Sponsored by:

TPMS service message

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:05 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts
Default TPMS service message

I just picked up my 1998 C5 yesterday (Saturday) and drove it 350 miles home. While driving I noticed a message on the dash stating;
"serv. tire mon. sys.". I'm assuming it has to do with the TPMS but don't know where to start looking for an issue. Need some good advice.

Thanks...
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 PM
93 lt1 vette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Scroll the gauge page until you get to the tire pressure readings. Any -- will give you the message. -- equals a dead battery.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I just picked up my 1998 C5 yesterday (Saturday) and drove it 350 miles home. While driving I noticed a message on the dash stating;
"serv. tire mon. sys.". I'm assuming it has to do with the TPMS but don't know where to start looking for an issue. Need some good advice.

Thanks...
I just fixed this, investing $2.58 at Home Depot for a magnet with a hole in the middle. Watch this video about reinitializing the sensors:

Worked exactly as he indicated for me, message went away, code went away, success! If it doesn't work, well, you have a new fridge magnet, but it probably means the batteries inside your TPMS sensors are dying.

Last edited by Rgeezer; 07-23-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Do like 8VETTE7 mentioned and pull any codes. Hard to say for sure if the sensors are original to the car, but if they are, chances are they have reached the end of their life expectancy.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 534 Posts

I had the warning yesterday, with xxx for the RR, went away today. Go figure.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by redzg
I had the warning yesterday, with xxx for the RR, went away today. Go figure.
You likely have a battery dying in the TPMS. You know how when you shake your TV remote or garage door remote, you can get the last bit of juice out of the battery before it completely kaputs? Well, your drive was your last shake of the battery. It will likely need attention soon.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Thanks to all for the help. Much appreciated from this novice.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152

Thanks...
Same with my anniversary after 14 years - - -$150 fix to replace and reprogram at local Discount Tire.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM
bradmaunsell
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Problems

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have a similar problem with my C5 2000. - DIC msg Serv Tire Sys
I am completely inexperienced with this stuff - I just drive it.

I started with intermittent tire pressure readings on all 4 positions. Sometimes pressure readings work and sometimes they don't. While driving over 20 mph, they may all be OK at one time and then one or more postilions randomly change to XXXX. Wait a while and it comes back to normal.. They may all be OK and then another craps out.

I took car to shop and they replaced all 4 sensors using Autel sensors.
I still have the same problem after several trips back to shop. Ready to go to dealer and have OEM sensors installed???
They charged over $700 and did not fix the problem. They asked for an additional $800 to replace the receiver - said good bye.

I get these error codes under B0 RAF
U10964H
U1064H
U1016H
C2100H
C2105HC
C2110HC
C2113HC

I bought a used RECEIVER #10422621 No change. Swapped and reset with original several times to decrease odds of me screwing it up.
I am using the magnet system to train the sensors (unsuccessfully) - Big round "tire" magnet from Amazon.
There is a STRANGE event when retraining. See below.
I have repeated again and again with the same issue. Is it possible that the front left is continually transmitting? to cause this skipping of LF???

This is the training process I am using.

1) Turn ignition on

2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages

3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank

4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds

5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears

6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming

STRANGE ERROR HERE - It automatically shoots through the front left process, beeps the horn and pauses at front right. (No chance to "magnetize" the front left)
It goes to and displays the front right and pauses. If I continue, those positions (RF, RR, LR) appear to retrain as expected with a beep.

7) Hold large magnet over the left front valve stem

8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed
(if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over)

9) When the horn sounds,

proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages:
-Learn R Front Tire
-Learn R Rear Tire
-Learn L Rear Tire

Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off,
waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned,
finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC.

If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

I can understand trying to save a few bucks but some times buying OEM is the best route to take.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:33 PM
bradmaunsell
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear from somebody who actually understands this stuff.
I am 75 years old and have not done any of this stuff since the early 60s when you could buy good 283 Chevy engine at a junk yard for $50. We used to big blockBuick engines for $25 in those days. Of course a month's pay was $72 then.
I simply took my C5 to tire shop that I believed knew what they were doing.
They installed the Autel sensors and were suppose to know how to do this kind of work
After 3 returns, I paid $700 and still not working, They asked for and additional $800 to continue. I parted company and said my plan is to take it to a Corvette dealer in hopes they have somebody with experience in old Corvettes.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:03 AM
bradmaunsell
Heel & Toe

Thanks for sharing knowledge and experience.

I will look for a tire shop that has the unique Autel tool you mention.

At the time, I had no clue about sensors or importance of OEM sensors. I will look for a shop with experience with C5 series Corvettes. That may be hard to find.

Since this experience, I do have a general understanding that each tire sensor has to send/transmit some kind of an ID and pressure to the receiver. Is "PCM" what I am calling a receiver?

Am I correct in thinking the initialization process saves the individual tire ID to the receiver?

Am I correct in thinking the sensor transmits (once) each time the tire rotates (360) past some trigger device? Furthermore, does the sensor transmit a unique wheel id and tire pressure to the receiver (PCM)?

What I do not understand is why DIC pressure displays are be intermittent - sometimes correct and sometimes XXXX. That sounds like the IDs are not being received or transmitted or else not finding a match. As mentioned before, I have swapped the receiver (several times).

I am beginning to understand that owning an older Corvette requires knowing (a lot) about the your car. The repair shops do not know the details about the older cars. I have learned a lot on this forum and guys like you, since I bought my 2000 C5 two months ago. Although I did have a 77 Corvette when I was younger, and did most of the work myself, that was before all of electronic DIC stuff.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 AM
bradmaunsell
Heel & Toe

Default Tpms switch

One more question.....

They you have to drive at 20 mph to see the DIC tire pressures.

Do the sensors have a centrifugal force switch to prolong battery life?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Bad plan!! IMHO
You should have started with the GM OEM sensors to begin with and would have saved a huge bundle of money over what you have thrown at the issue.
My sentiments EXACTLY........

Why complicate things !

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS service message

Quick Reply: TPMS service message