Sponsored by:

Service traction and active handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
StreetDrive420
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service traction and active handling

Occasionally when I start my corvette, I get the warnings saying to service the traction control and active handling, and the traction control light goes on in the instrument cluster, and it will remain on throughout the drive. This doesn't happen every time however. It seems to happen just at pure random. My thought is that it could be a bad sensor or something? This is my first corvette ever so my knowledge is rather limited
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetDrive420
Occasionally when I start my corvette, I get the warnings saying to service the traction control and active handling, and the traction control light goes on in the instrument cluster, and it will remain on throughout the drive. This doesn't happen every time however. It seems to happen just at pure random. My thought is that it could be a bad sensor or something? This is my first corvette ever so my knowledge is rather limited
what year is the car?
Do you know how to pull up the codes, if so, post them, if not, there are post here showing how. do a search.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

BTW, when those warnings are on, the active handling and anti lock braking does not work.

Until we figure out what's going on, try shutting the car down and restarting to see if the problem exists after a new startup.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:28 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Could be a number of things that will bring that situation up. You have to pull the codes or it would be a guessing game as to the cause.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It really can be a number of things, but myself and quite a few people have had a simple EBCM connector go faulty. I would find a good Corvette Indy shop to check it out for you as a dealership will most likely recommend replacing the whole EBCM module. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Another thing you can do is to really focus on turning the key to "on" and sitting for a second to let the full gauge sweep to complete before actually starting the car.

It completely prevents the problem for me, which would happen every once in a while if I forget to let the gauges sweep before starting.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
StreetDrive420
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some snooping and testing the code it comes up with is C1295 which is a brake lamp switch circuit open. Whenever the head and tail lights are activiated the TCS light on the dash comes on.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:07 AM
stc
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cam some help with a picture or exact position of the EBCM module. I used to get the occasional traction and break lights warning but now it is on permanently so I will have to remove and solder the connections.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2017, 01:30 PM
KCK8766
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had same 1295 code. It turned out to be the LED third brake light not being plugged in.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Seems kinda crazy that a bad brake light would disable the entire Traction Control/ Active Handling system. But from what I just read evidently it does.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The system in question utilizes voltage signals from the brake lights to be able to function correctly. Specifically that tells the system that the brake pedal has been depressed. So disconnected brake lights or burned out brake light bulbs would prevent the system from getting the signals it relies on and hence the disabling of the system when either occurs.
I understand that's how it it works. Just wonder why it waa designed that way. Seems like DIC message "Check Brake Lights" but let TC/AH continue to function would have made more sense.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't mean to hijack , but the same thing started happening to me . I checked code , got C1226 .
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
C1226 = Right front wheel speed sensor excessive variation

A very common issue on the C5. Most likely cause by either damage to the wiring or connector for the RF wheel speed sensor or by bent pins inside the connector.

Jack the RF and support with a jack stand. Remove the RF wheel. Examine the wiring on either side of the WSS connector for damage and if any repair as necessary. Separate the two halves of the WSS and examine the pins. Here is a pic of a connector with deformed pins (right) next to a new connector (left). A dental pick can be used to reshape the pin surfaces. Metal the pins are made from is very soft and do deform easily:

Attachment 48209259
I just got to it, easily accessible . I hope I got it ! Thanks , great forum with such knowledgeable helpful members !

Get notified of new replies

To Service traction and active handling

Quick Reply: Service traction and active handling