Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?

The previous owner of our C5 installed a Hurst short throw shifter. I don't mind the shifter but don't like that big white cue ball for a ****, and my g/f doesn't like it at all. It's too Bubba for her.

I found a guy selling a stock shifter, ****, and boot.

Has anyone actually gone BACK to a stock shifter from a short throw? I haven't driven a C5 with a factory shifter so I don't know what it really feels like. TBH, short throws don't matter to me.

Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can get a nicer **** for the Hurst short throw by all means post it. I can't seem to find any. Hate that big cue ball, lol.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Hurst has the stock 9/16"-18 thread that the stock **** uses so you can install any stock or aftermarket **** that was designed for the C5. I have had a few different ***** on mine and I ran a Hurst for a few years before switching over to the MGW which is even better than the Hurst.

IMO, going back to the stock shifter will be like going from a steel shaft to a wet noodle. I would just swap ***** and leave the Hurst.

Here are a few of pics of ***** I had on my Hurst.

Adapted an F-body Hurst ****

A C6 **** a vendor adapted to fit the C5 thread

MGW race ****

Momo **** designed for the C5 thread
Old 09-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

It would be like going back to wheels made of stone !!!!!
I have MGW and love the feel of a round **** (I am old school)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Hurst has the stock 9/16"-18 thread that the stock **** uses so you can install any stock or aftermarket **** that was designed for the C5. I have had a few different ***** on mine and I ran a Hurst for a few years before switching over to the MGW which is even better than the Hurst.

IMO, going back to the stock shifter will be like going from a steel shaft to a wet noodle. I would just swap ***** and leave the Hurst.

Stock shifters really do suck.... as Patches said, you're better of just replacing the shifter ****.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:57 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The completely stock shifter sits higher has long throws, and IMO the **** looks like it came off a truck. A lot of us are running shortened stock shifters - we just extend the 9/16 18tpi thread and add a **** to choice. Poor man's Hurst.....

Given you have a Hurst installed, I would go with Patches' advice - just buy a new ****. I like that modded F body **** in the picture. May go and find one of those. I think (maybe Patches can confirm, that the Momo **** rides a bit higher? I think you have to buy a **** and an adapter - least that's what I gleaned from their web site.
The following users liked this post:
deejbee (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Just pick up a stock shift **** and be done with it. A Hurst was the FIRST mod I ever did to my C5 and I kept the stock shift **** on it. Don't put the demon key back in it either and you should be rattle free also.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

FYI, the f-body **** above is one I adapted myself with an insert I designed and pressed into it. The bore is much larger than the C5 shifter shaft.

I eliminated the two ends of this adapter to shorten it as they were unnecessary.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 PM
deejbee
Racer

Thanks everyone for the posts.
I am going to stick with the Hurst short throw and look for a different k ***.

Patches, you could sell those. That is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Go to Twistedshifterz.com and order a smaller ball, that's what I did. Mines about the size of a golf ball.

Hurst **** is 2 1/4, you want a 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 ****.

I put my stock shifter back in after I cut an inch off and rethreaded it along with the Anti-Venom mod....I like it.

https://www.twistedshifterzlive.com/...te-shfit-*****

https://www.twistedshifterzlive.com/...-c5-shift-****

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-09-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Go to Twistedshifterz.com and order a smaller ball, that's what I did. Mines about the size of a golf ball.

Hurst **** is 2 1/4, you want a 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 ****.

