Sponsored by:

Best budget performance heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I don't race, and have since added a supercharger, different cam, etc. so whatever. As for results, a member in FLA, Christian aka Miami got 511 RW with some really tricky heads that had a 11* valve angle and big cam. I don't remember the brand, and that was 10 years ago. I didn't build my car to race, just really a mid-life ability to have a car I could make my own, and afford to "waste" money on. In fact, I kind of regret adding a SC, as it's scary at low speeds, and you can go from 0 to jail in about 5 seconds.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...EaAuvtEALw_wcB

are these the same heads?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If frankenstein does a proper CNC job for $500 grab it that is super cheap!
Most times diy jobs or following someone elses may result in disappointing results. Takes many years of making mistakes, the right tools & knowing where and where not to go.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:46 PM
TrickFlowTech
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello, if you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with a set of our Fast As Cast 220 heads. We have a version for the LS1/6 bore with part number TFS-30610001. The LS2 bore version is TFS-30610002. Lots of information and horsepower numbers out there, but let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM
0FrankensteinE.D.
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sean.b
if you're adding the springs and doing the machine work and cleaning.. thats not bad. thats closer to $500 for the p/p. do you have flow #s for 241 and 243 heads you do?

sean.b,

You can expect 6-8 less cfm with the 241s. Our 241/853 program is absolutely no slouch.

-Russ
The following users liked this post:
Roddy13 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:27 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

thats more than PRC 2.5's from the factory, and for $300 less. dayum.

so if i sent you some heads, and wanted to flow bench them after you're done, you'll guarantee (give or take a %) results like that?

if thats the case, this is a no brainer service.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

dyno on the blower setup? i keep telling myself i dont need one. but like you said.. if you can afford to waste the money, and love cars and going fast.. its hard not to!

im building a twin turbo 5.3 trailblazer right now. because i obviously *need* to. but that's for high altitude mountains, so its somewhat justified having forced induction. living in Denver, i went from an actual 430rwhp to an actual ~320rwhp due to altitude. it has me flirting with blowers.
643/532 SAE. Yeah the high altitude really benefits from FI. When I SC'd my car I did some minor demodding to help pay the freight; changed the FAST setup for stock LS6, lost the Meziere EWP, and the UD pulley.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...EaAuvtEALw_wcB

are these the same heads?

Yes. The later models have been revised from mine to allow stock length PRs, and I had them milled to 61cc.

Last edited by zeevette; 07-26-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:10 PM
0FrankensteinE.D.
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

thats more than PRC 2.5's from the factory, and for $300 less. dayum.

so if i sent you some heads, and wanted to flow bench them after you're done, you'll guarantee (give or take a %) results like that?

if thats the case, this is a no brainer service.
sean.b,

As much as I'd love to, if I did it for you I'd have to do it for the world. I don't have the manning for that lol. Also, our retail is $1150 for this setup but since I made a typo, I'll eat the $100. We just finished our $1050 sale so it basically became habit lol.

-Russ
Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Yeah, dynos are a turning tool. The number they spit out is relative, and by no means meant to be super accurate. The first dyno I did I made 286whp stock. The next one, I made 309whp stock, ya see? Don't get hung up on dyno numbers, what's important are your track time changes.

I also quite like the geegaw ****. Mine looks like a modern sports car again, and notably more women approach me about my car than men, so to each their own ya. Given enough time, I'm pretty sure I'll spend more money on my C5 than most people, but I have had mine for 3 years, how long have you had yours? Don't be soooo quick to judge others zeevette, I see you post negatively on almost EVERYTHING on this forum, just let everyone enjoy their own thing, it's not like there are very many of us that aren't enthusiasts here.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
Yeah, dynos are a turning tool. The number they spit out is relative, and by no means meant to be super accurate. The first dyno I did I made 286whp stock. The next one, I made 309whp stock, ya see? Don't get hung up on dyno numbers, what's important are your track time changes.

I also quite like the geegaw ****. Mine looks like a modern sports car again, and notably more women approach me about my car than men, so to each their own ya. Given enough time, I'm pretty sure I'll spend more money on my C5 than most people, but I have had mine for 3 years, how long have you had yours? Don't be soooo quick to judge others zeevette, I see you post negatively on almost EVERYTHING on this forum, just let everyone enjoy their own thing, it's not like there are very many of us that aren't enthusiasts here.

Well, you should keep reading, Eric, because you're wrong about being negative. I do remember your being offended because I didn't like your scribbling (art). For that I'm sorry, but this is supposed to be a place to give one's honest opinion, and overall, I think I've been of more help than harm. BTW, you were the one in this thread that repeatedly called the upper tier heads, and those that spend that as "stupid". You're entitled to that opinion, but, I have different priorities, and at my age, they can change pretty fast. For instance, my 'vette hasn't left the garage since last fall due to health problems, so, count your chickens. Second example; there's an earlier thread that some newb needs the factory air pump, which I happen to have, and I've offered it for free.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankensteinE.D.
Roddy13,

We can open your 241s up quite a bit. $1050 shipped, CNC port, CNC vj, hand blend, dual lsx spring kit .660" and Ti retainers, surface, final wash, assemble and shipped.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to inquire about a set.

-Russ
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have flow rates, and dyno numbers? Any members on here or LS1 tech running your 241 heads? with dyno sheets?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Oh man! I'm sorry if I gave out that impression xo I meant I thought the money the manufacturer WANTS for the heads is stupid not those that buy it are stupid. If you can swing it, rock on, but they reeeeally do cost too much friggin money.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I don't race, and have since added a supercharger, different cam, etc. so whatever. As for results, a member in FLA, Christian aka Miami got 511 RW with some really tricky heads that had a 11* valve angle and big cam. I don't remember the brand, and that was 10 years ago. I didn't build my car to race, just really a mid-life ability to have a car I could make my own, and afford to "waste" money on. In fact, I kind of regret adding a SC, as it's scary at low speeds, and you can go from 0 to jail in about 5 seconds.

0 to Jail

Quick Reply: Best budget performance heads?