Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[serious advice] 02 Z06 been down since mid 2013. Questions before starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Bash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [serious advice] 02 Z06 been down since mid 2013. Questions before starting

Hi, quick run down.

Sometime in 2013, I destroyed my differential and my 02 Z (105K) went down and with where I was back then, I didnt start tearing into the car until about a year later in 2014 (Heavy workload, New GF, etc). I got my differential rebuilt after removing the rear end myself (2nd time for me). Ive finally after about 5 years it seems, got her all back together. Im buying a battery tomorrow, but I have a few questions before I start her for the 1st time (in a long time).

1. I changed all my fluids, besides my coolant system. I wanted to take it somewhere to have this done. I feel like Ill be ok, but am I risking anything by running that old coolant/water until I take it to get flushed?

2. Ive changed my fuel filter already, but I plan on draining my tanks/refueling them with fresh fuel and before I start the car I plan on bleeding out fuel in the lines via the fuel rail to make sure the injectors get fresh fuel. My question has to do with the injectors, should I be fine with the state they are in?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You would most likely be perfectly fine with the injectors. I'm curious as to why you don't just change the coolant yourself if you're mechanically inclined enough to pull the diff?

As far as the injectors go, if you have a good scanner you can see your fuel trims and monitor to see if you're running lean/rich and the computer is adding fuel. This assumes that you don't have any vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, and a good fresh air filter/strong fuel pump.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Might be too late now but during the oil change save a quart and take the valve covers off and splash the oil on the top of the rockers and pour a little down the lifter valley, that way the dry start wont be too harsh on the parts that have been dry for 5 years. With the oil in the cylinders I would remove the fuel pump fuse and turn it over for a few seconds to get the cylinder walls a little lubed as well but maybe thats my old pre fuel injection thinking at work.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Bash
Hi, quick run down.

Sometime in 2013, I destroyed my differential and my 02 Z (105K) went down and with where I was back then, I didnt start tearing into the car until about a year later in 2014 (Heavy workload, New GF, etc). I got my differential rebuilt after removing the rear end myself (2nd time for me). Ive finally after about 5 years it seems, got her all back together. Im buying a battery tomorrow, but I have a few questions before I start her for the 1st time (in a long time).

1. I changed all my fluids, besides my coolant system. I wanted to take it somewhere to have this done. I feel like Ill be ok, but am I risking anything by running that old coolant/water until I take it to get flushed?

2. Ive changed my fuel filter already, but I plan on draining my tanks/refueling them with fresh fuel and before I start the car I plan on bleeding out fuel in the lines via the fuel rail to make sure the injectors get fresh fuel. My question has to do with the injectors, should I be fine with the state they are in?

Thanks
1. no
2. yes
Old 06-22-2017, 06:08 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel in the rails. How full were the tanks during this time? If full, they shouldn't have picked up too much moisture. Wouldn't hurt to drain at least half the the gas out and add new. Maybe some octane boost. Just don't drive it like you stole it until you burn through a full tank of fuel.

Pulling the fuse on the fuel pump isn't a bad idea. Pull the fuse and bump the starter a few times to build pressure.

As stated, no worries about the coolant. Change it when you get a chance.

Get notified of new replies

To [serious advice] 02 Z06 been down since mid 2013. Questions before starting

Quick Reply: [serious advice] 02 Z06 been down since mid 2013. Questions before starting