I put my stock shifter back in after I cut an inch off and rethreaded it along with the Anti-Venom mod....I like it.

https://www.twistedshifterzlive.com/...te-shfit-*****

https://www.twistedshifterzlive.com/...-c5-shift-****
Pretty much exactly what I did. TwistedShifterz 1 7/8" ****, shaft cut down around 1 1/4"

A wee bit hotter when I took this picture a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 PM
deejbee
Racer

Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions.
I am thinking of buying the following k *** in the picture below. It is a modded C6 shift **** so it fits a C5.
Does anyone have experience with it?
Does it thread on straight? I want the 1,3,6,R at 12 oclock and 2,4,6 at 6 o'clock.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Uhmm, look up at my post with all the **** pics - one of those is a modified C6 **** I ran for a while. It's a great ****. A guy on eBay sells those with a plastic insert that you screw onto the C5 shaft. The threads on the shaft cut threads into the plastic sleeve and lock it onto the shaft. The **** on my C7 is similar to the C6 **** but is even better.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patches
Uhmm, look up at my post with all the **** pics - one of those is a modified C6 **** I ran for a while. It's a great ****. A guy on eBay sells those with a plastic insert that you screw onto the C5 shaft. The threads on the shaft cut threads into the plastic sleeve and lock it onto the shaft. The **** on my C7 is similar to the C6 **** but is even better.

Not to hijack the OP's thread but I have to know ??? C 7 80% and the C 5 20% (driving time)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by akapounder
Not to hijack the OP's thread but I have to know ??? C 7 80% and the C 5 20% (driving time)
For now, it's the C7 100% - it's my daily driver and the C5 is in metamorphosis on my lift.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^ I feel so bad for you (not really) You sure do fine work !!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:24 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I switched mine back to the stock shifter, with a Hurst T-handle, and it works great. Much easier to shift IMO. The main difference between stock and short, simply comes down to having different pivot points, or shaft lengths. The shorter the travel the more force it takes. It's just a lever to control the shifter inside the transmission on the other end of the shift rod. You can still shift it as fast as you want with the stock one. It just seems faster with the short one is all. You could have a shifter with 1 inch of travel, but you would need 2 hands to move it, and little feedback to it's position.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I switched mine back to the stock shifter, with a Hurst T-handle, and it works great. Much easier to shift IMO. The main difference between stock and short, simply comes down to having different pivot points, or shaft lengths. The shorter the travel the more force it takes. It's just a lever to control the shifter inside the transmission on the other end of the shift rod. You can still shift it as fast as you want with the stock one. It just seems faster with the short one is all. You could have a shifter with 1 inch of travel, but you would need 2 hands to move it, and little feedback to it's position.
There is a whole lot more to a MGW than a shorter stick. If you saw the assembly in real time you would know what I am talking about. It's no wonder that people who have them, rave about them !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:16 AM
wvufan1965
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to stock from a Kirbin. Two things that have changed my approach to shifts since i went back to the stock one, 1- i no longer shift at redline but instead changed my shift points to peak torque and HP intersect RPMs according to my dyno sheet. 2 - the stock shifter requires less effort than I was initially applying to the process.

By decreasing my applied force to changing gears I have actually increased my shifting speed and efficiency. 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 i simply cup the shift **** loosely with my fingers leaving space between my palm pulling the shifter towards me. It goes right where it should with very little effort. 2-3 and 4-5 i use the base of my palm to just push the shifter, (I never grip the sifter at all with my full hand in any gear shift) again it goes right where it should. no missed shifts or anything.

As with anything in this hobby of ours, there will always be different approaches and/or opinions about what is right or how it should be done. What I believe is find what works for YOU and go with it. No one may agree with my approach and that is perfectly fine. it works for me. just providing food for thought. best wishes to you.

Last edited by wvufan1965; 09-10-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

Going back to OEM after having a short shifter is like trying to put a turd back in your *** after taking a dump. Strictly IMO.

Last edited by Studying4boards; 09-10-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

I put a Hurst shifter in my C-5, back in 2002. After fiddling with the various adjustments that can be made to it, I found a feel that I love, and wouldn't trade it for anything else. With regard to the shift ****, I bought a Kirban Performance Products shift ****, p/n KPP 1317, through Corvette parts supplier Zip Products. It was sold as Zip's p/n ST-422.

Quick Reply: Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?