Sponsored by:

Tint Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Tint Removal...

I have had my '99 year and a half..for various reason I still haven't driven a whole lot at night..anyway my side windows had the darkest tint available. OK in the day time and the vegas scorching sun.

But last night I took a relaxing rainstorm cruise and man it was so black I felt like I was in a sealed box. Cruisin back on the back road felt disorienting not to see out the sides of the windows..At the stop signs I'd get soaked opening the windows just see properly.

First pic is taken before I de-tinted..today I found a great pro tint shop and invested $40 in the ol' money pit, and here's how she looks now.

Apologies for the unartistic carport shots, but you get the idea..

The factory tint is pretty nice, actually appears reasonably dark in a Black/Black car..
Attached Images    
Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Looks good I just paid 225 for tint removal and new.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

I know what you mean, really dark tint is a big problem at night. My side windows and hatch are 15 percent and I have the strip on the windshield which is 5 percent. I'm happy with how it looks on the car. I wouldnt go any darker though. At night, although visibility isnt horrible, its still a good bit darker in the cabin compared to when I didnt have tint at all. It does help with daytime/sunlight heat though. I cant believe some ppl have their windows tinted 5 percent including the windshield! I would never tint the windshield. Trying to drive at night would be scary!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,404 Likes on 14,030 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Never understood why owners tint the side windows so dark that it is almost impossible to see out of them when it's dark. Besides, it is illegal in this state to do so (max tint can only be 35%). Good move on your part to make it safer to drive at night.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:29 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I like your new look Saxy. I had a similar state when I purchased my 2001. My side windows were so dark, at night I could not see worth a hoot and the po had the inside of the windshield tinted. I removed all except the rear hatch tint and it is a much better vehicle to drive at night also.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by garline14
I know what you mean, really dark tint is a big problem at night. My side windows and hatch are 15 percent and I have the strip on the windshield which is 5 percent. I'm happy with how it looks on the car. I wouldnt go any darker though. At night, although visibility isnt horrible, its still a good bit darker in the cabin compared to when I didnt have tint at all. It does help with daytime/sunlight heat though. I cant believe some ppl have their windows tinted 5 percent including the windshield! I would never tint the windshield. Trying to drive at night would be scary!
That's exactly what got to me, it WAS a bit scary, almost a vertigo floating sensation, cruising at 55 on a dark sweeping 4 lane...all I could see were my headlight beams in the driving rain. I did a little more day driving today and I'm pleased.

I left my rear hatch glass Dark tint, glad I did..It helps with following bright headlights at night and prying eyes during the day.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:40 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

.... with VettemanJack in regards to the 35% tint, especially with a black interior car. Limo tint is just screaming for LEO's to have a probable cause to have a chat, ask me how I used to know. Cops get a little nervous or cautious when approaching a vehicle and can't even see the driver or any images.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks for the kind words from everyone..

I just realized how crappy my pics display my paint..good lord

well she's a little dusty and dirty from our recent Boulder City crazy weather, no garage queen here....but please trust me the car looks waaay better in person.. (not at all bad for a 10 footer)
Attached Images  

Last edited by SaxyVette; 01-06-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Kevinl
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
Thanks for the kind words from everyone..

I just realized how crappy my pics display my paint..good lord

well she's a little dusty and dirty from our recent Boulder City crazy weather, no garage queen here....but please trust me the car looks waaay better in person.. (not at all bad for a 10 footer)
No worries SaxyVette, your car looks great!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinl
No worries SaxyVette, your car looks great!
--------

Get notified of new replies

To Tint Removal...

Quick Reply: Tint Removal...