Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Stock rotors and pads for track day???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Stock rotors and pads for track day???

There is a track day coming up in a couple of months and I'd like to run my 02 Z06. Right now I have baer cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on the car for street use. I had the car on the track recently with this set up, but was only able to get about two laps in before the brakes started to fade really bad.
How do these cars run with the oem rotors and oem pads? I still have my oem set up which only has 2-3k miles of use. I was thinking of switching to the stock set up for the upcoming track day. I would hate to get out on the track though and only be able to get a few laps in. Also what about the oem rotors and race pad of some sort?

On a side note I also just had my C6 Z06 out on the track with oem rotors and ceramic pads. I had the same issue as the C5. With the C6 I was able to get about three laps in I did have an opportunity to drive a C6 Z06 with oem rotors and pads a couple of years ago and I got a 20 minute session in which was roughly 10-12 lap and zero fade.

I'm hoping I can run my C5 Z06 hard with oem rotors and pads for 10-12 laps without fade. Any feedback is sure appreciated.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM
idahoskiguy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fading in only two or three laps does not seem right, couple of thoughts:

1. How old is the brake fluid?
2. Bleed and fill with a 600 degree fluid
3. Are the brakes being abused?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Just to reiterate the fading was with the baer rotors and ceramic pads.
-brake fluid is only a few months old and I bled them with oem fluid from the dealer
-abused? I would say no, but the couple laps I did I would say were hot laps for sure.

I wonder if the oem rotors ands pads with oem brake fluid will hold up for a 20 minute session?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Which track? A big track with several straights into sharp turns is harder on brakes than a track with short straights and more turns. Stock brakes with quality fluid will "get you by" as long as you're paying attention and it sounds like you do.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

DO NOT USE CERAMIC PADS ON A RACE TRACK......

Now your OEM rotors are fine for track days your OEM pads may last for a session but you should really look into a track pad. Yes, there is several options out there. I truly believe in Carbotech and only sell Carbotech brake pads. For what your doing a proven combo that last all day is the XP10 front XP8 rear will work with OEM rotors and wont tear them up or your wheels or paint.

Carbotech™ XP10™ $201

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP8™ $158

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 AM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Change your pads and fluid

Originally Posted by NVNO1
There is a track day coming up in a couple of months and I'd like to run my 02 Z06. Right now I have baer cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on the car for street use. I had the car on the track recently with this set up, but was only able to get about two laps in before the brakes started to fade really bad.
How do these cars run with the oem rotors and oem pads? I still have my oem set up which only has 2-3k miles of use. I was thinking of switching to the stock set up for the upcoming track day. I would hate to get out on the track though and only be able to get a few laps in. Also what about the oem rotors and race pad of some sort?

On a side note I also just had my C6 Z06 out on the track with oem rotors and ceramic pads. I had the same issue as the C5. With the C6 I was able to get about three laps in I did have an opportunity to drive a C6 Z06 with oem rotors and pads a couple of years ago and I got a 20 minute session in which was roughly 10-12 lap and zero fade.

I'm hoping I can run my C5 Z06 hard with oem rotors and pads for 10-12 laps without fade. Any feedback is sure appreciated.
I also am running the Baer drilled and slotted rotors and had the same problem you did with ceramic pads and stock fluid. Changed to track pads and flushed/refilled brake system with hi-temp fluid prior to driving at Road America. Brakes stayed firm and reliable for all five 25 minute sessions. Some will advise that drilled and slotted rotors aren't best for track days - it is said they tend to crack. I put a number of sessions on mine at RA, Autobahn and at Bondurant over a couple of years without any failures. Possibly that's because I'm old and careful - old yes, careful - NOT! That said, if you're going to spend a lot of time on track it would probably be a good idea to go to stock rotors (they're relatively inexpensive to replace) or to some that are only slotted. There is lots of discussion regarding this in the Autocrossing & Roadracing section.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
DO NOT USE CERAMIC PADS ON A RACE TRACK......
Please listen to Adam......he is a pro
Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Thanks guys for the replies. Lots of good advice here. I think for starters I'm going to switch over to my stock rotors and pick up a set of the carbotech pads. Thanks Adam for the info on the pads! The track weekend is still a couple months out, but I'm looking forward to taking the Z out there.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks guys for the replies. Lots of good advice here. I think for starters I'm going to switch over to my stock rotors and pick up a set of the carbotech pads. Thanks Adam for the info on the pads! The track weekend is still a couple months out, but I'm looking forward to taking the Z out there.
No problem give me a call at 216-780-8825 when your ready to order.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 02-24-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Listen to Adam and do not track stock pads. I've had a few students show up to Sebring over the years running stock pads and needless to say they didn't last long and I had a "student free" day the rest of the day since they didn't have backups.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM
NVNO1
Pro

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Listen to Adam and do not track stock pads. I've had a few students show up to Sebring over the years running stock pads and needless to say they didn't last long and I had a "student free" day the rest of the day since they didn't have backups.
I know drivers, tracks and conditions vary, but roughly how may 20-25 minute sessions could be done with stock rotors and race pads before having to replace them?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I know drivers, tracks and conditions vary, but roughly how may 20-25 minute sessions could be done with stock rotors and race pads before having to replace them?
All depends on the driver, track and other variables. the Carbotech's are easy on rotors. Also, depends what condition they are in. A quality affordable rotor for track use is the Centric premium blanks check rock auto for those and they are fine for street.

One other thing, don't know if this has been mentioned change your fluid to DOT4.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 02-25-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I use to get around 3 days on XP12's on the front and XP10's in the back with brake ducting and R-comp running at Sebring.

I have a lot of seat time under my belt. As a newbie you could probably get 5 days, maybe more.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Mel624dk@gmail.com
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best stock set up I could find Dba 4000 rotors and hawk xp + pads. Get 3 to 4 days out of front pads no fade. Rotors lasted whole season still on car great set up
Old 02-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thank you all for the orders we appreciate it. Keep the phone calls, Emails, and PM’s coming we appreciate the opportunity to work with all of you. We are open until 9PM Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday until 6PM and always 24/7 at http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ use promo code z28 at check out to receive your forum discount.

Amp’D Autosport.com
Internet's largest retailer of Carbotech Performance Brake Pads.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used my stock rotors on mine for Autocross and about 3 track days plus about 40K street driving before they showed some cracks with Carbotechs on them. I like the feel of the Carbotechs and they are easier on rotors than the other race pads. I've done two track days at VIR last year and I will need replacement front pads for my next weekend so I don't risk losing track time or having to go to my backup pads and have to change them after each session

Get notified of new replies

To Stock rotors and pads for track day???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock rotors and pads for track day???