Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 not using all available gas???????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 not using all available gas???????

Still new to the forum and to the C5.
I have a strange issue. My new to me C5, when it reaches just under 3/4 of a tank the gauge goes to E all at once.
The C5 has a 19.5 gallon fuel tank.
So today I and riding knowing I had plenty of gas. After a couple hundred miles I ran completely out of gas.
I knew there was no way I had burned 19.5 gallons.
Luckily and gas station was close by and had to push it to the pump.
I could only put 12 gallons in it.
My questions start with, Has anyone else had this issue? This is more than the typical C5 Gauge problem.
I know there is a lot of knowledge here so I am looking to you guys for direction. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:00 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I, and many others have this problem. In a nut shell, the C5 has saddle tanks. Each tank has a gauge. When the two sending units from the gauges sends their data to the computer, and they don't match, the computer sends the gas gauge to "No Gas."

Some people have reported success in fixing the problem by removing the passenger side wheel, wheel well, and cleaning the contacts on the sending unit. I've heard that others have had success fixing the problem by putting 20 oz of Techron in the gas tank just before filling up the tank. I tried that and it didn't work for me. The 20 oz bottle is available at Auto Zone, and other parts houses.

If you find another easy fix, me and a bunch of other people will appreciate your telling us about it.

I went to the dealer and they told me that I could spend thousands of dollars on trying to fix it, and not really getting it fixed.

I've never had my car quit running when the gauge went to the zero. I've driven it further than 20 miles before I gave in and stopped the car at a gas station, and took a ten minute break. When I restart the car, the gauge works for awhile and then it goes to zero again. The speed I drive doesn't seem to make a difference.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:32 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Search the forum, there are a bunch of threads about fuel tank/gage problems.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kabluie
I, and many others have this problem. In a nut shell, the C5 has saddle tanks. Each tank has a gauge. When the two sending units from the gauges sends their data to the computer, and they don't match, the computer sends the gas gauge to "No Gas."

Some people have reported success in fixing the problem by removing the passenger side wheel, wheel well, and cleaning the contacts on the sending unit. I've heard that others have had success fixing the problem by putting 20 oz of Techron in the gas tank just before filling up the tank. I tried that and it didn't work for me. The 20 oz bottle is available at Auto Zone, and other parts houses.

If you find another easy fix, me and a bunch of other people will appreciate your telling us about it.

I went to the dealer and they told me that I could spend thousands of dollars on trying to fix it, and not really getting it fixed.

I've never had my car quit running when the gauge went to the zero. I've driven it further than 20 miles before I gave in and stopped the car at a gas station, and took a ten minute break. When I restart the car, the gauge works for awhile and then it goes to zero again. The speed I drive doesn't seem to make a difference.
Thanks for the info and I will try the somewhat easier fixes first and see how it goes. I actually drove about 2 hundred miles after the gauge went to E. Usually if I fill up when it falls to E it only takes 5-6 gallons to refill. Today it took 12 but it completely ran out of gas. I just wonder where the other 7.5 gallons of gas o am suppose to have is at.

Last edited by Marvin-n-NC; 05-28-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You are of course aware that the C5 has two tanks, one on each side of the car behind the driver and passenger. There is a cross over tube at the top that connects the two so that when filling the tanks the drivers side fills first and then the passenger side. There is one electric fuel pump and that is in the drivers side tank. It feeds the engine and also sends a small stream of fuel into a jet siphon pump that is in the passenger tank. That small stream of gas produces a siphon action that transfers gas from the passenger tank into the drivers tank so that effectively the passenger tank empties first. There are two fuel sensors, one in each tank. The computer has an algorythm that produces a fairly accurate fuel gauge reading when things are working normally but all bets are OFF when the drivers tank empties and the passenger tank does not.

If you pull your codes you will find a PCM code that indicates the problem.

