Sponsored by:

Custom long gun box in C5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:13 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
For the uneducated or inexperienced: Those of us that have served, or are serving, the community as law enforcement officers do not consider our primary sidearm as false *****. It is a tool. A method of defense of lives, be those lives our own or someone else's.

I suggest you take your own advice and do not carry. It isn't for those who don't know what to do with a firearm.
I love the idea of well trained, responsible people carrying concealed weapons. The problem is there are too many immature knuckleheads out there carrying that took a class and think they are experts. It is why there are so many accidents and innocent people getting shot.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:39 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
For the uneducated or inexperienced: Those of us that have served, or are serving, the community as law enforcement officers do not consider our primary sidearm as false *****. It is a tool. A method of defense of lives, be those lives our own or someone else's.

I suggest you take your own advice and do not carry. It isn't for those who don't know what to do with a firearm.
And thank you for all you do

Regards
Chip

Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I like using something like this for my "normal" vehicles, don't have one in any of my sports cars....never thought about a long gun in the Vette.

http://www.monstervault.org/welcome.html

http://truckvault.com/Products/By_Type/TrunkVault.php

I own the truckvault version for my SUV....works good and is super quick to get into. You do have to get out of the vehicle and walk around to the back, but you can fit long guns (within reason on the length) no problem. An AR or defense shotgun would be no problem. The monster vault looks very well made, but is very heavy. I have no idea you would would fasten these types of safes securely in a Corvette.

For a Vette, this may be the best and lightest solution:
Amazon.com : SecureIt Tactical Harrier Fast Box Firearm Storage, Large, Black : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : SecureIt Tactical Harrier Fast Box Firearm Storage, Large, Black : Sports & Outdoors
If mounting in a Vette, since the safe is flat on the top surface it can be used for storage and stacking luggage, etc on top.....further hiding the safe from view.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
Kinda depends on what state you live in...

In VA a CCW holder can just open carry an assault rifle - just
sling it over your shoulder and walk into 7-11 (not that I suggest it)
Nor do we have any duty to retreat if we or any other individual is being
threatened with harm or perceived harm. In VA you could easily get your long gun
And engage a bad guy if their intention is to harm you or any other person

Regards
Chip
The duty to retreat is not the concern so much as the very grey area of 3rd party defense. If I find myself in danger with friends or family, I will ensure we all escape. I will not risk my life (and more importantly the legal aftermath) to engage a threat by myself unless someone I care about is in danger. This is my personal decision I've come to with a full consideration of the possible consequences.

Originally Posted by JR-01
I love the idea of well trained, responsible people carrying concealed weapons. The problem is there are too many immature knuckleheads out there carrying that took a class and think they are experts. It is why there are so many accidents and innocent people getting shot.
the same thing could be said for drivers....which tend to cause far more damage than firearms ever had. The general public is not typically afraid of firearm accidents because they lack the interpersonal aggression factor. A determined criminal or deranged individual going on a shooting spree on the other hand are what frightens the public. Some seek to solve the problem by removing guns (similar to removing cars from the road so there will be less traffic accidents)

It doesn't matter how many classes are legally required or how much background checking is needed, there are still people who will disregard rules, laws, or even simple safety tips when ever it suits their interests. The problem is not solved by a removal of firearms...or cars....
Old 12-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Statistics do not back up what you are stating. Those who carry and have taken the class you mock as a demographic have one of the lowest crime rates and lowest incident rates for innocent people getting shot etc. Your ignorant statement betrays your agenda.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:36 AM
94FormulaBird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperVetteC5
Never, ever leave a gun in the car. That would be crazy!
Ive left a pistol in my cars everyday since I was 18...locked in the glove box or center console.

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Enlighten me - why do you need a "trunk gun"? And a long gun/rifle/ automatic weapon, in the car?
Is that to stay in your car at all times, for some "emergency" or "protection" you feel you need, is it for when you transport it to the gun range for target practice, or for what?

