oops, pressed once too many times - now you have to go throug them all again. Fiddling with a touch screen while driving down the road would be even worse.
chasboy (01-01-2018)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I like the basic GM 3-**** control much better than overly complicated controls of the new cars. Want heat or defrost? Just turn the ****. Temperature? Turn it. Fan speed? The same. My GLK has buttons, which can be annoying because you have to keep pressing it to cycle through the settings. Oops, pressed once too many times - now you have to go throug them all again. Fiddling with a touch screen while driving down the road would be even worse.
I’m with you on that one, it’s just the look of the C5 control panel that is a complete turn off for me. Looks like it was designed by Fisher Price and put together by small children using the cheapest materials known to man.
a_ahmed (05-09-2022)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Bengtsson
Intermediate

Okay so i've started the placement with the HVAC in the ashtray and the Ipad.

Anyone has an idea what to do with this stupid cupholder? It kinda sucks and when im having the panel off maybe you could do something better or something else with it?

HB
Old 12-23-2017, 03:36 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
I’m with you on that one, it’s just the look of the C5 control panel that is a complete turn off for me. Looks like it was designed by Fisher Price and put together by small children using the cheapest materials known to man.
So true. A Cavalier owner would poke his head in and laugh.If there's anything about the car that screams parts bin GM to me, it's the HVAC readout. I even like the little digital screen, just give me something to get rid of the Playskol look.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Hopefully, we'll be introduced to newer technology in the near future. I'm showing you a couple of pics of a Tesla dash/instrument panel. 100% digital. They use a 17" monitor mounted vertically and it includes ALL controls (radio, AC and heat, GPS, Sirius, etc and so on). Sure would like to see that sort of mod for my C5 but I know it won't happen. Our cars are just too old. However, I would like to see this on new Vettes in the future. Just posting for your enjoyment. I'm not dissing on our C5s or any other years of Corvettes. My business partner has a Tesla and I've been impressed with many things about it. (It's still not as fast as my car despite what you might read... haha).

chasboy (01-01-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:30 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Can something like this (
Amazon Amazon
Kinter MA170 12V 2 Channel Mini Digital Audio Power Amplifier for Car or Mp3) be used in combination with a tablet to easily replace the stock head unit?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-29-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Bengtsson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Can something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Kinter-MA170-...ar+mini+stereoKinter MA170 12V 2 Channel Mini Digital Audio Power Amplifier for Car or Mp3) be used in combination with a tablet to easily replace the stock head unit?
Yes, its just like hooking it up to a bigger amplifier. You could use a Mini amp, but i would not recomend the one you have listed.

I will post pics soon, just started puting the my piece together with fiberglass.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:57 PM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

That schoche piece is nice . They are local to me down the street from vortech. Let me talk to one of my friends from there and see if it can be adapted to ours .
chasboy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:19 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

So many good ideas here.
OP, clever idea, just wondering where the HVAC will go.
I like the soundman’s slide in kit.
I’d love to see the HVAC be replaced.
I’ve experienced the Tesla screen too, and it’s great.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:01 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ion
Scosche made a nice replacement for the Camaro's AC controls. You C5 guys needs something like this for your cars.. or maybe find a way to hack up an interface to translate wiring to this one.

Scosche doesn’t seem to offer it anymore. I’d love to jump on that one!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Was all about this for a time with my C5. Had a windows based PC with a slide out monitor, wifi, gps, audio, video and XM.......but......I like this stuff (computers as a hobby since.....well since before we had "personal sized computers or video displays).

Couple of things to consider:

Automotive Eq that we all complain about is pretty durable, and it works well below freezing for days at a time and up to 130 ish in heat.
Not Sure ipads or tablets can do that.
So as long as it goes inside with you when you park for more than a few hours......sure......the stuff today will do all the functions you need in one device.

We used to run front end software that made using the PC easy while driving (nice menues, big buttons....etc) you dont want to be reading small text while driving. But although I havent looked, Im sure its out there.....ANdriod Auto...Google has to have something and Im sure Apple does also.

My PC was mounted in the back on the wheel well, and the monitor slid out from the space under the stock head unit (I moved the heat/AC to the lower spot where the ashtray was). So I kept the OEM head unit and ran the audio input into that.

If you pop an ipad in there, or any tablet......Im pretty sure its not going to fit in front of the stock head unit (having had that apart several times.....theres no room). So you will need an amplifier that you are going to have to interface with the stock wiring harness for the radio. And if you take out the oem head unit, pretty sure no door chimes.......if that matters.

If I were going to do it today, I would use an ipad or tablet and it would come out similar to the tesla (but I would get around all the interface headaches) way better than what I had and as slick as you want to make it.

Truth be told, for the functions most people want, a replacement double din that goes in the same spot and an off the shelf wiring adapter is way easier and cleaner.

Enjoy whatever you decide
chasboy (01-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To No return now... Ipad mod

Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 AM
darkling
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

thats alot of work . you can just do a android system and it's cheap even has wifi hotspot built in www.carjoying.com/joying-best-new-android-6-0-1-marshmallow-car-sound-system-ram-2gb-rom-32gb-universal-pip-bluetooth-car-radio-hd-1024-600-inch-double-2-din-in-dash-car-stereo-770.html
Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Bengtsson
Intermediate

This is my first time using fiberglass. Got a little more to go before its finished but just wanted to give y'all an update. So i used hot glue and some scrap metal to hold the middle piece in place. Will take better pics for u guys later.

Edit: Can u make the pics smaller?

Last edited by Bengtsson; 01-02-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by Bengtsson
This is my first time using fiberglass. Got a little more to go before its finished but just wanted to give y'all an update. So i used hot glue and some scrap metal to hold the middle piece in place. Will take better pics for u guys later.

Edit: Can u make the pics smaller?
Just for your information - the center console is made from ABS plastic, not fiberglass. That means that it can be “welded” simply by using ABS cleaner and adhesives from you local hardware store. If you need additional materials, you can use ABS scrapes and mix them into the adhesives.

Quick Reply: No return now... Ipad mod