Sponsored by:

Fluid change frequency

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fluid change frequency

My 98 now has about 19000 miles. It was my Dads, bought new. I have been changing the oil yearly, but no other fluids. I always ask if the other needs it, they always say "no, it's fine". I don't know when fluids were last changed. Possibly coolant has been changed, I'm less confident that brake, clutch, power steering, or differential has.

Even though the mechanic says it is all ok, should I consider doing it anyway? It is about due for its yearly oil change. It has not been driven hard, and is stock. M6 transmission.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would change all the fluids if it were my car - after all, it is a nearly 20 year old car albeit with low mileage. The coolant should be changed every 5 yrs, 150K miles, whichever comes first. And the brake fluid/clutch fluid most likely needs it too. According to the owner's manual, the manual tranny fluid never needs changing - if you're comfortable with that, fine. I changed mine when I had my six speed car even though I probably didn't need to - just made me feel better about the maintenance on the car. Not sure about the power steering fluid - can't hurt (other than a hit to the wallet) to have it changed.
The following users liked this post:
Friscojim (02-03-2022)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I would change everything. New transmission fluid made my car easier to shift gears. Really worthwhile. I changed the differential fluid for peace of mind. The first owner had changed the original coolant and replaced the hoses. I drained and refilled the coolant again per the service schedule. When it needed a brake job, I put in fresh fluid. Clutch fluid I used the ranger method. All in all, it's cheap insurance.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:45 PM
RonDZ06
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't need an endoscope to see the valve springs. Just shine a light into the oil filler cap and look.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 PM
RonDZ06
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RonDZ06
You don't need an endoscope to see the valve springs. Just shine a light into the oil filler cap and look.
My first related thread post goof I'm guessing? Lol. Swear this wasn't thread I posted in.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:00 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would change all the fluids if it were my car - after all, it is a nearly 20 year old car albeit with low mileage. The coolant should be changed every 5 yrs, 150K miles, whichever comes first. And the brake fluid/clutch fluid most likely needs it too. According to the owner's manual, the manual tranny fluid never needs changing - if you're comfortable with that, fine. I changed mine when I had my six speed car even though I probably didn't need to - just made me feel better about the maintenance on the car. Not sure about the power steering fluid - can't hurt (other than a hit to the wallet) to have it changed.
I change all the fluids yearly. Cheap insurance.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:34 PM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Defintely flush the brake fluid, in a 98, it died around 20 years ago and is definitely unsafe, they will fade or grab on one side the first time you really need them and being soo old, make sure they activate the ABS or you'll have most of the old fluid still in the system. Coolant lasts 5 years, that should be flushed. Trans and rear end probably last forever but if it starts being difficult to get in reverse, it's a sign the tranny needs new ATF (not synthetic, it will destroy the paper blockers but Amsoil ATD is safe). If under high power levels when turning, you get rear end chatter, replace the diff fluid with the proper additive unless the fluid includes it. Power steering fluid will last 100 years and never needs replaced, that's usually something a service salesman tries to get a bigger commission. Clutch fluid is probably a good idea, I forget if the C5 needs the ranger method or not, it's been a while since I've done anything to my C5 but clutch fluid absorbs moisture just like the brake fluid.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:42 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 817 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by GettnBetter
Defintely flush the brake fluid, in a 98, it died around 20 years ago and is definitely unsafe, they will fade or grab on one side the first time you really need them and being soo old, make sure they activate the ABS or you'll have most of the old fluid still in the system. Coolant lasts 5 years, that should be flushed. Trans and rear end probably last forever but if it starts being difficult to get in reverse, it's a sign the tranny needs new ATF (not synthetic, it will destroy the paper blockers but Amsoil ATD is safe). If under high power levels when turning, you get rear end chatter, replace the diff fluid with the proper additive unless the fluid includes it. Power steering fluid will last 100 years and never needs replaced, that's usually something a service salesman tries to get a bigger commission. Clutch fluid is probably a good idea, I forget if the C5 needs the ranger method or not, it's been a while since I've done anything to my C5 but clutch fluid absorbs moisture just like the brake fluid.
unless the slave already has a speed bleeder installed, ranger is the quicker/easier (albeit not as thorough) method for flushing the clutch fluid.
i installed some Russell speed bleeder valves on the calipers - makes brake flushing a one-man job & well worth it.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:12 AM
RPGR90s
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 139 Posts

DOT 3, 4 brake fluid absorbs moisture so annual flushing ensures a moisture free system.

Does this matter?

Well, as proof, I've been doing this on my old BMW motorcycle for quite a few years. (1974 R90s). About twenty years ago I decided to take the front brake calipers apart and check on the pistons, seals, etc.

When I popped the pistons out, the surfaces were literally like new. No pits, corrosion at all.

So once a year, I get my wife to pump the pedal while I bleed all four corners until clean fluid comes through.

Cheap insurance IMHO
The following users liked this post:
leadfoot4 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:58 PM
ssmuff
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I changed all the fluids after purchasing the car. Honestly, I was worried someone didn't change them over the years so for a few $100's it was something fun to do and worthwhile. This winter all I've changed is the clutch fluid and the brake fluid. Buy yourself a fluid extractor and you can change the fluids fairly often and makes the jobs simple. I will replace the engine oil and filter before spring hits.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid change frequency

Quick Reply: Fluid change frequency