Sponsored by:

Cleaning Plastics/Rubbers Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 AM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cleaning Plastics/Rubbers Under Hood

Just curious, would it be a bad idea to wipe down the rubbers/plastics/covers/hoses type stuff under the hood with one of those protectant liquids (like ArmorAlll)? Could it potentially shorten the life of these rubbers/plastics? Any I should avoid?

Popular Reply

03-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Too the OP.. many products use nitrates to clean ... they do clean, but they also suck the life out of the natural oils found in these products making them dependent on the silicone added so you have to use more ( becoming dependent )... skillfully designed by the manufacturers to turn you into a silicone junkie. This did not happen by accident. Armoral was the first product recognized to be a street drug dealer... their products would clean and shine things like dash boards, tires and rubber products, only to find that months later these products were causing cracking, and hooking the neighbor hood kids on their products.. The manufacturers tweaked their products to address this, but they didn't remove it completely...

I would never use an alkaline soap ( and acid anhydride ) on my car's finish, or used an alkaline or silicone based product on my rubber components.
Simple test of alkaline product.. put some in the palm of your hand a squeeze tightly, if you feel heat being generated ( getting warm ) then the product is an acid anhydride. ( Harmful to automotive parts.) Just some tips brought to you for free... proving beyond a doubt that I am not just another pretty face..

Bill aka ET

You can perform a test at home on an acid anhydride cleaner... go get mom's; dishwashing liquid... put a few drops in your hand, and squeeze.. if it does not get hot, its basic anhydride and good to use on your car... you can try liquid laundry detergent to perform this test too. or any liquid product you put on your car.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Chadwick's no-sling tire will make rubber and plastic look and feel new
Wheel wells !!!!!

Last edited by Pounder; 03-27-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 804 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by craig_vette
Just curious, would it be a bad idea to wipe down the rubbers/plastics/covers/hoses type stuff under the hood with one of those protectant liquids (like ArmorAlll)? Could it potentially shorten the life of these rubbers/plastics? Any I should avoid?
With Armor All being one of the first products readily available it's most well known. It also makes the underhood look shiny, which most don't favor. I don't use anything on mine, just keep it clean.

The Chadwicks looks good though!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

I like aerospace 303. Looks like new and not shiny
Old 03-27-2016, 10:54 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=akapounder;1591864746]
Chadwick's no-sling tire will make rubber and plastic look and feel new. [QUOTE]

Best I've used. It cleans the surfaces (removing the grit and grime that over time imbed themselves in the plastic) rather than just covering up the filth...particularly the inner fenders which, when left unchecked, cause your car to look even older than it already is.

The Lizzard
Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03-27-2016, 11:05 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

I use tire foam and the clear black tire treatment from Meguiars and others - - just stay away from the serpentine belt.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I use Stoner Trim Shine, spray it on and walk away. Just keep it off painted surfaces.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron71
Works the best for me.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Not an ad...I do not work for them. I use Griots Engine Bay Dressing. First make sure it is all clean in the engine area. then spray lightly. I wipe it after a few minutes and get an original factory look, some people spray a second time for gloss.
I also use Griots Undercarriage spray for my wheel wells. Frist time i cleaned it all first and sprayed. on my Avalanche I did not clean first but just sprayed. it looked 90% of the cleaned wheel wells, etc.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have used Adam's VRT for some of the stuff under the hood. Does not leave things looking glossy if you apply it then wipe it back down to remove any excess.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have used Adam's VRT for some of the stuff under the hood. Does not leave things looking glossy if you apply it then wipe it back down to remove any excess.
Same here...I think it works well for all the plastic and hoses.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Too the OP.. many products use nitrates to clean ... they do clean, but they also suck the life out of the natural oils found in these products making them dependent on the silicone added so you have to use more ( becoming dependent )... skillfully designed by the manufacturers to turn you into a silicone junkie. This did not happen by accident. Armoral was the first product recognized to be a street drug dealer... their products would clean and shine things like dash boards, tires and rubber products, only to find that months later these products were causing cracking, and hooking the neighbor hood kids on their products.. The manufacturers tweaked their products to address this, but they didn't remove it completely...

