Sponsored by:

Windshield washer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:11 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield washer

Anybody have the pump on this just quit? I looked for the fuse in the owners manual and it seems the same fuse protects the fluid pump as does the windshield wipers themselves. They work just fine.
Did a search here, couldn't find any mention. I have the shop manuals, I don't see the pump itself so I assume it is under some other component.

Todd
Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,392 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting it repaired.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:23 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Just a theory of mine............I think that sometimes the w/w pumps "go bad", from lack of use. For instance, I owned a '77 Pontiac T/A for over 20 years. The car was never driven in winter, and seldom in inclement weather. Therefore, the washers were hardly, if ever used. One day, when the car was about 12-14 years old, I tried them, and they didn't work. I replaced the pump, and then they worked. I think the pump had simply dried out, due to not being used.

My current 'Vette, lives the same type of life as the T/A did, so a couple times a year, while I'm getting ready to wash the car, I'll cycle the washers a couple of times, just to get fluid moving through the system. Then I rinse the w/w fluid off the car, and continue with my wash.....
Old 06-11-2016, 11:34 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 187 Posts

It is an easy fix. Pull the reservoir and remove the pump. Put 12v to it and see if it works. When not used much the fluid dries out and leaves a residue clogging up the works. New pump about $15 at AutoLand.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes I agree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just a theory of mine............I think that sometimes the w/w pumps "go bad", from lack of use. For instance, I owned a '77 Pontiac T/A for over 20 years. The car was never driven in winter, and seldom in inclement weather. Therefore, the washers were hardly, if ever used. One day, when the car was about 12-14 years old, I tried them, and they didn't work. I replaced the pump, and then they worked. I think the pump had simply dried out, due to not being used.

My current 'Vette, lives the same type of life as the T/A did, so a couple times a year, while I'm getting ready to wash the car, I'll cycle the washers a couple of times, just to get fluid moving through the system. Then I rinse the w/w fluid off the car, and continue with my wash.....
I agree completely. I rarely drive mine in the rain and I usually clean the windshield once a week by hand anyway. Hardly ever use it. Probably some dried up seal.

Todd
Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Great point. I checked once to see if the wipers worked. The washer may of Never been used. Guess I should try it..
Old 04-15-2021, 02:05 PM
NC 901
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer pump won't cut off.

I had to unplug my washer fluid pump because it wouldn't stop pumping. It was spraying fluid on the windshield while driving and the wipers weren't even on. Then a "low washer fluid" warning light came on (of course). Also had to disable the washer fluid check switch to keep that from showing up while driving. Does anyone know a cause and fix for this? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:11 PM
WetMountainMan
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default washer fluid low on DIC

Originally Posted by NC 901
I had to unplug my washer fluid pump because it wouldn't stop pumping. It was spraying fluid on the windshield while driving and the wipers weren't even on. Then a "low washer fluid" warning light came on (of course). Also had to disable the washer fluid check switch to keep that from showing up while driving. Does anyone know a cause and fix for this? Thanks.
My low washer fluid warning notice keeps coming on at startup. How did you disable the washerfluid check switch, where is it? The tank is full.

Last edited by WetMountainMan; 09-11-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: found the answer
Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by WetMountainMan
My low washer fluid warning notice keeps coming on at startup. How did you disable the washerfluid check switch, where is it? The tank is full.
———
Unplug the sensor on the back of the washer fluid reservoir.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer

Quick Reply: Windshield washer