Sponsored by:

Not quite overheating but she's getting HOT on idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:00 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not quite overheating but she's getting HOT on idle

Hey guys, I've been having some problems with my '03 Z06 but right now the problem that worries me most is when sitting at a red light the temp creeps up from mid 190's to 230 in about 2 minutes but then drops back down to high 200's. It does this every time I stop for more than a few seconds like as mentioned, a red light or even drive throughs. Now I know it's not technically overheating but that's definitely running hotter than it ever has before I decided to drain and refill my coolant using 50/50 DEXCOOL and distilled water about a week ago. Prior to this, temps would be from 190 moving to around 217 stopped so I don't know why it gets so hot so fast now but takes so long to start cooling back down. As soon as I start moving the temp quickly goes back down to high 190's. This is all coolant temp btw. The radiator fans are spinning but for some reason it seems quieter than usual...I could be wrong though. My brother said when I drained and filled the coolant I could have introduced air in the system causing the temps to rise so quick on idle. Also, in case it's related (I don't think it is but I want to include as much info as possible) my climate control fan stopped working at about the same time.

Please help me get to the bottom of this as I am NOT trying to grenade my beautiful LS6 that I've never had any issues with previously. All help and advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Have you ever cleaned out your radiator and A/C condenser?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM
moekluse
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you bleed it properly? If you did not bleed all the air out correctly, it will cause overheating.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
bradley21ss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it too
Old 09-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Esser
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My C5 did the same thing. After I cleaned out my radiator and condenser, my temps dropped about 20 degrees. I rarely see it go over 200 now.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Vanover
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Esser
My C5 did the same thing. After I cleaned out my radiator and condenser, my temps dropped about 20 degrees. I rarely see it go over 200 now.
same here
Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanover

same here
Another one for radiator/condenser clean out.

I had been doing this with a brush from underneath and was having even worse overheating than the original poster.

Also, it would overheat with the A/C on, even at highway speeds.

Finally, I removed the shroud cap and got behind the radiator with a piece of tubing that I drilled holes in attached to my compressor and blew quite a bit of debris out of it and the condenser.

So far my Temps have not gone above 217. It has not been near as hot but I've run my A/C and that hasn't caused any problems.

It's looking good,so far.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,419 Likes on 14,038 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

with all the above. Make sure you have no air in the cooling system and clean out the radiator area. Those things should help bring down the coolant temp of the car.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:02 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

All good advice above. You can also turn on your AC in traffic to cool down motor.

Vendor on Forum sells a high speed fan controller (also wireless):
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/HardWireCoolit.html

To clean my radiator, I use this: https://www.radiatorgenie.com
Just make sure to not get too close to the radiator fins.

Here is the info from manual:
Factory temp settings are low speed on at 226 degrees and off at 219 degrees. High speed on at 235 degrees and revert to low speed at 226 degrees. As stated both fans run at low speed and high speed and fans are commanded off by the PCM when the vehicle speed exceeds 35mph.
You can force low speed operation at 185 degrees by turning on the AC. High speed operation with AC on is still 235 degrees.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
You can also turn on your AC in traffic to cool down motor.
I thought it was turn on the heater ... or, turn off the A/C.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 AM
BlackbirdXX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, low fan was shot, baked the stock radiator, changed to an ACP (dont bash me) added passive trans cooler, 170 in 70 degree weather, 196 in 100 degree weather and trans never tops 180 actually runs cooler then engine passing through coolant. 2 years no issues.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
On the C5 with the AC on the low speed cooling fans will come on at 185 degrees coolant temp. Without the AC off the factory set point for low speed cooling fans is 226 degrees. So turning on the AC can reduce the coolant temp at vehicle speeds below 35mph.
OMG! This has to be it! Thanks for that info, I had no idea about that and it totally makes sense because my A/C blower stopped working so I haven't used the A/C since and that's exactly when I started noticing my temps creep up to 228 in traffic!
I will also clean out the condenser and radiator too to see if that does anything but the engine bay is pretty immaculate but it's definitely something that shouldn't be overlooked so thanks for the suggestion guys.
Last question, how do you get the air out of the coolant system? I just drained it at the white plastic radiator drain plug and filled with 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water so idk how differently I could do it to make sure there is no air in the system.

After being such an import enthusiast for so long thinking they are far easier to work with than American cars I found this lovely car to be just as easy if not easier than anything else! I love my Corvette and am so fortunate to own one and can't think of driving anything else but it doesn't end there, even the community comes together in such a way I've never seen before on the import scene. Thanks guys, and thanks to Chevy for producing by far the best bang for the buck in not just numbers but driver satisfaction and ease of working with.

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 11-02-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Have you ever cleaned out your radiator and A/C condenser?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOhhSeven
OMG! This has to be it! Thanks for that info, I had no idea about that and it totally makes sense because my A/C blower stopped working so I haven't used the A/C since and that's exactly when I started noticing my temps creep up to 228 in traffic!
I will also clean out the condenser and radiator too to see if that does anything but the engine bay is pretty immaculate but it's definitely something that shouldn't be overlooked so thanks for the suggestion guys.
Last question, how do you get the air out of the coolant system? I just drained it at the white plastic radiator drain plug and filled with 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water so idk how differently I could do it to make sure there is no air in the system.

After being such an import enthusiast for so long thinking they are far easier to work with than American cars I found this lovely car to be just as easy if not easier than anything else! I love my Corvette and am so fortunate to own one and can't think of driving anything else but it doesn't end there, even the community comes together in such a way I've never seen before on the import scene. Thanks guys, and thanks to Chevy for producing by far the best bang for the buck in not just numbers but driver satisfaction and ease of working with.
Take off rad. cap and start car--see if it burps when warned alittle--out cap back on and drive--might have to do this afew times but all air will be out of system--let us know

Get notified of new replies

To Not quite overheating but she's getting HOT on idle

Quick Reply: Not quite overheating but she's getting HOT on idle