Sponsored by:

[Z06] Shift Light on HUD Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Frank'n'Austin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Light on HUD Display

Has anyone ever considered this? It might already be out there but I'm not aware of it. I was thinking what better place to have the shift light than on the display allowing you to see the flash without taking your eyes off the road. Would be even better if someone would come up with one that you could program the shift point at the RPM you wanted. Maybe if we get enough response one of the supporting vendors could make it happen. I don't know if the HUD circuitry is in the public domain to allow this to be designed but it sure would be cool if it was. What do ya'all think?
Old 09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (Frank'n'Austin)

There's already a shift light in the HUD.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:22 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (Jerry Velders)

The problem is that in 1st and 2nd,by the time the shift light come on you have already hit the limiter. You might do a search where this topic was discussed a few weeks ago.

Paul.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (pdvale)

But it works great when redlining 3rd and 4th :D
Old 09-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Frank'n'Austin
Intermediate

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (Dreamin)

Maybe I should read my owner's manual. Since this is my second C-5 I never bothered (my first one didn't have HUD). All I know is I hit the limiter too often and I've never seen the light come on. Have never hit it in 3rd or 4th and that must be because by then the car has settled down enough that I can concentrate on the rpm. I also tend to look at the analog gauge instead of the HUD when running it to the redline. Will check for other threads to see what has been said about this topic. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (pdvale)

The problem is that in 1st and 2nd,by the time the shift light come on you have already hit the limiter. You might do a search where this topic was discussed a few weeks ago.

Paul.
You know, I thought I would have this issue until I really worked out the car this past weekend. No problem if you shift when the "shift" indicator comes on. Obviously, you need to respond very quickly in the 1-2 shift to avoid the fuel cutoff but it works fine.

The analog tach on the other hand IS slow and will lag behind in 1st gear. I read somewhere this is an intentional design feature to maintain readability of the tach needle.

Ever notice how race tach needles 'wiggle' constantly with any rpm change? That would not be acceptable to many Corvette buyers so they made the tach a little slower to respond to preserve smoothenes. But I don't believe the shift light has the same 'delay'. At least it didn't appear to hit the fuel cutoff a single time all weekend despite many shifts right when the HUD indicator kicked in (I have hit it once in the past so I know what it feels like).

Just food for thought... :cheers:
Old 09-05-2002, 05:40 PM
dre00
Instructor

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (Frank'n'Austin)

I've never noticed a shift light in the HUD either.. ??

-d
Old 09-05-2002, 05:49 PM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (dre00)

I found the shift indicator to be worthless - too hard to see. I have a Harlan shift light mounted on my steering column - it's attached with velcro and has a quick-disconnect connector. It's very easy to program in 100 rpm increments - you can't miss it when it flashes. Costs about $50.00. If you're interested any search engine can get you to a source for purchasing one.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Frank'n'Austin
Intermediate

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (JerryL)

Cool, gonna have to check that one out.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:05 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

- it's attached with velcro and has a quick-disconnect connector.
Jerry, could you elaborate on your quick-disconnect hook-up for us interested but technically challenged types ?
Old 09-07-2002, 12:59 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (dre00)

I've never noticed a shift light in the HUD either.. ??
Interesting that several of you have said this. I think the HUDS differ one from another in intensity in different areas of the "screen."

I used my 2000 Coupe's SHIFT light perfectly, in every gear. Interestingly, my polarized sunglasses made the HUD very difficult to read and that was frustrating.

My 02 Z06 seems to have a much brighter display than the 2000 did, and I can wear my sunglasses and sstill read the HUD.

HOWEVER, my shift light much less useful, with or without the polarized glasses. I almost never see it come on now. I've had to start watching the tach again! :(

Old 09-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (Tom Steele)

i hadnt paid that close attention until reading this topic.....went out ran the car hard and the shift light on the HUD worked perfect for me....

now my rev limiter is set at 6800, and I think it came on about 6400 or so, which gave me time to slam gears

:ccol:

thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 12:56 PM
JerryL
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (wamara)

wamara,
The shift light is a tube about 4" long and about 1" in diameter. It comes with a wiring harness which needs to be connected to the PCM. Tony's Corvette Shop hooked up a quick disconnect near the light end. I don't think that this was very challenging. I can pull the light out of the car in 15 seconds - no reason to do that but I didn't want it to be permanent.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:33 PM
BuzzZ06
Instructor

wamara,
The shift light is a tube about 4" long and about 1" in diameter. It comes with a wiring harness which needs to be connected to the PCM. Tony's Corvette Shop hooked up a quick disconnect near the light end. I don't think that this was very challenging. I can pull the light out of the car in 15 seconds - no reason to do that but I didn't want it to be permanent.
JerryL...do you have any pics of your light???

Old 09-09-2002, 01:38 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Jerry.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Jeff Kirk
Instructor

Default Re: Shift Light on HUD Display (wamara)

What would be cool if we could get a different color display for the tach in the HUD. I have mine set for speed and nothing else, everything else is just a cluster F. I can see the shift light clearly though, and when road racing on a tight course I really dont have time to look down at the tach, but have done the Pavlov experiment, and see the shift light pop on.

just my two cents!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Light on HUD Display

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shift Light on HUD Display