Sponsored by:

Slp sound alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Might want to give Borla another look. I don't have them, but the new Atak and S-type are supposedly no drone and imo Borla has always had that great deep muscle car sound.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6vette
Hello I've been listing to exhaust systems on YouTube which probably isn't the most accurate way to get an idea but it's what I got I like the sound of the SLP loudmouth but obviously not gonna go there cause of the drone, so was wondering what would have the same sound and volume like it though? My car is stock so far I'm gonna also do headers, x-pipe, cai, and maybe a cam thanks
Yes, listening to video clips of exhaust note examples is not the most reliable source. Depending on the set-up of the car from stock to highly modified can alter the exhaust note quite a bit. The SLP LM is a great exhaust, along with Borla, and B+B which I've had first-hand experience but, they drone and at cruising speeds, like going down the highway between 1500-1700 RPM's it gets annoying. Just my .02 but, if your looking for a great exhaust with no drone, reliability, and quality with a great sound I swear by a Corsa. I have the old Corsa Indy pace car edition, and after 12 years it looks and sounds as good as it did when I first purchased it. Corsa isn't cheap but, you get what you pay for in this product. I think Corsa has their C5 exhaust listed under a new name called the Xtreme, I could be wrong about the name but, I would give this exhaust serious consideration.

Good luck!!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 AM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I cannot sell myself on the corsa it just isn't doing it for me is there any other exhaust someone would recommend that sounds bad azz with no drone or very little??
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Im not trying to be bias but the best set up ive heard so far are the B&B bullets

they are loud but not raspy or obnoxious, they have a small resonator type thing welded in to give them a deep rumble, a nice controlled grunt

Other systems I hear either sound like a motor boat, high pitch raspy sound, or off pitch tune of some form or another

B&B Bullets, you wont be disappointed I guarantee it
The following users liked this post:
ZeeOh6vette (03-13-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 01:30 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I have B&B Bullets on my 99 c5 6m. All stock except for CAI, a good computer dyno tune and the Bullets. I love the sound, both volume and tone! There is some drone around the 1500 to about 1800 or 1900 rpm but not so bad that I can't have a normal conversation in the car or listen to music. Also present is some burbling when getting off the gas, but I personally like the sound. On the drone/burbling it's definitely there, but in my opinion its not bad. Just depends on how sensitive you are to it. Another area I liked on the Bullets was the ease of installation, about 1 and 1/4 hours start to finish and perfect fit. I also found the Bullets a very cost effective alternative compared to many other offerings. Good luck and best wishes to you!

b7
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stock auto 04 with SLP Loudmouth and the drone is too much. I love the sound but the drone is annoying.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 AM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Im not trying to be bias but the best set up ive heard so far are the B&B bullets

they are loud but not raspy or obnoxious, they have a small resonator type thing welded in to give them a deep rumble, a nice controlled grunt

Other systems I hear either sound like a motor boat, high pitch raspy sound, or off pitch tune of some form or another

B&B Bullets, you wont be disappointed I guarantee it
Thanks for the input I'm just concerned with the drone and how bad it would be? Also looking for 4inch tips and if they can be centered? I'm liking that look
Old 03-13-2016, 12:49 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

If you want to annoy your neighbors get the 'loud mouths'! I personally would not want to have to put up with that much noise ALL the time, so my suggestion is...install electric cutouts.

frank

BTW: I run LG Pros, Random Tech cats, X pipe, into Borla Stingers, loud enough for me.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 AM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Sounds like ghl bullets might be the way to go from my discovery it looks like they don't have any drone? Anybody have knowledge on what headers and xpipe to go along with it and what sizes I'm not very knowledgeable in this category so don't understand the different sizes I'm also gonna do the full Halltech intake system not just the stinger and maybe a cam?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 PM
paoutlaw
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a SLP Powerflo with a Borla X-pipe. This is the same SLP exhaust that Sydwayz has as far as I can tell. I usually drive my car on trips 4 hours in length. The sound is not too loud even being in the car for that period of time. But if I put my right foot down, it does bark. I boys across the street tell me they hear me coming home at 3:00AM. I just try to keep it down around home. I would buy another SLP exhaust. Good quality and good fit. I love it. Hope this helps.

The Outlaw

Last edited by paoutlaw; 03-13-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: wording
Old 05-12-2016, 10:12 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Can I ask what you got chassed?
i went with Borla ATAK.... ZERO drone!

I have headers no cats and a Cam. For me its loud enough.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
I have had the loudmouth's, B&B bullets, corsa indy, corsa titanium, ghl magnums, borla straights and the z06 ti's and I still come back to the loudmouths. They do drone, but to me it's worth it. The B&B bullets would be my second favorite. They may be more suitable for you. They sound nasty and don't have as much drone as the slp loudmouths. They are not as loud as the slp loudmouths, but they have a deeper sound.
Thats a great looking FRC!! Sorry, I meant Z!