I'm not against owning something like that (well maybe a little, it serves very little real use other than for killing people), and I have guns of my own, but personally I think it's ridiculous to carry that around in the car with you at all times, secured and locked up or not.
have you watched the news lately...**** happens...
Originally Posted by R1 Rider
Do you live in the hood? Is somebody after you?
no but 2 neighborhoods over isnt the coolest place around
Originally Posted by Rexde1
I like the idea but be advised even with a carry permit conservation laws usually prohibit loaded long guns in vehicles.
great thing about AR15s is I can keep the mags loaded and keep them stored as well
Originally Posted by Clancy209
Keeping a loaded gun in the car may get into trouble. It will make you grow false *****. I for one would not recommend it, but that's just my opinion
Ive had a loaded gun in the car since I was 18...***** have not grown, shrank, disappeared or multiplied
Trunk gun?
yep...a gun..in the trunk...typically of such a size that would not permit it in the glove box
Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Assuming it is short enough to fit width-wise in the cargo area, you might visit the idea of an amp rack type box. The degree of security would be entirely up to the materials used, but a 3/4" MDF construction properly upholstered (no pun intended) would provide a reasonably secure storage. You could easily put a lock on it if you wanted.

For something more secure, steel or heavy gauge aluminum would be needed.
thats what Im thinking
Originally Posted by c4cruiser
There should be enough room right behind the seats to install a box large enough for an AR. With matching carpeting, it would simply look like a storage area.

One thing you do have to check is the laws in your state regarding transporting firearms in a vehicle. Also where ammo would have to be stored. Is it legal in your state to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle?

A storage box would certainly have to be lockable as the '68 and later Corvettes don't have a "trunk" that is separate from the passenger compartment.

Wood may work to build the box, but you might want to consider having a metal box made. Aluminum might be a good choice and could be more difficult to get into if a thief breaks into the car. A locking mechanism for a metal box could be stronger that something that would be in a wooden box.
considering compartments in the box that keep loaded mags separate from the firearm
Get a Bull Pup, it will almost fir in the center console. 🔫
Got an Israeli Tavor, so small, so accurate.
have you seen a c5 center console?
I have been hunting and shooting for 50 years and believe it is irresponsible to have a loaded gun permanently in a car. Just asking for trouble. Ask Steven Jones. The weapon should be on you or within reach and removed from car when you leave.
A primary firearm will always be with me...if I stumble upon a situation that I cannot directly leave...I want to be ready for anything.

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I carry my weapon on the hip, just incase I need to fight my way to retrieve my long arm behind my seat. I also carry a fire extinguisher, have insurance, wear seat belts. I never plan to need them, but do plan not to be that dumbass who doesn't have them. I'm not living in a "Little Princess" world where unicorns and rainbows are the norm. I spent my entire career dealing with humans who want to kill you, so I'm not going to shirk my responsibility to myself or my loved ones and live as a victim.

I respect anyone who decides to carry or have nearby their weapons to use. I salute you!

Edited to add....Yes I wish we didn't ever need weapons, I would love to be able to never need them...... If I could pile them sky high and melt all of them down, I would. BUT I don't live in that world.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 AM
94FormulaBird
Advanced

The only reason I am considering this now is that Ive built a pretty solid ar15 for under $500(minus optic)....so IF it were to get stolen its not like Im losing one of my $1000+ ar15s(I have a few guns...its a sickness)...It is a basic 16in chromelined barrel, mid length gas system, magpul furniture ar15...it would make more since to use a short barreled rifle BUT Im not gambling a rifle I paid a $200 tax stamp for on top of the cost of the rifle...I have about 44-45in between the rear speakers just behind the seats...and more than enough width at the rear of the cargo area...maybe the box could be mounted on rails so it could slide and be accessed from drivers seat or rear of vehicle but that would involve lockable hinges on both sides of the box...my BIGGEST issue is going to be height for the box to open due to my car being a FRC..
Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 AM
94FormulaBird
Advanced

OR build a box that utilizes the cubby-holes at the rear...would make sense that way ammo/magazines would be "separate" from the firearm
Old 12-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been hunting and shooting for 50 years and believe it is irresponsible to have a loaded gun permanently in a car. Just asking for trouble. Ask Steven Jones. The weapon should be on you or within reach and removed from car when you leave.
I agree with this, mostly. There could be a time where you need to leave it in a car, and having a lock box is a responsible way of doing so. e.g. anytime he stops while transporting the gun, and leaves the car out of sight.