Sounds like the jet siphon pump is plugged up. A somewhat common problem. As long as the car is NOT a mid model year 2003 or later, replacement of the jet syphon is not difficult. You would need to empty the passenger tank (messy but possible), remove the jet syphon pump by removing the access panel on the lower back side of the passenger tank and install a new siphon pump assembly.
Thanks for the information and the advice. It sounds like the siphon pump is a good place to start. The car is a 2000 model.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvin-n-NC
Thanks for the info and I will try the somewhat easier fixes first and see how it goes. I actually drove about 2 hundred miles after the gauge went to E. Usually if I fill up when it falls to E it only takes 5-6 gallons to refill. Today it took 12 but it completely ran out of gas. I just wonder where the other 7.5 gallons of gas o am suppose to have is at.
If the siphon pump were out, I doubt you could have driven 200 miles! Sounds to me like the sensor contacts are fowled on one or both sensors. I would try a couple tanks of Techron first (although I have better luck with BG BK 44).

Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I see.

The first post by the OP says he "ran completely out of gas"

But was "only able to put 12 gallons in". And the tank he says holds 19.5 gallons

That certainly sounds like the sensor was the problem to me.

NOT....
I guess it is possible, but I don't get 400 miles per fill-up (of course I do not generally drive on the highway). If he is getting that kind of mileage and actually ran out, then I agree that it is probably the jet-pump. I actually did not read the OPs post closely enough. Apologies!

Last edited by Choreo; 05-28-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,452 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

that the siphon pump would be the best place to start looking for the problem. I can get 200+ miles from a half a tank of gas (26-27 mpg) and my tank holds 18.5 gallons of gas.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:58 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

im surprised everyones getting into these complicated diagnostics and theories

You most likely have what so many of us have, which is a wonky fuel gauge sensor

it is easily fixed with a fuel system cleaner, like techron (so ive heard), or regane Gumout (which ive personally used and works like a charm)

Last edited by 1Willy1; 05-29-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

The car ran completely out of gas. I could only put 12 gallons in it which filled it completely. That means there was 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 gallons of gas in there somewhere that is not usable.
I know the fuel gauge problem is common but i don't see how a gauge alone could cause this.
The siphon pump sounds more like the root problem. But it seems I would have ran out of gas around 9-10 gallon mark unless the tanks are different sizes.
Are both tanks the same size?
Again, thanks everyone for your input.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:25 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 778 Posts

After owning my C5 04 vert for 3 months and reading the Forums info on the gas tank/fuel gauge problem, I decided to only use top grade premium gas (Shell was my choice - no Chevron or Texaco in my area), add a can of Techron every other fill-up, and never let the tank get below 1/4 hoping I will not have the gage/tank issues.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 846 Likes on 722 Posts

8Vette 7 is giving you good advice. You need to start with the siphon pump. Fix it first and see what happens with the fuel gauge.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

It is the jet pump, not the gauge. The key is running out of gas, and only being able to put 12 gallons in.

It has happened to me. The gas gauge went to zero because PCM was sensing incorrect quantities between tanks, I thought it was the typical gauge problem, so I kept going and ran out of gas.

The reason that you are able to use a bit more than 9 gallons of gas is that the fill crossover is not all the way at the top.

Some members have had success in cleaning the jet pump, but what gets clogged is the internal motive flow nozzle which is very tiny.

You cannot buy the jet pump alone, just the complete assembly including the sender, mounting plate and internal plumbing.
The following users liked this post:
Marvin-n-NC (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 AM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the replies.
I will try running Techron through is for a few tanks and see what happens. I guess that is the easiest and cheapest attempt for now. However I will be filling up every 200 miles. I don't feel like that will fix this particular problem but at least I tried.
Meanwhile I will be looking into what it takes to replace the complete Jet pump assembly and sender as I believe that is probably the problem.
Has anyone priced the parts?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Thanks for all of the replies.
I will try running Techron through is for a few tanks and see what happens. I guess that is the easiest and cheapest attempt for now. However I will be filling up every 200 miles. I don't feel like that will fix this particular problem but at least I tried.
Meanwhile I will be looking into what it takes to replace the complete Jet pump assembly and sender as I believe that is probably the problem.
Has anyone priced the parts?
Try this for parts http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and there are others listed on search engine.
I just moved and found the local Chev dealer has a great Corvette tech. Had them replace both fuel sensors. Parts dept gave me 35% off when I told him I could get them for 41% online. With 86k on the car, it's needing parts replaced.
Marvin-n-NC (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still new to the forum and to the C5.
I have a strange issue. My new to me C5, when it reaches just under 3/4 of a tank the gauge goes to E all at once.
The C5 has a 19.5 gallon fuel tank.
So today I and riding knowing I had plenty of gas. After a couple hundred miles I ran completely out of gas.
I knew there was no way I had burned 19.5 gallons.
Luckily and gas station was close by and had to push it to the pump.
I could only put 12 gallons in it.
My questions start with, Has anyone else had this issue? This is more than the typical C5 Gauge problem.
I know there is a lot of knowledge here so I am looking to you guys for direction. Thank you in advance.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-gauge.html
Marvin-n-NC (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 AM
dcbrah
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also try techtron - seemed to work in my friends ride when he first got his ride. The contacts might also be dirty ?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 not using all available gas???????

