Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 03:00 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust

Just listened to Borla Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust. The Stingers were on a 2002 vert with Halltech T1 (more intake noise), headers, and custom weld-in X-pipe. The 100% stock 2002 Z06 exhaust was noticeably LOUDER! :eek:

I'm about to have the same X-pipe installed on my ZO6 to fix the jingling/popping. How much quieter will my car be after the X-pipe? Other than the jingling/popping, I love the sound of the stock ZO6 exhaust: how will it change with an X-pipe? Sound clips anyone?

Also, if a larger-holed H-pipe caused a resonance issue (whereas the smaller-holed H-pipe does not), and an X-pipe does not have a resonance issue, why didn't GM use an X-pipe from the factory?

SportsCars

Old 09-06-2002, 03:54 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (SportsCars)

Under WOT I can hear a 01 Z06 w/ stingers over mine (stock) when the other Z was in front of me. I guess the true test would be a side by side comparison.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:52 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (gmblack3)

My 02 Z06 with Stingers is a lot louder than it was before.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:12 PM
inferno
Instructor

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (kumar75150)

He's talking about a c5 vert with stingers and a stock Z06
Old 09-06-2002, 05:40 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (inferno)

I've heard both several times. I must disagree. I think a coupe with stingers is much louder than a Z06. Granted, at WOT the Z is close. At idle and part throttle it's no contest though, Stingers are louder. In fact, a friend with an 02 Z06 thinks my PRT's are louder than his car at idle and "normal" driving.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:51 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (jschindler)

Are Stingers louder than PRTs?
Old 09-06-2002, 06:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (2000^C5)

Are Stingers louder than PRTs?
I think they are. It's pretty close though.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:33 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

I've heard both several times. I must disagree. I think a coupe with stingers is much louder than a Z06. Granted, at WOT the Z is close. At idle and part throttle it's no contest though, Stingers are louder. In fact, a friend with an 02 Z06 thinks my PRT's are louder than his car at idle and "normal" driving.
We had the cars parked side by side. We revved the engines to around 5K (not at the same time). The vert owner and mechanic agreed that the stock ZO6 was louder. The Stinger's were lower in pitch, so that may explain part of the perceptual difference (I have a Decibel meter: I could measure the sound output in the future). A useful statistic for exhaust mods would be a standardized dB measurement (from a standard distance+location).

Since the vert had an X-pipe, I'd like to know how much quieter the stock ZO6 will be after adding an X-pipe?

SportsCars
Old 09-07-2002, 11:48 AM
yelloz06
Pro

There have been several posts reflecting that the addition of the X, quiets the exhaust noise. I now have Stingers and would like to take some of the edge off of them. I think it's time to go project X- (pipe). Any thoughts about this combo?

:cheers:
Old 09-07-2002, 01:30 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a x-pipe didn't really change the sound of my exhaust, but did get rid of the jingle.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:09 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (yelloz06)

There have been several posts reflecting that the addition of the X, quiets the exhaust noise. I now have Stingers and would like to take some of the edge off of them. I think it's time to go project X- (pipe). Any thoughts about this combo?

:cheers:
The X-Pipe will:

1. Reduce popping.
2. Eliminate the jingle (on a ZO6).
3. Smooth out the sound, removing harsh edges from the firing pulses (and the LS1/LS6's funky firing order). In sound terms, it appears the X-pipe acts like a low-pass filter (which is like an "averaging" filter, which is what the X-pipe is doing to the sound pulses). The sound is smoother rather than crisper (LS1 + Headers + Stingers + X-pipe sounded smoother than my stock ZO6).
4. As a side effect of (3) above, the sound will change, and by most accounts the Sound Pressure Level will drop (perceptually quieter). Just for fun, I'll use a digital dB meter before/after, as well as digitally sampling the waveform, and see what's really going on.

Question: won't the X-pipe be the most effective closer to the engine? If pulse equalization increases exhaust gas scavenging, then the sooner it is equalized, the greater the scavenging (increased mass down the pipe)? If not, then why not just run a single low-restriction muffler straight out the back (like a Porsche, Viper, etc.)?

SportsCars
Old 09-07-2002, 08:00 PM
BuzzZ06
Instructor

Why the hell does it matter that Stingers on a vert are quieter than a stock Z06 set-up? :confused: :confused:

If you want me to give you some oranges to go with your apples, please let me know.

If you want some more apples to go with your existing apples, I can guarantee that the Stingers on a Z06 sound A LOT LOUDER than the stock Z06 Ti set-up...not saying that this is better just an observation...

:smash:
Old 09-07-2002, 08:46 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (BuzzZ06)

Why the hell does it matter that Stingers on a vert are quieter than a stock Z06 set-up? :confused: :confused:

If you want me to give you some oranges to go with your apples, please let me know.

If you want some more apples to go with your existing apples, I can guarantee that the Stingers on a Z06 sound A LOT LOUDER than the stock Z06 Ti set-up...not saying that this is better just an observation...

