Is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Well said E. T. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by olbear1962:
chasboy (01-06-2017), Evil-Twin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting post.

ET:

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The OIL Life monitor logs cold starts, as one of the 7 discriminators to calculate the remaining oil life .
What are the other 6 discriminators of oil life?

Last edited by phoneman91; 01-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Be Careful who you listen to.

The C5 uses a thermostat to control how cold an engine will get. Typically 190F. The stat closes to ensure the engine does not get any colder. So if the engine is running at 190 F, and the internal combustion temp is 3500F. once the state opens the engine should never see temps below 190F, normally engine oil should be at 190F minimum . The LSX motor has a sweet spot, 190F to 200f for coolant and 200F to 210F oil.. Running coolant and oil at sub 190 F will cause shear, the oil will break down , specifically the oil additive package. The OIL Life monitor logs cold starts, as one of the 7 discriminators to calculate the remaining oil life .
Cold engines are a killer especially to this motor. While tuners will tell you , run a 160 stat, that won't give your motor the engine life is was designed to give you. It will allow a tuner to add spark advance, so you will be happy with the numbers they produce, they never tell you what the trade off is. As a GM engineer involved in this car, I can tell you you can choose HP or engine life, you can't have both. This motor will do 400K if you take car of it,, running a cold engine and a cold stat will give you more HP, when tuned at those temps but dramatically impact the engines longevity. both in lubricity, and in the breakdown of the additive package that actually protects the engine.

Run a 160 stat in the winter where outside temps can be 10*F and you will run the motor right into the ground.. Remember I said a stat controls how cold your motor gets, we saw sustained 160F, in Michigan with a 160 stat in the winter when doing 60 mph on the test track.

People think cold is good because tuners promote it.. Dave Hill wanted a 200,000 mile certified motor and in order to get there we had to increase the engine temp.

Peop[le live in the past where typically engine designs promoted a 180 stat and am idea heat transfer location for the radiator 2 feet from the road surface, not 6 inches like with the Y body.

OK this is about the 50th time in 16 years that Ive posted something like this... Its your choice a little more HP or a lot more longevity.

If you notice this motor was designed to run hot... DESIGNED to run HOT !.

Bill aka ET
Thanks for the info, that was really interesting to hear about from someone on the inside. I was aware the fan controls were set to let the motor run over 200 degrees while under load, and I was under the impression that had to do with eliminating carbon deposits. I didn't realize it played that much of a role in overall longevity... I've worked on a lot of different cars over the years, and I've always thought people who dumped on the LS1 were completely insane.

It's extremely powerful, extremely reliable and can support a ridiculous amount of mods... and gets better gas mileage than virtually any other performance engine out there. I know everyone wanted to see a DOHC because of the C4 ZR1's, but honestly you guys designed one of the best engine platforms in history. No one ever believes me at first when I point out that C5's and C6's get better gas mileage than S2000's, Z cars, BMW's, Lotuses and pretty much anything besides a miata, and at that point, yeah you've fallen out of the category of performance platform.

So thanks for the explanation
The following users liked this post:
Evil-Twin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:28 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Most of my previous cars ran at 160-180 so I was squeamish when I got the Corvette and saw temperatures between 190 and 210. Mostly 190 on highways. Thanks to this forum I can now relax when driving at these temperatures.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

low oil temp on start up is a computer glitch. Should reset in the diag at start up. Some times happens with O2 sensors as well.

exactly. Obviously after 30 minutes of driving the oil temp isn't still low, but that's what he's asking about.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Most of my previous cars ran at 160-180 so I was squeamish when I got the Corvette and saw temperatures between 190 and 210. Mostly 190 on highways. Thanks to this forum I can now relax when driving at these temperatures.
first mistake
Many people use past references when it comes to this car. This isn't your grandfather's Buick.

It runs hotter, needs special oil with a specific heat additive.
Needs the correct weight oil
Needs premium fuel
Attention needs to be made to the ac condenser and radiator for debris build up, should be cleaned once a year..
Needs attention to tire pressure, especially in months were Temps exceed 90* F.
Just a few tips

Bill aka ET
laurent_zo6 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Kevinl
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Learned a lot from this post, thanks everyone, especially ET👍
Evil-Twin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Be Careful who you listen to.

The C5 uses a thermostat to control how cold an engine will get. Typically 190F. The stat closes to ensure the engine does not get any colder. So if the engine is running at 190 F, and the internal combustion temp is 3500F. once the state opens the engine should never see temps below 190F, normally engine oil should be at 190F minimum . The LSX motor has a sweet spot, 190F to 200f for coolant and 200F to 210F oil.. Running coolant and oil at sub 190 F will cause shear, the oil will break down , specifically the oil additive package. The OIL Life monitor logs cold starts, as one of the 7 discriminators to calculate the remaining oil life .
Cold engines are a killer especially to this motor. While tuners will tell you , run a 160 stat, that won't give your motor the engine life is was designed to give you. It will allow a tuner to add spark advance, so you will be happy with the numbers they produce, they never tell you what the trade off is. As a GM engineer involved in this car, I can tell you you can choose HP or engine life, you can't have both. This motor will do 400K if you take car of it,, running a cold engine and a cold stat will give you more HP, when tuned at those temps but dramatically impact the engines longevity. both in lubricity, and in the breakdown of the additive package that actually protects the engine.

Run a 160 stat in the winter where outside temps can be 10*F and you will run the motor right into the ground.. Remember I said a stat controls how cold your motor gets, we saw sustained 160F, in Michigan with a 160 stat in the winter when doing 60 mph on the test track.

People think cold is good because tuners promote it.. Dave Hill wanted a 200,000 mile certified motor and in order to get there we had to increase the engine temp.

Peop[le live in the past where typically engine designs promoted a 180 stat and am idea heat transfer location for the radiator 2 feet from the road surface, not 6 inches like with the Y body.

OK this is about the 50th time in 16 years that Ive posted something like this... Its your choice a little more HP or a lot more longevity.

If you notice this motor was designed to run hot... DESIGNED to run HOT !.

Bill aka ET
Hello Bill, just a short note to express my thanks in giving freely of your vast experience and knowledge regarding our C5's. Can't tell you how much I value that and I'm sure the forum feels the same. Once again, thanks for you time and insight! Hope your well, take care!
Evil-Twin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM
bruceg2016
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
Hello Bill, just a short note to express my thanks in giving freely of your vast experience and knowledge regarding our C5's. Can't tell you how much I value that and I'm sure the forum feels the same. Once again, thanks for you time and insight! Hope your well, take care!
good information
Evil-Twin (01-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Is this ok?