Last edited by friou; 05-12-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the feed back everybody I'm not a fan of the corsa from what I can tell online the SLP sounds BADAZZ but I know it would make me unhappy cruising home after work in the summers I've noticed it seems to me the more aggressive the exhaust is the more drone problems you get maybe I'm wrong?? Anybody recommend b&b bullets is there any drone there??? Or any other manufactures that would be recommended that you know don't drone??? Again thanks
I test drove a C5 with the B&B bullets during my search for a car. A lot of drone!!!

I am in the process of installing the XS Power axle back system. Did a lot of research as well as some very good feedback here. Was told by many that there is no drone. But at idle and when getting on it they sound great. Will give a review once I am up and running.

Last edited by Ducati Guy; 05-13-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 AM
JargonGrinder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
I test drove a C5 with the B&B bullets during my search for a car. A lot of drone!!!

I am in the process of installing the XS Power axle back system. Did a lot of research as well as some very good feedback here. Was told by many that there is no drone. But at idle and when getting on it the sound great. Will give a review once I am up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30B8mYb0gc
Also looking at this set. Eagerly await your review.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by CindysC5
I've been searching also for a different sound. I found these made by an American company in TX called Top Speed Pro 1. Reminds me of my 97 Camaro SS 30th Anniv w SLP pkg....Loudmouth exhaust without the expense.

https://youtu.be/udmUNrCyVHU
During my search I narrowed my choice down to two systems. The XS Power and the Top Speed. I was looking for a nice deep rumble at idle and a good strong sound under hard acceleration. But quite while cruising in the highway.

Started a thread asking for advice. Here is the best / most helpful response i got back.

Originally Posted by melloyello01 View Post
I have the xspower exhaust. I, like you, wanted a nice sound for a nice price. I did a ton of research and read all the reviews and listened to as many clips as I could find. I didnt buy because they were a great price. I bought them because they were a great value for a reasonable price. I've had them 3 years now and couldn't be more satisfied. I did not want the 70's glass pack sound that sounded like you wanted to race everyone as you idled at the stoplight. These have a nice low rumble at idle, then a gradual growl as you start to accelerate, then a really nice roar when you put your foot in it. My wife and have done 2 - 4000+ mile road trips, the one thing that would not be tolerated on those 8-10 hour drive days was drone. The only time you hear these things is only when you are accelerating. At level constant speed they just purrr. The quality is top notch, stainless steel, very nice welds, and nice looking tips. Install was easy as expected. Tips a little hard to get perfect but enough to be acceptable. I know a lot will say you get what you paid for. In this case, you get way more than what you paid for. Hope this helps, sorry for being a little long. But there's a lot to say.

I also sent an inquiry to Top Speed about their system. Here is the response.

The exhaust is designed and prototyped here in Dallas, Tx but the actual production takes place at our facility in Taiwan. I do not have videos at those speeds but the exhaust drone on the highway is negligible and the exhaust only gets loud when you get on it. Based on your needs I believe that this is a good setup for the sound you want.

My thread generated very good feedback on the XS Power, for the most part. No feedback about the Top Speed. Guessing that says something.

Ordered the XS Power. Being installed as we speak. Will write a review after living with the system for a bit. I hope this helps you in your search.

Here is a clip of the XS Power:
Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

(SOLD)

I have these BB bullets available, wife likes the Corsa more, happy wife is a happy life
Attached Images  

Last edited by S.C. vette; 05-25-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
I have these BB bullets available, wife likes the Corsa more, happy wife is a happy life
Ah ha.............now i see why they are so loud. No mufflers. Damn.

Get notified of new replies

To Slp sound alternative

Old 05-14-2016, 10:23 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
I have these BB bullets available, (600 & shipping, wife likes the Corsa more, happy wife is a happy life
Attached Images  

Last edited by S.C. vette; 05-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:15 AM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had catbacks on every vehicle I've owned for the last 30 years. I've had pretty much all them, and while some had worse drone than others, I've never ran into a situation that I couldnt live with. That said, I sure wish I could tell what system is on my C5. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any evidence of an identifying mark or tag anywhere? Whatever it is, its the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard and zero drone.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
I've had catbacks on every vehicle I've owned for the last 30 years. I've had pretty much all them, and while some had worse drone than others, I've never ran into a situation that I couldnt live with. That said, I sure wish I could tell what system is on my C5. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any evidence of an identifying mark or tag anywhere? Whatever it is, its the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard and zero drone.
Glad you like your exhaust, that's the important thing. If you are able, it would certainly help if you posted a picture of the exhaust from the tip angle. Most of these aftermarket companies have signature designs. Maybe then we can help you identify what it is.

Quick Reply: Slp sound alternative