Battery Tender Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Battery Tender Advice

Hi all,

Just bought a batter tender plus for my C5. I've never used one of these and I don't have any questions on install...I'm looking for advice based on where my car lives during the off-season.

I keep the corvette outside (off street ) with a nice really nice car cover that has performed exceptionally well for three years. Now, I don't have any other option here so this forces me to use an extension chord. I know this is not recommended but from what I can tell, as long as you use heavy duty extension chords you'll be fine. No issue there. My big question is where to keep all the components of the tender. I was thinking I would keep the hood cracked, run the extension chord into the engine bay, hook everything up and find a spot in the engine bay to keep the main unit (distancing it from the battery to the best of my ability). This would keep everything dry if it were to rain and is the most obvious set up given my situation. Upon doing some research, i found these things produce gases during charging that can be hazardous. This is my primary concern. I feel like most people use these in secure garages (not that this wouldn't be secure) with the hood up. Will connecting the battery tender plus and keeping everything in my engine bay, WITH A CAR COVER ON, create a problem here? It's not like the gasses wouldn't be able to ventilate under the car?

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this setup from those who have more experience with these things. I figure I'm probably in the clear but I've learned to respect the "safe than sorry" motto when it comes to my cars.

THANKS!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I keep my 2004 on a CTEK 3300,in a garage and covered with hood down, when not driving.I have the CTEK outside the car and run the leads to the battery using the quick disconnect that came with the tender.I close the hood and let it rest on the latches as a reminder to unhook the tender when i uncover car.Using a AGM battery i have done this for 3 years now with no problems.A proper tender will not overcharge a battery.I would think being outside ,you will get good air flow under the car and up into the engine bay.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:03 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a maintainer on my battery (CTEK) undercover in my garage with no issues...you are in a much better position as your car is outdoors with air coming from under the car. Suggest you keep maintainer and wires away from parts that move when started in case you forget about charger being under hood. I am not convinced you need a heavy gauge wire for extension either. Would just use one for outdoor Christmas lights. These maintainers only have about 2 amp output. Hey isn't winter about over I am hoping!!!??

Last edited by El original; 03-06-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Thanks for describing your setup. Since you are in a garage you can keep the main unit out of the engine bay. That is the main difference with having my car outside though. I can't have the primary "battery tender plus" unit outside because it would be exposed to the elements.

Would finding a spot inside the engine bay to sit that unit give me problems? If so, any ideas?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

If it's off season, longer periods, remove the battery and keep it on the tender on your sundeck?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I just drop my CTEK somewhere in the engine compartment where it does not come into contact with fan or moving parts when started. The unit is so small could be mounted permanently if you would like and close hood.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 AM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Why don't you just take the battery out of the car and bring it inside and put it on the
tender? Then there is no need to run an extension cord at all.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,404 Likes on 14,030 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by v6turbo87
Why don't you just take the battery out of the car and bring it inside and put it on the
If you have no plans to drive it and there would be no need to move it around, just remove the battery and bring it inside. On the chance you have to move the car, just stick the battery back in and you're set.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If I had my vette outside for the winter under a cover, I would put tender under hood on passenger side, run electric cord from under car up to tender by inner fender and manifold and close hood. As stated earlier just remember to unhook before you start it up. Which I really don't think you would forget that. Just my .02
Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 AM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Thanks for all the input here guys. Taking the battery out is an option I didnt think of. It would be a bit of a pain because the passenger side is along a fence and it's a PITA to get to.

I'll probably just find a spot in the engine bay to keep the main unit and unplug it when I take the car out. As long as I'm not looking at some fire hazard or something I'm fine with this. That was my main concern...coming out to a crispy C5 due to negligence.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 AM
photonhunter
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DBOTHEBOSS
... Taking the battery out is an option I didnt think of. It would be a bit of a pain because the passenger side is along a fence and it's a PITA to get to....
So you park it close by where you can easily remove the battery, release the brake and push it to where you want to park it. I guess I'm being Mr. Obvious, but the car can move without the engine running.

dan k.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I grabbed the battery butler from Zip for $17 when I got poly bushings for my shifter when I put in my Hinson.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by v6turbo87
Old 03-07-2016, 02:09 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Originally Posted by photonhunter
So you park it close by where you can easily remove the battery, release the brake and push it to where you want to park it. I guess I'm being Mr. Obvious, but the car can move without the engine running.

dan k.

Not impossible but if you saw the space you would understand the difficulty.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. All very helpful so I think I'm set. If anyone feels that keeping the tender unit under the hood will cause a hazard in some way please let me know.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:12 PM
DBOTHEBOSS
Instructor

Originally Posted by DVUSz06
If I had my vette outside for the winter under a cover, I would put tender under hood on passenger side, run electric cord from under car up to tender by inner fender and manifold and close hood. As stated earlier just remember to unhook before you start it up. Which I really don't think you would forget that. Just my .02
Thanks for the input. Glad someone with my exact situation was able to chime in. I take it you never had an issues? The warnings say to keep it as far from the batter as possible etc. I know those things are in place to be extra cautious...just thought I would respect the warnings and inquire.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:18 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

The battery tenders do not produce gas - the battery can produce hydrogen if it starts bubbling during charging. That won't happen with one of these "maintainers" putting out 2 amps or less. And whatever lighter-than-air hydrogen gas is produced will quickly dissipate and not be any problem. You are worrying about something that is not going to happen, so, like Bob Newhart said, "Stop it". Just run the cord under the car to get the plug up into the engine compartment out of the weather, attach it, cover up the car and that's it.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

I run the tender wire down the engine to the ground plug in from there. I close and fully latch the hood. Ifr you,re worried about rain put the box on a 2x4

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender Advice

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Clancy209
I run the tender wire down the engine to the ground plug in from there. I close and fully latch the hood. Ifr you,re worried about rain put the box on a 2x4
Taking the battery out of the car is UNNECESSARY unless you like to make work for yourself. The battery will LAST LONGER in a cold climate than in your warm home or basement.

Don't like the idea of running the wire to the ground? Plug one in your cigarette lighter and you don't even need to open the hood.

Folks here make simple things complicated. I'm sure most of you need another MOD!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Google battery tender gets hot... I've had three, still have one, will buy schumacher or ctek from now on.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:03 AM
jmohn
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
The battery tenders do not produce gas - the battery can produce hydrogen if it starts bubbling during charging. That won't happen with one of these "maintainers" putting out 2 amps or less. And whatever lighter-than-air hydrogen gas is produced will quickly dissipate and not be any problem. You are worrying about something that is not going to happen, so, like Bob Newhart said, "Stop it". Just run the cord under the car to get the plug up into the engine compartment out of the weather, attach it, cover up the car and that's it.

Exactly, I agree with exploring possibilities but you're over-thinking it.
As someone once said "do you worry about breaking your thumbs when you tie your shoes?"

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Advice