Sponsored by:

So what's your excuse, again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,068 Likes on 2,041 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
I love to shift and I don't care if it's bumper to bumper traffic, it is the ONLY way I would have a vette. The vette is a fun car and a manual for me adds so much more fun !!!
Exactly

Maybe all cars should be manual ??? lot less texting and what have you going on !!!
Great idea!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I attended the Pikes Peak hill climb this year. Sam Schmidt, a quadriplegic, had a special equipped C-7 Z06 (automatic) rigged for him to drive up the mountain. Because he had no way to shift the car into "drive", he had a passenger that did that task for him. Robbie Unser was the passenger.

Sam was injured in the year 2000, at Indy.
He signed his posters by holding the pen in his mouth.
What a great attitude tis guy has.

I have a handicapped plate on my vette (yes I'm entitled to have one, from numerous back injuries), however I only use the handicapped parking spaces on days when the pain of walking is just too much. My Vettes are both autos, not because I couldn't use a stick, but at my age and situation of life I simply prefer automatics. (I do still enjoy driving one of my buddies sticks once in awhile though.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:03 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Maybe all cars should be manual ??? lot less texting and what have you going on !!!
I like your thinking process hypotheticals. I would certainly like to see peoples focus on "actually" driving then distracted with mobile devices and contemporary automotive offerings that have become an extension of a home entertainment system.

Manual transmissions are great and overall I "prefer" it but, that's my opinion. My C5 has a 6-speed and I love it but, I don't drive it everyday. The C4 I have is equipped with an automatic and that was one of the biggest reasons I bought it. Depends on the car, and what I plan to use it for when deciding on transmission choices. I look at this way, I could care less what people decide on what they prefer for transmission choices, it's their car, and their choice, and people have to have a sense a confidence when their driving. No sense in driving a manual because it's the thing to have, or peer pressure if you can't operate it correctly.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

While we are at it, let's really get back to basics. Anyone ready for a non synchromesh 'box? When I was young I drove a lot of (older) trucks and vintage cars. Combine that kind of tranny with poor braking capabilities capabilities and you very quickly learn to focus on your driving and anticipate traffic. Probably why to this day, I get really high mileage out of brake pads.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

There is no way I'm buying a manual for any daily driving duty. For anyone that laughs or can't understand, it's obvious you haven't driven in 7a, 8a, 9a, 4p, 5p, or 6p traffic on any highway or tollroads in the DFW metroplex. Before you say that's only the weekdays, then it's obvious you haven't driven on any of our highways or tollroads on a Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have driven both manual and auto as dd over the past 30+ years - mostly manual. My current dd is a manual 7-speed C7 and the many times over the past 6 months I have gotten in SoCal bumper-to-bumper traffic for 2-3 hours, yes, I have made it home but I sometimes wonder how smart a choice it was. My previous dd Mini Cooper S with a paddle-shift 6-speed auto was almost the perfect thrifty-but-fun dd but I always wanted to dd a Vette and so the C7 and I refused to buy another auto Vette.

To each, his own, I don't judge anyone's dd choice as I am not them and I don't know what their commute is like.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

I drive a manual corvette because my wife cannot.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrwirsi:
friou (07-31-2016), Sam Handwich (08-04-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

AT 67 yr 'young', and a motorhead most of my adult life, I've had so many manual transmission vehicles that I can't remember how many.
My first three Vettes were M/T.
Camaros, SS Nova, and more.

But "THIS" Corvette, THIS C5, caught my eye so dramatically, I didn't even LOOK at the transmission aspect. I just BOUGHT IT....

Been driving the HELL OUTTA IT SINCE.

Y'know what? I'm 'liking' the A/T.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:56 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Again guys, this isn't a this vs that thread, just really cool to see the guy not giving up what he wanted.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbgoodwin:
friou (07-31-2016), Pounder (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 05:25 PM
germanc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It would be nice to have the advantages of both without the disadvantages of either.
I miss the stick sometimes. I'm just not in a good area for it. I'm in a traffic area that takes the fun right out of shifting. If I move to the country I may regret the auto.

My reaction time is quicker coming out of a fish tail with an auto. You just let off the gas.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought an automatic because at age 56+, I know the days of me being able to competitively bracket-race (where consistency, not all-out performance is king) a car that needs to be loaded / unloaded from a trailer are dwindling:
when the day comes that I can't tow my Z28 anymore, I'll throw my brain-bucket, cooler, and a lawn chair into the C5, and take my chances with the young'uns
Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02

My reaction time is quicker coming out of a fish tail with an auto. You just let off the gas.
And this is how people wreck rear wheel drive cars
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
And this is how people wreck rear wheel drive cars
I don't spin my tires but if I wanted to, they won't !!! I have AH and TC and for 99% of the time they are on !!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 PM
93 lt1 vette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Again guys, this isn't a this vs that thread, just really cool to see the guy not giving up what he wanted.
I spend 45 mins everyday in bump to bumper traffic getting on a large military base. My 93 vette is an auto. My 04 is a 6 speed and it is my daily driver. Rowing the gears with bad knees and hip is still better than the auto.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I love to shift and I don't care if it's bumper to bumper traffic, it is the ONLY way I would have a vette. The thing is I do drive a truck with a Auto and that's fine for that vehicle. The vette is a fun car and a manual for me adds so much more fun !!!
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've had my left knee replaced TWICE! (I wore the first one out) and there's no way I'd get another auto vette. My Peterbilt is an automatic, though. No fun shifting gears there.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I have a Marine buddy that is missing both legs. He does so well on the prosthetic legs that people tend to not notice his condition. My girlfriend didn't believe me when I told her about him. One day I asked him to pull up his pant leg and show her.

The thing is you don't have pain or feeling in a fake leg. As much pain or dysfunction people may have in their knee shin ankle or foot you don't want it amputated. You work with what you have.

Thank all of you Veterans for your heroic service.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (07-31-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To So what's your excuse, again?

Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
It would be nice to have the advantages of both without the disadvantages of either.
I miss the stick sometimes. I'm just not in a good area for it. I'm in a traffic area that takes the fun right out of shifting. If I move to the country I may regret the auto.

The first brand new car I owned, was a Chevelle SS454. I got a deal on it, because it was a "year end left-over". I didn't really pay close attention to the window sticker, and didn't test drive it, because it was sitting in the dealer's show room. I simply decided to buy it.

Well, it didn't have power steering, and the clutch pedal practically took both feet, to push in. It was my only car at the time, because it took all the money I had to purchase it. I kept it just under two years, finally trading it off for a car with power steering and an automatic transmission.

28 years later, with a few other cars in between, I bought my Corvette. Yes, my C-5 is a 6 speed manual, but it wasn't a DD at the time I bought it (I'm retired, now), so I sort of enjoyed rowing the gears. However, finding out how much trouble it is, to replace the clutch in one of these, should something go wrong, I shift it VERY carefully............
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM
BlackandTan2004
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting thread. Mine is an Auto because ultimately my wife and I thought that was the best decision given her inability to drive a manual. This was also part of the motivation for me to initially look at C6's because I could kind of have the best of both worlds w/ paddle shift. C5 six speeds are super easy to drive (so I hear) and she could have easily learned, but I wasn't able to sell her on that idea. I have never owned a manual because the vast majority of vehicles I have had are late model half tons and none of which could be purchased in a manual configuration.

Last edited by BlackandTan2004; 08-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

I bought what i bought because it was what i wanted. I don't need to explain to anyone why i do what i do when it comes to my car.

Quick Reply: So what's your excuse, again?