Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Jay Bizzal
Ok guys im looking for advice on who to go to for my alignment. I am anticipating that im going to need atleast 1 tierod end and 1 wheel bearing replaced. With that being said would it be better for me to go with the local dealer? Or my local tire shop i go to? Are there any special things that need to be done when replacing wheel bearings or tierod ends that i should eat the cost of the stealership on or will i be ok going to my local tire shop? They also have a secondary shop next door that they do major automotive repairs at so they arent just your regular tire guys. Me doing the work is out of the question at this point as i just had my car on stand for several weekends doing headers intake and other misc jobs. At this point im ready to pay a professional to have the alignment work done.
Thoughts?

OP, You probably already know this, but for those newer C5 owners who may not:

Be certain that whatever shop works on your C5 for whatever reason, that they know 'how to properly lift a C5 Corvette'! Do not just assume that they do! There are guys working at some shops, who don't know the difference between a Buick and a Corvette, as to lifting it.

I avoided damage to my Car once, because I refused to just 'go sit in the lounge until someone came to get me'. I watched, and they had no clue what they were doing. This was a major Tire chain of stores, all across the country, which should have known better. But, you just can't assume that, ever.

Do not just give them the keys, and go sit in the waiting area. Watch, to ensure they know where the lift pucks go (depending on the type of lift of course) and the work you're having done. They can cause severe damage, if they do it wrong.

Once you have a shop your familiar with, and you know they know Corvette, then stay with them, as is possible.

Don
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my 2004 Coupe aligned 3 times at local tire shops and had severe inside tire wear. I finally took it to my dealer and they knew exactly what the issue was. The specs tire shops follow are for aggressive driving. My dealer used less aggressive specs and my tires now wear evenly. I will admit the car does not handle as sharply as before but buying new tires every 15K miles was ridiculous.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by craig04c5
I had my 2004 Coupe aligned 3 times at local tire shops and had severe inside tire wear. I finally took it to my dealer and they knew exactly what the issue was. The specs tire shops follow are for aggressive driving. My dealer used less aggressive specs and my tires now wear evenly. I will admit the car does not handle as sharply as before but buying new tires every 15K miles was ridiculous.

Yes, I go to an alignment shop, that specializes in Sports cars, and performance race cars.

My first visit, Chris asked me how I drive my car, do i track it a lot, do I want a Performance alignment, or a Neutral alignment. He knew everything about Corvette.

It does indeed, make a difference where you go, as you said.

Don
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Jay Bizzal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the posts guys, i think im gonna go with my local tire shop that ive gone to for quite a few things. Ive talked to a few of the techs (just casually as they mounted and balance my tires) last time i went there. I feel as if they will take care of me and also wont charge an arm n leg. I can chill outside and watch them do the work if i please, so i can "keep them honest," if i please. Only problem with that is im having the rear wheel bearings replaced and itll be a rather lengthy job to sit and wait for on a weekday that i can be working. Ill keep ya guys posted

Quick Reply: Alignment: Dealer vs Tire shop