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
im surprised everyones getting into these complicated diagnostics and theories

You most likely have what so many of us have, which is a wonky fuel gauge sensor

it is easily fixed with a fuel system cleaner, like techron (so ive heard), or regane Gumout (which ive personally used and works like a charm)
Right, but at this stage, more than one tank full will probably be required. possibly 3-4 tanks worth.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Marvin-n-NC
Intermediate

Update: It seems my problem is getting even stranger! My initial problem was the fuel gauge quit working when it reached 3/4 tank. I would refill with gas (about 5-6 gallons) then the gauge would go back to full. Then one day I ran out of gas and was able to squeeze 12 gallons in it. So I knew it was not using all the fuel on board.
I have ran several Techron treatments with no luck yet. It was worth a try.
Yesterday I filled the car with gas and drove about 150 miles. The fuel gauge quit about 100 miles into the trip. Being 150 miles from home I decided to stop for gas. The gas pump (at the station) tripped at 2 gallons. I waited a few seconds and could pump another 2-4 10ths of a gallon in. I did this for several minutes until I had but almost 6 gallons in. When I got back in the car the fuel gauge did not work. First time this has happened.
I then drove the 150 miles back home. I stopped at my local station to refill the tank. Same thing. Kicked off at about 2 gallons. I spent the next 10 minutes pumping in 2-4 tenths of a gallon and wait. After about 10 minutes I had managed to get almost 6 gallons in and it finally ran over.
So I am at a complete loss as to where to start.
I was sure the siphon pump in the right tank was plugged or partially plugged. But if after 150 miles, way could I only get 2 gallons in the tank. It seems to be working.
So again, I have no idea where to start right now and praying you guys sled some light on where I need to go with this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Marvin-n-NC; 06-12-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 AM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Update: It seems my problem is getting even stranger! My initial problem was the fuel gauge quit working when it reached 3/4 tank. I would refill with gas (about 5-6 gallons) then the gauge would go back to full. Then one day I ran out of gas and was able to squeeze 12 gallons in it. So I knew it was not using all the fuel on board.
I have ran several Techron treatments with no luck yet. It was worth a try.
Yesterday I filled the car with gas and drove about 150 miles. The fuel gauge quit about 100 miles into the trip. Being 150 miles from home I decided to stop for gas. The gas pump (at the station) tripped at 2 gallons. I waited a few seconds and could pump another 2-4 10ths of a gallon in. I did this for several minutes until I had but almost 6 gallons in. When I got back in the car the fuel gauge did not work. First time this has happened.
I then drove the 150 miles back home. I stopped at my local station to refill the tank. Same thing. Kicked off at about 2 gallons. I spent the next 10 minutes pumping in 2-4 tenths of a gallon and wait. After about 10 minutes I had managed to get almost 6 gallons in and it finally ran over.
So I am at a complete loss as to where to start.
I was sure the siphon pump in the right tank was plugged or partially plugged. But if after 150 miles, way could I only get 2 gallons in the tank. It seems to be working.
So again, I have no idea where to start right now and praying you guys sled some light on where I need to go with this. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sounds like you have multiple issues to me:

1) The fuel filler hose in some of these cars is too narrow. There's a TSB on it, details here:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...filler-nozzle/

That could be your refill issue

2) You could have a wonky sending unit causing your fuel gauge to act up. I'd keep putting in the techron. Also I recommend Costco gas for it's high level of detergents.

3) Jet siphon pump may or may not be bad.
Marvin-n-NC (06-12-2016)

Quick Reply: C5 not using all available gas???????