Enlighten me - why do you need a "trunk gun"? And a long gun/rifle/ automatic weapon, in the car?
Is that to stay in your car at all times, for somet "emergency" or "protection" you feel you need, is it for when you transport it to the gun range for target practice, or for what?

I'm not against owning something like that (well maybe a little, it serves very little real use other than for killing people), and I have guns of my own, but personally I think it's ridiculous to carry that around in the car with you at all times, secured and locked up or not.
Enlightening you probably won't change your view, will it? Maybe he is a cop, or some other profession where he needs it. But, he wants to be responsible about it when it's out of his sight.

I love when anti-gun people clump "long gun/rifle/automatic weapon" together as a synonym. It shows their poor education on the topic they are passionate enough about to offer their opinion. You might as well throw assault rifle in there too.

" it serves very little real use other than for killing people"
Yes, exactly. That is exactly why you have it. Or hunting, or target shooting, or crime...But mostly to shoot someone, or something.

"but personally I think it's ridiculous to carry that around in the car with you at all times."
You may not agree with it. It may not be the best course of action. But claiming it is ridiculous, especially concerning the current climate of active shooter scenarios, is fairly inflammatory...and ridiculous in its own right.
Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
interesting topic...
Let's see if we can stir it up a little.

Originally Posted by R1 Rider
Do you live in the hood? Is somebody after you?
Good reasons to have one.

Perhaps he works at a Planned Parenthood.
Active shooter is another good reason to have one.

Probably worried about the zombie apocalypse.
Stupid comment. We all know you really should have a ninja sword during the Zombie Apocalypse. That way you don't run out of bullets.

Obviously, kept in the back, in a box or case, the AR is not intended for self defense. Very smart to carry such an item of that weight and size soundly secured, especially in this type of vehicle. Keep in mind everything in the back of these cars, if not in the sunken storage area, can be a lethal projectile and is at close to head level in an accident.
Well thought out response.

Now, my opinion:

Why bring an AR to a gunfight, when you can bring a Gatling Gun.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by 94FormulaBird
The only reason I am considering this now is that Ive built a pretty solid ar15 for under $500(minus optic)....so IF it were to get stolen its not like Im losing one of my $1000+ ar15s(I have a few guns...its a sickness)...It is a basic 16in chromelined barrel, mid length gas system, magpul furniture ar15...it would make more since to use a short barreled rifle BUT Im not gambling a rifle I paid a $200 tax stamp for on top of the cost of the rifle...I have about 44-45in between the rear speakers just behind the seats...and more than enough width at the rear of the cargo area...maybe the box could be mounted on rails so it could slide and be accessed from drivers seat or rear of vehicle but that would involve lockable hinges on both sides of the box...my BIGGEST issue is going to be height for the box to open due to my car being a FRC..
I've been through this with a tactical vehicle in the 90's. Looks like a practical design for the storage box. With temperature and humidity changes remember to pull the weapon at least weekly and wipe/break it down to prevent moisture problems. Foam/sponge egg crate cushioning material holds moisture.

In order to have access from front/back of the vehicle you will have to maintain a clear cargo area so the sliders are functional. Anything blocking it renders them useless.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Surfer G
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

I got some black friday goodies and I built a pretty economical AR15 that I think Im going to deem my trunk gun. Problem is I want to make sure its secure inside the car. Has anyone built a custom gunbox/vault for the rear of their C5? Im going to do some research around and take some measurements and draw some stuff up and report back later.
My target rifles fit fine in the trunk of my vert. But I don't leave them there.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
frc319 (02-16-2020)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 AM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, This thread got political!
Old 12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Why not mount an ez rider rifle rack on the rear window likw we used to do with trucks and throw a blanket over it to conceal it
Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Trunk gun?
Trunk monkey is a better bet.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM
9mmNATO
Heel & Toe

Surfer G:
At first glance I thought you had a pair of cigarette lighters. Nice use of Ruger MK1.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:52 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

...I built a pretty economical AR15 that I think Im going to deem my trunk gun. Problem is I want to make sure its secure inside the car. Has anyone built a custom gunbox/vault for the rear of their C5? Im going to do some research around and take some measurements and draw some stuff up and report back later.
Whether or not you need to build a custom case depends on a lot of things....