I would never use an alkaline soap ( and acid anhydride ) on my car's finish, or used an alkaline or silicone based product on my rubber components.
Simple test of alkaline product.. put some in the palm of your hand a squeeze tightly, if you feel heat being generated ( getting warm ) then the product is an acid anhydride. ( Harmful to automotive parts.) Just some tips brought to you for free... proving beyond a doubt that I am not just another pretty face..

Bill aka ET

You can perform a test at home on an acid anhydride cleaner... go get mom's; dishwashing liquid... put a few drops in your hand, and squeeze.. if it does not get hot, its basic anhydride and good to use on your car... you can try liquid laundry detergent to perform this test too. or any liquid product you put on your car.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-27-2016 at 09:43 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
Christee (03-27-2016), grampzmy00 (03-28-2016), lewislgZ06 (03-27-2016), olbear1962 (03-27-2016), Pounder (03-27-2016), Rico7142 (03-27-2016), zachaeous (03-27-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Bill aka ET

What products do you use?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I am not going to tell you that because.. it then become an opportunity for cheap shots.. I am too old and sick to deal with that " any More " I take pride in my research.. my car could not look any better...don't use silicones or nitrates on your car. You see even That comment " will crank up the users of silicones and nitrates.. many don't know what they are using on their car.. but with a little research MSDS specs, will yield their properties.
Manufacturer design their products to sell... if their product looks good on your car, but it seems to require more and more applications, its sucking the life out of your car. There is a product here, I wont mention names... but people are buying it by the gallons.. Ive never once subscribed to any thread with this product in it... I never bad mouth it.. But I would never use it on my car. MY car looks better than New, and I've never had to buy a gallon of anything to make it look good... The products that I use in a 9 ounce bottle will last me two years and cost me 12.99 a bottle. My car can speak for itself..

The automotive industry has a lot of automotive enthusiasts that can be easily be led around by the nose because they know that many car guys think that more must be better.
Just a heads up
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-27-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Not a garage queen but is 17 years old with 100,000 + miles.

Seats are 14 years old with about 80,000 miles of seat time.. all pictures are recent

Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I am not going to tell you that because.. it then become an opportunity for cheap shots.. I am too old and sick to deal with that " any More " I take pride in my research.. my car could not look any better...don't use silicones or nitrates on your car. You see even That comment " will crank up the users of silicones and nitrates.. many don't know what they are using on their car.. but with a little research MSDS specs, will yield their properties.
Manufacturer design their products to sell... if their product looks good on your car, but it seems to require more and more applications, its sucking the life out of your car. There is a product here, I wont mention names... but people are buying it by the gallons.. Ive never once subscribed to any thread with this product in it... I never bad mouth it.. But I would never use it on my car. MY car looks better than New, and I've never had to buy a gallon of anything to make it look good... The products that I use in a 9 ounce bottle will last me two years and cost me 12.99 a bottle. My car can speak for itself..

The automotive industry has a lot of automotive enthusiasts that can be easily be led around by the nose because they know that many car guys think that more must be better.
Just a heads up
Bill aka ET
I wasn't asking to debate your knowledge. I recently bought a C6 (2007) that appears to have used bad products and I was hoping there was something I could use to remedy it. Is there no going back once these products are used for so long?

Last edited by Christee; 03-27-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning Plastics/Rubbers Under Hood

Old 03-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Christee
I wasn't asking to debate your knowledge. I recently bought a C6 (2007) that appears to have used bad products and I was hoping there was something I could use to remedy it. Is there no going back once these products are used for so long?
That's what I love about Chadwick's , my first winter with the car I had all hoses and a few of the weatherstrips off the car and was going to replace the hoses. Just for the heck of it, I used the Chadwick's no-sling tire stuff on all the rubber and plastic and after it all felt new, soft and pliable !!!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:13 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been using 303 for a while and been very happy
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 PM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron71

Quick Reply: Cleaning Plastics/Rubbers Under Hood