Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:06 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Be very careful when looking at Ebay shift **** vendors. There are a lot of them saying their **** will fit our cars, yet when you look at their detailed info, they have a totally different thread. 9/16 x 18tpi is what is needed. The other thing I have noticed is vendors selling Hurst ***** at above Hurst prices - so be careful.

What I did was threaded my stock shift lever all the way down to the insulator, then cut the shaft down enough to allow the **** to be hard up against the leather shifter cover. About as short as I could get. Next step would have been to rework the top of the leather cover so the **** could go right up against the insulator, but I would probably screw it up.......

Shift effort is not at all high (no anti venom mod); all in all I am well pleased.

Last edited by jackthelad; 09-10-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
There is a whole lot more to a MGW than a shorter stick. If you saw the assembly in real time you would know what I am talking about. It's no wonder that people who have them, rave about them !!!!
The MGW is a work of engineering art - I'm an ME and this is how I like to see mechanisms designed, machined and finished. MGW takes great pride in all aspects of their products. I have the standard round shaft version in my C7 and I have a flat-stick version going in my C5.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
The MGW is a work of engineering art - I'm an ME and this is how I like to see mechanisms designed, machined and finished. MGW takes great pride in all aspects of their products. I have the standard round shaft version in my C7 and I have a flat-stick version going in my C5.

As soon as I received mine I called George and complimented him on his fine work, and how nice it was to see such pride in someones work.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:04 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would buy a MGW now!!! But, only if it had closer to the stock ratio. It's a great piece other than that. You need leverage to shift these cars fast.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I would buy a MGW now!!! But, only if it had closer to the stock ratio. It's a great piece other than that. You need leverage to shift these cars fast.
The MGW is more about precision and less about reducing travel so the increase in effort is not that significant. I use the MGW because the stock shifter is sloppy and rubbery and I tend to miss gears more than I like. The precision of the MGW feels like a high-quality rifle bolt sliding into place - no slop. My C7 is a joy to shift and, after a few weeks of breaking in the MGW, I can shift it with ease because of the smooth precision. You have to try a properly adjusted MGW that's broken in to really appreciate how much it adds to the driving experience.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

The MGW is more about precision and less about reducing travel so the increase in effort is not that significant. I use the MGW because the stock shifter is sloppy and rubbery and I tend to miss gears more than I like. The precision of the MGW feels like a high-quality rifle bolt sliding into place - no slop. My C7 is a joy to shift and, after a few weeks of breaking in the MGW, I can shift it with ease because of the smooth precision. You have to try a properly adjusted MGW that's broken in to really appreciate how much it adds to the driving experience.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I'm curious how an MGW stacks up to a older black and gold Hurst model which is what I have. I LOVE my hurst, especially with the stock C5 shift ****, but have always felt it took a bit too much force and was slightly too notchy. Even after the TR6060, same feel.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fastbird
I'm curious how an MGW stacks up to a older black and gold Hurst model which is what I have. I LOVE my hurst, especially with the stock C5 shift ****, but have always felt it took a bit too much force and was slightly too notchy. Even after the TR6060, same feel.
I switched from a Hurst to the first-gen MGW in my C5 a few years ago and the change in feel was noticeable. Not dramatic but enough to have made it worth it. The newest version is even better because it replaces the lower box as well.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:48 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

The stock C5 shifter is just about the worst thing on the car, in my humble opinion, MGW going in soon. Best wishes!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by friou
The stock C5 shifter is just about the worst thing on the car, in my humble opinion, MGW going in soon. Best wishes!
After the column lock fix,(the first day) and not knowing what gear I was going to end up in, I ordered the MGW with the lower box,and since then upgraded to the flat stick. Which made it even better, I think because it put the shifter in a better position for me. I did not want to spend that amount of money but one of the biggest reasons I bought a Corvette is because I missed a manual shift car, and I wanted it to shift like I expected it to !!!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Z06-FIX
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Studying4boards
Going back to OEM after having a short shifter is like trying to put a turd back in your *** after taking a dump. Strictly IMO.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

MGW shifter , coupled with a z06 trans, and an LS7 clutch are the best mods I have done so far..
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I switched from hurst to stock and I am quite happy. To be honest the hurst shifter is not a upgrade. Shorter throw yes but not better
Old 09-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I switched from hurst to stock and I am quite happy. To be honest the hurst shifter is not a upgrade. Shorter throw yes but not better
Totally subjective opinion. I think 95% of the time the opposite will be said.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:13 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Id find a different **** or if you really don't like the existing shifter, drop in one from a C6.

If you really want to go back to a stock C5 shifter, PM me.
I replaced mine last weekend, so I have the complete shifter, boot and **** just sitting in a box.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I track my car, I heel/toe downshift the same with the stock cut down shifter with the Anti-Venom mod as I did with the Hurst.

The Hurst rattles its *** off, I called Hurst, after navigating all the bullshit to get a Hurst guy on the phone...he told me he wasn't aware of the rattling issue LMFAO.

When I called them back, a different guy answered the phone and was well aware of the issue.

I have played endlessly with the Hurst to stop the rattle, wrapped the handle with sound deadening, glued the ****, packed it with grease.....I pulled it out and it's for sale.

I would bet the all the cars that have the "Hurst rattle" have had a clutch change, mine started a slight vibration after the clutch change which is what causes the rattle.

It's just a shifter, not a cure for cancer.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-11-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

The Hurst developed a rep for rattling when they first came out - but other am shifters did as well. With the correct isolator and **** setup, I was able to completely eliminate the rattle.

None of the MGW shifters I've run have ever rattled out of the box and I have not heard complaints on this board about noise with the MGW.

Get notified of new replies

To Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?

Old 09-11-2016, 12:59 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

The Hurst developed a rep for rattling when they first came out - but other am shifters did as well. With the correct isolator and **** setup, I was able to completely eliminate the rattle.

None of the MGW shifters I've run have ever rattled out of the box and I have not heard complaints on this board about noise with the MGW.
Hurst isolator? What Isolator?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:22 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
Maybe the seats are worse but either way a good shifter like MGW is an excellent upgrade. I love mine with the race ****.

Name:  shifter1.JPG
Views: 473
Size:  238.6 KB
Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Totally subjective opinion. I think 95% of the time the opposite will be said.
It is my opinion yes and regardless of how many like it or how many hate it I still think that the c5 hurst shifter is a price of trash.

Quick Reply: Going from Hurst short shifter BACK to stock shifter - thoughts?