16, 20, or 24 bbl, adjustable or M2 stock?
With or without carry handle and/or scope, iron sights, or iron fold-down sights?

If 16 or 20 with folding sights, then a short or medium Pelican or similar may fit (widthwise) in the back without mods.

Depending on overall height, you might even be able to get away with a softcase in the cargo net.

24" bbl and m2 stock will pretty much require a 52"+ case (pelican 1700 IIRC), which will not fit in the back at all.

Standard Airglide case will fit on the diagonal, but a 24" bbl/M2 with high front sight doesn't fit in the airglide.

All your other "range gear" bag(s) can be used to fill in the empty space to keep the case itself from sliding around.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be curious how many people posting comments on here have ever been in an actual fire fight. Its not as sexy as you think and I can tell you with 100% certainty not to many people are using "range fundamentals". Bury a few friends, see the collateral damage caused, and witness the carnage a 5.56 or 7.62 round can do to innocent woman and children...I'll leave it at that.

I for one will never carry a weapon with me in public. Especially something that can kill at long range. You can't take that round back once its been fired. Been there and done that. I'll just call 911 and attempt to hunker down with my family. Let the police handle it. it's what they get paid for and what they're trained to do. Besides, they don't need more people adding to the chaos.

Last edited by sgmz06; 12-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom long gun box in C5?

Old 12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
94FormulaBird
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgmz06
I'd be curious how many people posting comments on here have ever been in an actual fire fight. Its not as sexy as you think and I can tell you with 100% certainty not to many people are using "range fundamentals" Bury a few friends, see the collateral damage caused, and witness the carnage a 5.56 or 7.62 round can do to innocent woman and children...I'll leave it at that.

I for one will never carry a weapon with me in public. Especially something that can kill at long range. You can't take that round back once its been fired. Been there and done that. I'll just call 911 and attempt to hunker down with my family. Let the police handle it. it's what they get paid for and what they're trained to do. Besides, they don't need more people adding to the chaos.
with that mindset you also chose to let a small kitchen fire spread and engulf the whole house while you wait for the fire department since thats what they get paid for and are trained to do...

if you(and I dont mean you directly as I see you are military) are an AVERAGE non practicing individual then I can see why you feel everyone else is as inept as you when it comes to firearms safety and marksmanship...but when/if **** hits the fan...I will not be a victim...I will not sit idly by and watch people be slaughtered while we wait 5-10 minutes for the police to arrive...we have the right as Americans to own firearms and to take it another step and practice to the point where the firearms is an extension of yourself...that way IF that day comes you and those around you can be part of the solution and not add to the problem...I grew up on 96 acres and have shot more than the average person...static and dynamic target drills...plan is to compete in pistol and long gun matches when Im done wrapping up this degree...

Last edited by 94FormulaBird; 12-07-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:31 PM
94FormulaBird
Advanced

Originally Posted by aj98
Whether or not you need to build a custom case depends on a lot of things....

16, 20, or 24 bbl, adjustable or M2 stock?
With or without carry handle and/or scope, iron sights, or iron fold-down sights?

If 16 or 20 with folding sights, then a short or medium Pelican or similar may fit (widthwise) in the back without mods.

Depending on overall height, you might even be able to get away with a softcase in the cargo net.

24" bbl and m2 stock will pretty much require a 52"+ case (pelican 1700 IIRC), which will not fit in the back at all.

Standard Airglide case will fit on the diagonal, but a 24" bbl/M2 with high front sight doesn't fit in the airglide.

All your other "range gear" bag(s) can be used to fill in the empty space to keep the case itself from sliding around.
I have plenty of cases to fit the bill of transporting rifles...Im looking for something secured to the car that will house a long gun 95% of the time..
Old 12-07-2015, 03:34 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I have plenty of cases to fit the bill of transporting rifles...Im looking for something secured to the car that will house a long gun 95% of the time..
Like I said before, It is irresponsible to permanently keep a gun in a car unless you are a member of SWAT.

Quick Reply: Custom long gun box in C5?