:smash:
:rolleyes: , ! :cuss: = :nono:

Again, the question is how much an X-pipe changes/reduces sound output compared to the stock H-pipe. I was surprised that an LS1 with intake, headers, X-pipe and Stingers was quieter than my stock ZO6 (after reading about how loud the Stingers were (regardless of the LS1/LS6 engine/cat differences)). My '99 Coupe with Corsa Indy's was louder than my stock 2002 ZO6 (a lot louder; so much so I swapped them for the Touring).

If anyone has done just an X-pipe on an otherwise stock 2002/3 ZO6, I'd like to hear how the sound has changed (TooManyID's stated his didn't really change: Stock car?). Anyone else have feedback?

SportsCars

[Modified by SportsCars, 12:53 AM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 10:45 AM
yelloz06
Pro

Sports,
THANKS! Just the techno stuff I was looking for.
Now for the question on placement, hmmmmmm.............

The X-Pipe will:
3. Smooth out the sound, removing harsh edges from the firing pulses (and the LS1/LS6's funky firing order). In sound terms, it appears the X-pipe acts like a low-pass filter (which is like an "averaging" filter, which is what the X-pipe is doing to the sound pulses). The sound is smoother rather than crisper (LS1 + Headers + Stingers + X-pipe sounded smoother than my stock ZO6).
4. As a side effect of (3) above, the sound will change, and by most accounts the Sound Pressure Level will drop (perceptually quieter). Just for fun, I'll use a digital dB meter before/after, as well as digitally sampling the waveform, and see what's really going on.

Question: won't the X-pipe be the most effective closer to the engine? If pulse equalization increases exhaust gas scavenging, then the sooner it is equalized, the greater the scavenging (increased mass down the pipe)? If not, then why not just run a single low-restriction muffler straight out the back (like a Porsche, Viper, etc.)?

SportsCars
Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Les Kaufteil
Heel & Toe

I've been running the Stingers on my Z06 since April and they are as louder than the PRT's , Corsa Indy's which I've had used on this Z06 and my prior Z06.

I just had Cartek's 2X package done with stock cats in place...and plan on changing to the GHL 4 tip system to quiet the cabin down noise a bit.

The Stingers do sound great on a bolt on modded car but when you added with H&C the noise level got out of hand for ME. I never liked the the big cans though.

I paid $409 from LAPD on a GP shipped....I could not go wrong and plan on sellig them for $325 plus shipping once I recieve my GHL system..

Fubu/Les

BTW, from my experience a good rear X pipe will enhance the Stinger sound during decelearation... :)

[Modified by Les Kaufteil, 4:30 PM 9/8/2002]

[Modified by Les Kaufteil, 4:37 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 03:19 PM
BuzzZ06
Instructor

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (Les Kaufteil)

I've been running the Stingers on my Z06 since April and they are as louder than the PRT's , Corsa Indy's which I've had used on this Z06 and my prior Z06.

I just had Cartek's 2X package done with stock cats in place...and plan on changing to the GHL 4 tip system to quiet the cabin down noise a bit.

The Stingers do sound great on a bolt on modded car but when you added with H&C the noise level got out of hand for ME. I never liked the the big cans though.

I paid $409 from LAPD on a GP shipped....I could not go wrong and plan on sellig them for $325 plus shipping once I recieve my GHL system..

Fubu/Les

BTW, from my experience a good rear X pipe will enhance the Stinger sound during decelearation... :)

[Modified by Les Kaufteil, 4:30 PM 9/8/2002]

[Modified by Les Kaufteil, 4:37 PM 9/8/2002]

Les..what did the Cartek pkg give you rwhp/rwtq? ...was the dyno sheet smoothed out or are they counting the spiked areas as peak #s? ...do you still have the cats on? ...how's the driveability? Just curious, I've heard some good things about their xpkg.

Old 09-08-2002, 03:43 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

Default Re: Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust (yelloz06)

Sports,
THANKS! Just the techno stuff I was looking for.
Now for the question on placement, hmmmmmm.............
I'm having the X-pipe done on Monday. I'll record the results before/after and measure dB as well (I'll pick a reasonable location and measure with a tape-measure).

SportsCars

Get notified of new replies

To Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust

Old 09-09-2002, 08:50 PM
SportsCars
Instructor

As I suspected, the X-pipe dramatically quiets the exhaust. See my post titled "X-Pipe + Stock Z06 = Way Quieter".

SportsCars
Old 09-09-2002, 09:11 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

How many people even listen to a vette idle..............WOT is much, much better.........
Old 09-21-2002, 03:09 PM
AWSM_06
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

This is the scoop:

I had a set of Borla Shorty Headers and the Stingers on my 2002 Z initially and the car sounded AWESOME. However, I got so sick of the "jingle" I bought and had installed a MagnaFLo X. This did several things:

1. Mellowed out the sound of the Stingers considerably
2. Eliminated the "Jingle"
3. Reduced popping a slight bit
4. Reduced the overall sound pressure level
5. Reduced cabin noise and resonance slightly
6. Made me wish I had the left the H Pipe in 'cause the car did not sound as BadA___!!!!!

Then, I installed a pair of TPIS LT's. Really "rounded out the sound and gave it a much more "chunky/throaty" sound, harkening back to the original pre-X Borla sound. And...actually reduced cabin noise even more!

Then, installed the ATI D-1SC. The Borlas are now BACK!!!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just listened to Stingers next to my stock Z06 exhaust