Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM
pologreen91
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Front License Plate Frame

So I was on the forum yesterday reading posts by other Texas Corvette owners and it caught my attention that Texas requires 2 license plates. I've been running with the painted cover. I went home and took it off and installed the plate and of course it looks like crap. I found the front black plastic and painted frames at Mid-America and Ecklers no problem. I was just wondering if anyone had any other cool ideas they use that make it look a little more finished?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Although I'd love a screened filler, the only one that looks real nice is the Halltech and it's way too pricey for what it is IMO. The DIY cut-out standard filler screen looks too forward compared to the other screens on a Z to me (the other screens are inset). Add that it's illegal here in BC also, and I likely won't bother.
My current plan is to buy a clear panel, paint it with something like VHT Nite Shades (meant for "blacking out" plastic lights) paint it just enough to give it a light smoked look. Either that or buy some tint film and paint the outer area where the film won't wrap. Will this be legal? No. Would any cop stop me for it? Highly doubt it, not here.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 PM
garllo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pologreen91
So I was on the forum yesterday reading posts by other Texas Corvette owners and it caught my attention that Texas requires 2 license plates. I've been running with the painted cover. I went home and took it off and installed the plate and of course it looks like crap. I found the front black plastic and painted frames at Mid-America and Ecklers no problem. I was just wondering if anyone had any other cool ideas they use that make it look a little more finished?
I bought a black plastic filler , sanded it smooth and painted it. you need to use the primer for plastic before it's painted to promote adhesion. I've never had a problem with the paint. Incidentally, I did this when I had my '98 coupe which was Silver. When I sold the car I kept the filler and repainted it Torch Red!

Last edited by garllo; 09-25-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,434 Likes on 14,047 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some have bought a clear cover and then carefully painted it to where is still showed the important stuff on the plate but provided a more finished look to that area. Check out posts 21 and 27 in this thread for pics:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...se+plate+cover
Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This is how I did mine, following Toque's instructions.

http://www.toquez06.com/plate.html
Old 09-25-2015, 11:06 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

My first mod. Had the cover before I got the car Oct.1/2004.

frank
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 PM
RHWjr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have the cover made? That is by far the coolest front license plate set up I've seen on a Corvette.

The way the cover retains the bumper shape and the matching blue paint looks great.

I need it in Torch Red.

I want one!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:37 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Here you go.
Got mine from West Coast Corvettes.

frank

Originally Posted by RHWjr
Did you have the cover made? That is by far the coolest front license plate set up I've seen on a Corvette.

The way the cover retains the bumper shape and the matching blue paint looks great.

I need it in Torch Red.

I want one!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RHWjr

I need it in Torch Red.

I want one!
I also purchased a clear plate cover from West Coast Corvettes, and painted it. I have never seen anyone selling them already painted.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen91
Let me get this straight. You are from Texas, and you just figured out it's a two plate state? That one needs some follow up....

BTW Jetz, that is by far the best looking option. I would consider doing that and running a front plate myself.

Shakey
Old 09-26-2015, 11:23 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

When you mask off the back, make the 'window' with rounded corners that mimic the curvature of the cover itself like Toque, and I did. NOT square corners like the RED car, just does not belong, sticks out like a sore thumb IMHO.
No feng shui?

frank

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Let me get this straight. You are from Texas, and you just figured out it's a two plate state? That one needs some follow up....

BTW Jetz, that is by far the best looking option. I would consider doing that and running a front plate myself.

Shakey

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate Frame

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Frame