Sponsored by:

Replacing my Hankooks with new Hankooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing my Hankooks with new Hankooks

This really isn't a "what tire works best on my C5" thread. This is a " I have Hankooks on there now, I will put some on there again" thread.

I bought a new set right after I purchased the car a few years back. Couldn't take the run flats. too loud, too rough riding. The Hankooks now have over 30K miles on them and the fronts are starting to show some wear on the insides. These tires have treated me well and I will continue to use them as long as I own this or any other Corvette.

My thing is with purchasing new tires, I am toying with the idea of up grading to some affordable aftermarket wheels. Maybe.
An acquaintance of mine that has a C5 coupe, bought some take off C6 wheels. I do like the way the 18/19 fill out the fender wells at stock height, and I noticed the 18/19 C6 sizes are more prevalent than what is available for the 17/18. Though, not a fan of the factory C6 wheels. They look great on a C6.

Note;
(not to sound rude)
Please don't post links of past threads. I want interaction. I use search on here as much if not more than anyone, and I have Google and I know how to use it. This site is the best resource for everything Corvette.
Looking for "I've done this and this is what I ran into."

TPSM are a given with any wheels I buy.
From unbolting the old ones through bolting on the new ones. What "thing" am I not seeing?
I'm wondering about clearances to suspension and fenders, sitting or turning radiuses. Do I need to factor in spacers. Do I need to stay with factory C6 offsets, How wide can I go? Can I get into Z-06 sizes in the 18/19 and not stick out the side like some 70's Muscle car.
I think this is an easy peasy switch out. Just not in the mood to spend that kind of money and encounter surprises..

Thank you in advance
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Don
Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Pappy11
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I Like you am doing the Same Thing...Working on a deal right now with some C6 wheels and tires....I like the way they Look on the C5...From what I understand The stock C6 wheels will work just fine on the C5...the standard rear c6 is 10" wide..so won't be a big deal...I think it's when you get into larger wheels like 12" wide is where you get rubbing and clearance problems...But I am still new at all of this...so will be some good info
The following users liked this post:
Drummingdad (01-03-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have C6 Z06 wheels that are 12" in the rear. No clearance issues. It's tight on the inside but no rubbing. Does not stick out past the top of the wheel well. So no, the wider than 10" does not necessarily mean a problem.
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 AM
ricoZg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have OEM C6 Z06 take offs and my rear wheels stick out approximately 1/2" past the quarter panels. Doesn't bother me though. The 18/19 setup really does fill up the wheel wells nicely.

You can always get C6 replica wheels in C5 offsets and not worry about them sticking past the fenders.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have replica C6 wheels from the Tire Rack, Rear wheels are 11" wide and do not stick out. Hankook 265 x 18 front, 305 x 19 rear

Last edited by Bimmervet; 01-04-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone
I am taking away from this thread that there isn't a concern with making this slight modification. I thought this would be an easy task.

Below is a link to a set I'm considering. They have the C6 sizes and are offer in the C5 offsets. So I'm thinking win win.

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...4-_p_6283.html

Or!!....
Just replace the tires and put the cost of the wheels instead into the gas tank and Motel room fund.

Yet I would feel comfortable with this purchase, thanks!!

Don

Last edited by Drummingdad; 01-05-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing my Hankooks with new Hankooks

Quick Reply: Replacing my Hankooks with new Hankooks